Top Shelf Aquatics

2G Cube [Casa Del Zoa]

Reefkid88

jedimasterben

The 'hot spot' of T5 bulbs is the end where the writing is, and should sit around 95F for best results.

3 Blue Plus and a Coral Plus would be very blue IMHO.

The 'hot spot' of T5 bulbs is the end where the writing is, and should sit around 95F for best results.

Do you think 2 96mm on top of the fixture would be better or 2 60mm on the end of the fixture near the end capswould be more suffice ?

I think 2 blue+ a coral+ and a lagoon blue by guiesmann would be pretty decent as well possibly. Lagoon blue is more 15k supposedly. How do you think a Midday (65k) bulb would fair in the mix ?

jedimasterben

I've never seen a T5 bulb that could be described as '15K', much less the god-awful Lagoon Blue. The Lagoon Blue is a yellow bulb, using mostly green light.

I've never seen a T5 bulb that could be described as '15K', much less the god-awful Lagoon Blue. The Lagoon Blue is a yellow bulb, using mostly green light.

If I'm not mistaken that's what Marine Depots description says,it does say it's a blueish green bulb. I could be wrong though lol. I do have a WavePoint 10k bulb I could throw in to mess with the spectrum if it's TOO blue.

Edit: it says turquoise and white lol nvm hahaha.

I like the last one best.

i like C best, two asymmetrical island FTW

Thanks guys. I'm half tempted to add a poll to this and see what everyone thinks lol.

EDIT: Okay,I added a poll omgomgomg

My vote was for C, but E looks good too.

I'm running my 6 bulb with 3 blue+, 1 coral+, and 2 actinics and it doesn't seem that blue to me, even with the actinics off.

jedimasterben

I'm running my 6 bulb with 3 blue+, 1 coral+, and 2 actinics and it doesn't seem that blue to me, even with the actinics off.

Really? What ballasts are they running on?

EDIT: Looked at your thread, you're using proper ballasts in the ATI fixture. Looks a little heavy on the blue, washing out the colors of your fish, in the latest DSLR pics I saw, but that could just be the camera being uncooperative.

#ClusterF*ck ftw :P

*Full disclosure* I saw the poll on the first page and voted E just because it was funny then when I went to look at the scapes I actually did like option E the best! Lol

I just don't want a HEAVY blue look. Something crisp and about 16k'ish is what I'm aiming for. I'm hoping 2 Blue+ will be enough to cover the blue spectrum of the light. And Purple+ should be nice too.

To everyone popping in and voting,which ever scape gets the most votes by the end of the weekend,will be my scape. So feel privileged :D

jedimasterben

I just don't want a HEAVY blue look. Something crisp and about 16k'ish is what I'm aiming for. I'm hoping 2 Blue+ will be enough to cover the blue spectrum of the light. And Purple+ should be nice too.

All of the ATI bulbs peak at ~445nm, so you'll have no shortage of blue lol. Using one Purple Plus and one Coral Plus instead of two Coral Plus will get you a little bluer and a little better color in reds.

All of the ATI bulbs peak at ~445nm, so you'll have no shortage of blue lol. Using one Purple Plus and one Coral Plus instead of two Coral Plus will get you a little bluer and a little better color in reds.

I saw that looking at their spectral graph on AquariumSpecialty. I think I may stick to my original plan of 2 B+,1 P+ & 1 C+. I just called 4 LFS's and one has ATI bulbs but they are $28 a bulb,they other doesn't have any in stock and 2 others ones don't even carry them.. Regardless it'll be cheaper to order online. Unless Salty Supply (which has a warehouse down the road from me) has them in stock at their warehouse.

jedimasterben

I saw that looking at their spectral graph on AquariumSpecialty. I think I may stick to my original plan of 2 B+,1 P+ & 1 C+. I just called 4 LFS's and one has ATI bulbs but they are $28 a bulb,they other doesn't have any in stock and 2 others ones don't even carry them.. Regardless it'll be cheaper to order online. Unless Salty Supply (which has a warehouse down the road from me) has them in stock at their warehouse.

It's pretty much always cheaper to order online. :/

Also, you can consider the newer Giesemann bulbs. I'm using the Aquablue Coral (Coral Plus equivalent) and Actinic Blue (Blue Plus equivalent) and they have basically the same PAR output and nearly the same look, though the Giesemann white bulb is a fudge less purple in appearance than the Coral Plus. I believe they're now the same price as ATI bulbs at most places, so they're an option to consider.

It's pretty much always cheaper to order online. :/

Also, you can consider the newer Giesemann bulbs. I'm using the Aquablue Coral (Coral Plus equivalent) and Actinic Blue (Blue Plus equivalent) and they have basically the same PAR output and nearly the same look, though the Giesemann white bulb is a fudge less purple in appearance than the Coral Plus. I believe they're now the same price as ATI bulbs at most places, so they're an option to consider.

It really is. Some places cheaper than others. I'll have to look in to Giesemann bulbs. Salty Supply is only a few minutes down the road from my girlfriends house,so I can have her pick them up for me.

I'm pretty sure Salty Supply should have them in stock. I ordered mine from them and had them delivered next day(I just did not have time to drive out there.)

They do. I emailed them,and being able to pick them up and not have to pay shipping is always nice,plus not having to wait lol. They are 10 minutes from my girlfriends house near Ronald Reagan so it's not bad.

Idk if both my heaters are bad,or what. I've got a Tetra 25w and a Aqueon 10w heater BOTH on in the tank,and it's around 76.8-77.4-5.. Which is STUPID. So I added my Hydor Pico pump back to the tank,which is way too good at reacting heat lol.

Does anyone agree they could be "bad" ?

jedimasterben

Idk if both my heaters are bad,or what. I've got a Tetra 25w and a Aqueon 10w heater BOTH on in the tank,and it's around 76.8-77.4-5.. Which is STUPID. So I added my Hydor Pico pump back to the tank,which is way too good at reacting heat lol.

So is ~77 bad? Keep in mind that if the room the tank is in drops in temp more than normal that the heaters may not keep up.