inTank Media Baskets

Smith's ADA 60-F *Retired*

Smithjm5

That's green hair algae. I'd pick it off with my hands, do a large water change and pace myself on feeding for a week. I wouldn't add a fish or any other critters to target it - it's not that serious. It's a young tank and you have to "pay dues", no biggie.

Couldn't have said it better. If anything a small turbo snail of it were to get a lot worse but I'd remove him after the algae is gone

Manual removal will be your best bet, water changes will help keep it from coming back until your bioload balances out. I wouldn't really add any snails, you can pull out a lot more with water changes than a snail will eat and ultimately add to your bioload.

That's what I figured would help the best, thanks for the info guys! Now I just need to wait for my new bucket of salt to get here this week... but I just did a water change the day before yesterday so I should be good till then :D

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my Marine Depot order, trying a new salt out.. Any of ya'll use it? Also picked up the two little fishies nano mag this thing is awesome! Was surprised how well it works. Finally I got some coral glue, it's the ecotech marine elements coral glue, anyone use it?

13952441920_9c1e44ea9a.jpg13952454708_6b99534401.jpg13952444620_936322c526.jpg

Nanofreak79

Salt is good, and very popular. I used it for a year or so. The nano mag is awesome, I'll agree there. The ecotech glue sucks IMO. It hardens into the cap and is useless after about half the bottle, IME.

Watch your mag, after about 6 mos mine started rusting on the inside of the tank.
I had that happen to. I know you can order just the algae scraping side.
FlowerMama

Maybe you can bend part of a paperclip in there keeping a long section out so you can pull it out. Don't know if that would work or not. I use the Loctite Super Glue Gel, it's 2 something at Walmart in the school or hardware section, like a dollar more at home improvement stores.

Maybe you can bend part of a paperclip in there keeping a long section out so you can pull it out. Don't know if that would work or not. I use the Loctite Super Glue Gel, it's 2 something at Walmart in the school or hardware section, like a dollar more at home improvement stores.

I though about using something like that but wasn't sure if it be toxic.

RSCP is great I just switched over to it, make sure to mix it per their instructions and videos, it is NOT made to be mixed for long periods of time or stored for extended periods as it will precipitate. When mixing no heavy surface agitation, no aeration, no heater and no mixing for over 2 hours. Weigh out your salt if possible or 1/2 cup per gallon is about the same. Bucket + Water + Strong PH/Wavemaker + Salt + 5 min = crystal clear water.

I had a nano mag in my old cube for about a year and the inside mag looked like it was popping out/rusting. Sent an email to TLF and they sent me a new inside part, been using that for the past 7 months without any issues I think it depends on the thickness of the glass.

The glue I just use loctite super glue gel from Home Depot, can't comment on the Ecotech stuff but I dare to guess its the same thing just re-labeled. Paperclip idea is good and shouldn't be toxic as there's nothing to rust the paper clip. If you empty out the nozzle after using and keep it tight and sealed it shouldn't clog up.

RSCP is great I just switched over to it, make sure to mix it per their instructions and videos, it is NOT made to be mixed for long periods of time or stored for extended periods as it will precipitate. When mixing no heavy surface agitation, no aeration, no heater and no mixing for over 2 hours. Weigh out your salt if possible or 1/2 cup per gallon is about the same. Bucket + Water + Strong PH/Wavemaker + Salt + 5 min = crystal clear water.

I had a nano mag in my old cube for about a year and the inside mag looked like it was popping out/rusting. Sent an email to TLF and they sent me a new inside part, been using that for the past 7 months without any issues I think it depends on the thickness of the glass.

The glue I just use loctite super glue gel from Home Depot, can't comment on the Ecotech stuff but I dare to guess its the same thing just re-labeled. Paperclip idea is good and shouldn't be toxic as there's nothing to rust the paper clip. If you empty out the nozzle after using and keep it tight and sealed it shouldn't clog up.

In reference to the salt when you said not to mix it with the heater, should I just mix it and then bring it up to temp with the heater after mixing for awhile?

And for the glue I didn't mean the paper clip being toxic, just the loctite itself but thanks!

In reference to the salt when you said not to mix it with the heater, should I just mix it and then bring it up to temp with the heater after mixing for awhile?

And for the glue I didn't mean the paper clip being toxic, just the loctite itself but thanks!

They recommend water at room temperature 20C/68F, mixing till clear then heating to 25C/77F if desired. For the 60-F you probably would want to get the temperature close to not cause a huge drop in temperature but also depends how large of a water change you plan to do.

As for the glue anything that is only cyanoacrylate is 100% safe, just don't get anything with other stuff mixed into it. A lot of people, myself included use the Loctite gel with no issues.

They recommend water at room temperature 20C/68F, mixing till clear then heating to 25C/77F if desired. For the 60-F you probably would want to get the temperature close to not cause a huge drop in temperature but also depends how large of a water change you plan to do.

As for the glue anything that is only cyanoacrylate is 100% safe, just don't get anything with other stuff mixed into it. A lot of people, myself included use the Loctite gel with no issues.

Alright cool that's how I did it tonight. So I just finished my water change, did about 2 1/2 gallons and this salt does clear up really fast! So so far i'm digging it.

As for the hair algae... it had gotten pretty bad over this week while waiting for the new salt to do another water change. So I got a tooth brush and scrubbed the crap out of those rocks for about twenty minutes and man is that stuff a pain to get off haha. I got most of it off so hopefully more frequent water changes will get rid of the rest. I guess time will tell. Everything else is doing well, fish seem happy and are getting bigger (I think lol) and all the corals seem happy! The only thing is the lily pipes are proving to be more maintenance than I thought. It might just be because the tank is still new but they gather a good bit of algae on them to where I have to clean them off about once a week, so not a huge deal. I think I'm going to be ordering some chemi pure elite and purigen this week to switch out with the stock filter media in the canister. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated! Thanks! :D

Nice, glad to hear the salt worked out for you! Ya, initial algae bloom is such a pain/eyesore but hopefully should curve off.

Nice, glad to hear the salt worked out for you! Ya, initial algae bloom is such a pain/eyesore but hopefully should curve off.

Yea it really is but it already is looking a lot better. I just need to get some more corals in there!

I have used Red Sea Coral Pro since day one with my tank and have had no issues. Its pretty much one of the only salts I can get my hands on in Australia on a reliable basis.

Got some stuff in the mail and took a trip to the LFS and picked up a few goodies B) More pics to follow once everything gets situated!

14178086312_7a6fb2e8b5.jpg

For Le lilly pipes!

14180768464_916949dd2d.jpg

And I thought I'd try out some chemi pure blue

13994114370_bd0d46bcac.jpg

Here I thought you were posting pics.....nope just a joe cool emoji.

You want pics? I'll give you a little somethin haha, I found this little guy hitching a ride on one of my new corals, anyone know what kind of starfish (I guess that's what it is) this is?

13994415800_238bb466dc_c.jpg

FlowerMama

Thanks! So that's what it's called?

I have no idea! sounded good though. I typed it with such confidence!

That green ric looks sweet under the LEDs, so bright! If it's easy to grab I always grab/toss starfish, they can overrun your tank pretty quickly especially a small one but everyone has their own opinions regarding them.

That green ric looks sweet under the LEDs, so bright! If it's easy to grab I always grab/toss starfish, they can overrun your tank pretty quickly especially a small one but everyone has their own opinions regarding them.

Thanks,I might if I can find the little sucker, he's quick haha

So my Iphone is being retarded tonight and doesn't seem to want to focus... but I thought I'd try and get some pics up even tho they look ehhh haha, so here ya go.

Some GSP

14165808916_08bc261b2f_c.jpg

Blue Ric

14209086553_7490c68f57_c.jpg

And a really crappy pic of some zoa's I got haha, not sure what there called...

14188890064_59f739efb5_z.jpg

Archived