ReefCleaners.org

Smith's ADA 60-F *Retired*

Smithjm5

nismo_sky32

Nice tank! How are you liking the filter? I just picked up the last 60f from the ada website to start my second build and I still haven't started a thread on the first one lol

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank! How are you liking the filter? I just picked up the last 60f from the ada website to start my second build and I still haven't started a thread on the first one lol

Thanks! So far I like it a lot, maintenance is pretty simple, I just clean out the sponge and change the filter floss once a week, and I replaced the carbon pellets it came with, with some of the new chemi pure blue. and the pump it has on it is silent so that's great too. Overall it works well. Can't wait to see a thread of your 60-F you'll love it!

So I was at home today off from work, sitting around bored staring at the tank and caught aquascape fever again and decided to move some stuff around. I didn't really touch the right side of the tank because the I like it already and didn't wanna mess up my shrimps little burrow lol. I made somewhat of a wall on the left side and free'd up a lot of sand bed this way and it gives my fish more caves/cracks to swim around. It's all just puzzled together so nothing is set, just wanted y'all s thoughts! Also, what do you think about the rock in the middle by itself i'm debating on whether to leave it...

Please excuse the hair algae, still trying to get rid of it!

14107920938_824807ea90_c.jpg

14107924970_18b10f0354_c.jpg

14108017398_4155bb3174_c.jpg

Yep, I like it! I'm a fan of the lone rock.

I'm glad you like it! I have a small frag of some star polyps on it now that will hopefully fully encrust it!

Looking good... I am a fan of the new scape and totally the fever to move some rocks around. :)

Thanks Handzoff, I just can't stare at the same thing for so long lol, and with all the other shallow reefs like your's, it's hard to pick one scape!

deathbyart

Thanks! So far I like it a lot, maintenance is pretty simple, I just clean out the sponge and change the filter floss once a week, and I replaced the carbon pellets it came with, with some of the new chemi pure blue. and the pump it has on it is silent so that's great too. Overall it works well. Can't wait to see a thread of your 60-F you'll love it!

Exactly what I was checking up on. Glad to see it's all coming together. :)

Exactly what I was checking up on. Glad to see it's all coming together. :)

Thanks! Now i'm just trying to wait out this algae before adding much more haha

Wait out ? Like keep nutrients low and stuff lol

Haha! it's more of a wait on my bank account to be honest lol, but really I just wanna get everything cleaned up first.

I like it! It has a good balance to it, looks natural, not forced.

Thank ya! That's what I was going for, wanted it to flow together real well.

So I have some bad news... I woke up this morning to just one clownfish swimming around the tank :( The female is MIA at the moment. I looked all over the floor and under the stand and cant find her anywhere so I don't think it was floor surfing, but there are no remains whatsoever in the tank either! I'm really stumped on this one guys. And now her boyfriend is just swimming in the back by the heater (he was never the adventurous one)

Nanofreak79

That sucks. It's always terrible to lose fish. I know I get a little attached to mine. Have you looked everywhere, even further from the tank than you think it could go. I just say this because I've found some very far from the tank before.

That sucks. It's always terrible to lose fish. I know I get a little attached to mine. Have you looked everywhere, even further from the tank than you think it could go. I just say this because I've found some very far from the tank before.

I figured it out, I was on the way to the LFS and my dad called me and said he found it on the floor this morning (i'm in college and still live at home lol) So he said he it was dead when he looked at it :( At least I know what happened now though. While I was at the LFS I asked them if my clown would pair up again and they said it should but I'd need a smaller one but I told them the one I have is already really small but he said it would still work. Anyway, they had a platinum that I wanted to get but I told them I was going to get a lid made before I buy another. So I have that to look forward too! Picked up a Mexican turbo while I was their to help with the algae, and a few corals!

Roshan8768

Awesome tank man... you've done a great job so far. I had a pair of clowns for a year and a half until one night I forgot to put the lid back on. The one night since I've had that thing that there's no lid on the tank and he jumps :furious: All fish can and will jump... it's just a matter of time. Lids are ugly IMO but just make the cleanest looking one you can and grin and bear it. Beside's you can always take it off whenever you are around the tank (at least I do)

Also, if your remaining clown is really small I would just get one that's at least 1.5-2 x as big as it and you should end up with a pair sooner. Just make sure you get one soon if you go this route, otherwise the one you have will begin to turn female

Awesome tank man... you've done a great job so far. I had a pair of clowns for a year and a half until one night I forgot to put the lid back on. The one night since I've had that thing that there's no lid on the tank and he jumps :furious: All fish can and will jump... it's just a matter of time. Lids are ugly IMO but just make the cleanest looking one you can and grin and bear it. Beside's you can always take it off whenever you are around the tank (at least I do)

Also, if your remaining clown is really small I would just get one that's at least 1.5-2 x as big as it and you should end up with a pair sooner. Just make sure you get one soon if you go this route, otherwise the one you have will begin to turn female

Thanks for the kind words and advice...It does suck to lose a fish just when everything started to go smoothly, but I learned my lesson. The guy at my lfs gave me a good idea he said that one of the guys that worked there god some acrylic rods together and super glued netting to that so I think I'm going to give that a go. Also on the clownfish he told me the same thing that if I got one that was a good bit bigger that was solo (already a female) that it should work. But he didn't say I should do it quickly. About how long do you think I Have till my current one becomes a female?

Roshan8768

Thanks for the kind words and advice...It does suck to lose a fish just when everything started to go smoothly, but I learned my lesson. The guy at my lfs gave me a good idea he said that one of the guys that worked there god some acrylic rods together and super glued netting to that so I think I'm going to give that a go. Also on the clownfish he told me the same thing that if I got one that was a good bit bigger that was solo (already a female) that it should work. But he didn't say I should do it quickly. About how long do you think I Have till my current one becomes a female?

I think the sooner the better... I'm not sure that I'm well read enough to give you a quantifiable answer :lol: If I were you I would shoot to get one in the next 2 weeks. Getting a significantly larger one should get you a "pair" with less fighting faster. If you go for a small one as they originally suggested it'll likely be months before they figure out who's who :rolleyes:

Regarding the lid... what did you do with the mesh one that you made? That looked nice IMO, maybe you can make one like that but smaller so that it sits inside the rim on a couple of clips that make a "lip" for it to sit on. This way it's flush with the rim and doesn't ruin the clean lines of your tank

I think the sooner the better... I'm not sure that I'm well read enough to give you a quantifiable answer :lol: If I were you I would shoot to get one in the next 2 weeks. Getting a significantly larger one should get you a "pair" with less fighting faster. If you go for a small one as they originally suggested it'll likely be months before they figure out who's who :rolleyes:

Regarding the lid... what did you do with the mesh one that you made? That looked nice IMO, maybe you can make one like that but smaller so that it sits inside the rim on a couple of clips that make a "lip" for it to sit on. This way it's flush with the rim and doesn't ruin the clean lines of your tank

I'll probably get one by then haha :D

And with the old lid I still have it but when I got the lily pipes for the filter I couldn't figure out a way to make cutout for those lily pipes to poke out without messing up the netting/it sinking in the water

But with the rods I should be able to make "cutouts" around the pipes so hopefully that will work :happy:

Roshan8768

Nice, sounds like you have a plan. I have a nice 1" long gap along the back of my top on my 40Breeder because I was too lazy to engineer a way to make cutouts for all my equipment. I've only had diamond gobies jump through there, and I stopped buying those :D

​You should check out my pico - I just started it back up!

Alright new coral pics :D Still Iphone pics, sorry! Working on getting a dslr!

Sweet new ric! Pink&purple

14367778485_8ab795204f.jpg

14367758545_d3287912a3.jpg

And Some awesome green zoa's (I don't follow any of the names of these, neither does my lfs sorry!)

14387927133_8f5d8d85f7_c.jpg

And finally a turbo to help with all this freaking algae! haha (I named him Pedro B) )

14364429911_133457cc06_z.jpg

Nice, sounds like you have a plan. I have a nice 1" long gap along the back of my top on my 40Breeder because I was too lazy to engineer a way to make cutouts for all my equipment. I've only had diamond gobies jump through there, and I stopped buying those :D

​You should check out my pico - I just started it back up!

Haha :lol: I'll be sure to check it out!

Nanofreak79

Nice rics. I love those. The zoas look like radioactive dragon eyes. Dragon eyes can vary a little depending on lighting.

Mexican turbo named Pedro, I love it.

Roshan8768

+1 the zoas are definitely radioactive dragoneyes... I had mine in med-high light and med-high indirect flow and it grew like weeds for me

Nice rics. I love those. The zoas look like radioactive dragon eyes. Dragon eyes can vary a little depending on lighting.

Mexican turbo named Pedro, I love it.

Dragon eyes hmm?... That sounds awesome lol, And yea I love rics they kinda have become my obsession lol, I wanna fill that whole right corner of the tank with them eventually. Haha yea, he's a algae eating machine!

Archived