inTank Media Baskets

2G Cube [Casa Del Zoa]

Reefkid88

Nanofreak79

I drip acclimate all my corals and fish. I have not had any deaths or unhappy coral from doing so. when you give time to acclimate and dip, you reduce the amount of nasties that might go unseen as well. salinity swings are bad for our aquariums and stress coral and fish. you can always just toss stuff in too, many reefers do it.......

• Like 1

Last night,I deep cleaned the crap out of the tank. The glass and bottom of the tank were disgusting,rocks were covered in nastiness and all that jazz. Took a toothbrush,scrubbed the bottom of the tank,and the rocks. I had to get behind the rock work,so I took them all out siphoned everything out. Also did 2 gallon water change.

New FTS:

image-19.jpg

I drip acclimate all my corals and fish. I have not had any deaths or unhappy coral from doing so. when you give time to acclimate and dip, you reduce the amount of nasties that might go unseen as well. salinity swings are bad for our aquariums and stress coral and fish. you can always just toss stuff in too, many reefers do it.......

Honestly,with how bad the frag was I got over the weekend,I'm drip acclimating EVERYTHING from now on. Regardless of what people say. It's just not worth it. I found zoa pox,nudi's and bubble algae all on one piece. That's enough for me.

• Like 3
CatfishSoupFTW

Last night,I deep cleaned the crap out of the tank. The glass and bottom of the tank were disgusting,rocks were covered in nastiness and all that jazz. Took a toothbrush,scrubbed the bottom of the tank,and the rocks. I had to get behind the rock work,so I took them all out siphoned everything out. Also did 2 gallon water change.

New FTS:

image-19.jpg

Honestly,with how bad the frag was I got over the weekend,I'm drip acclimating EVERYTHING from now on. Regardless of what people say. It's just not worth it. I found zoa pox,nudi's and bubble algae all on one piece. That's enough for me.

I bought some coral recently (cant remember the name, if you check my 10 gallon build thread maybe you canhelp me out ) anyway, it has a skeletal build to it, and it was my first proper dip, as before I was doing freshwater dip. I used revive, and my god i was beyond shocked on how many mofos were in there. Easily 20 or so bad guys in there, which I made sure they all died! the only thing I saved was this little tiny crab (a safe one, forget its name) and some brittle starfish. Dip for daayyyysssssss. But acclimation, I dont really do it. so far so good with all my frags.

• Like 1

I bought some coral recently (cant remember the name, if you check my 10 gallon build thread maybe you canhelp me out ) anyway, it has a skeletal build to it, and it was my first proper dip, as before I was doing freshwater dip. I used revive, and my god i was beyond shocked on how many mofos were in there. Easily 20 or so bad guys in there, which I made sure they all died! the only thing I saved was this little tiny crab (a safe one, forget its name) and some brittle starfish. Dip for daayyyysssssss. But acclimation, I dont really do it. so far so good with all my frags.

Do you happen to have the link to your thread ?

Honestly,I'm acclimating from now on. Gives you time to catch things you otherwise wouldn't if you just float and dump in the tank. You think I would have learned the hard way when my old 5 gallon was infested with flat worms because I just floated all my stuff. But like I said,after the rock I got Saturday,I'm not second guessing anything. Dripping all day.

• Like 1
CatfishSoupFTW

Do you happen to have the link to your thread ?

Honestly,I'm acclimating from now on. Gives you time to catch things you otherwise wouldn't if you just float and dump in the tank. You think I would have learned the hard way when my old 5 gallon was infested with flat worms because I just floated all my stuff. But like I said,after the rock I got Saturday,I'm not second guessing anything. Dripping all day.

What's your process of this acclimation ? At the moment I am just dipping but if there is a better redundancy I'm up for it.

Oops. Here yeah go

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/346638-10-gallon-starfire-build/

What's your process of this acclimation ? At the moment I am just dipping but if there is a better redundancy I'm up for it.

Oops. Here yeah go

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/346638-10-gallon-starfire-build/

Clean build btw. But I take a normal kitchen measuring cup,pour the water from the bag the coral are in,take airline tubing and tie a pretty tight knot in it until I get about 1-2 drops a second,them let the water fill to around a cup,pour out to less than a cup,and fill back up to the cup line. Let sit for about 10-15 minutes then put them in.

Mmm.... Coral dip. :D

Corals is dope. B)

Thanks mange.

I'm going to fresh water dip the "rock" I got in hopes to kill the zoa pox,then maybe use a cap full of peroxide and dip again.

• Like 1

Furan 2 dips will help get rid of the pox. It's a fish medication that you should be able to get easily.

Yeah,I read that on Zoaid I believe the other night. The guys at Living Reef had used it on their personal tanks before and recommended it. I'll see if I can get ahold of some.

image-42.jpg

Did some good testing tonight,tanks param's aren't the best. But lower than last night post water change.

Param's Post Water Chnage (6/15/14):

Ammonia- .50

Nitrates- 10

Nitrites- .25

Phosphates- 2

PH- 8

Calc-400

Alk-12.6

Mag-1400

Today After last night water change (6/16/14):

PH-8

Ammonia- .4

Nitrates- 5

Nitrites- .5

Phosphates- .5

Calc-430

Alk-13.4-13.7

Mag-1480

• Like 1

Give it another week and you'll see improvement.

Thanks man. I'm definitely not giving up. I do know that I need at least 2 more snails. I need to banish one to the back part of the tank where everything is,it's absolutely disgusting lol.

I'm starting to want some acans really bad !!

• Like 1

So,after the addition of Pohl's Xtra ( 1 drop ) everyday I have noticed even with the Zoa's I just got over the weekend but more noticeable in the frags if had for almost 2 weeks is MASSIVE improvements in polyp exstention.

The one frag that had only 3 polyps,the biggest wouldn't open all the way,not it's as open as it can get and the 2 smaller ones are getting big as hell and looks to be spreading to pop out a baby. The second frag I got on the same day ( bluish grey Zoa's with orange centers and skirts had a baby polyp that wouldn't open,now that ones open all the way.

The "Havanah Spice" looking frag was stretching for light at the other store,but the stocks are beginning to shorten and the centers are SUPER pink and splattered looking. The bright green frag is almost transparent green with a bright blue center and looks awesome !!

A super long and blabby update,but I'm happy :D !!!

• Like 2
Nanofreak79

I liked using the zeo nano pack. I'll probably buy the bigger bottles at some point. I've ran out of the pohl's. It deffinetly works for your corals.

• Like 1

I liked using the zeo nano pack. I'll probably buy the bigger bottles at some point. I've ran out of the pohl's. It deffinetly works for your corals.

I started dosing it a few days after I got the first 2 frags and within a day or two of dosing it,I can already tell a huge difference. I may slowly start to dose the others,but we'll see. Whenever I run out of Pohl's,I will definitely get the big bottle to dose regularly.

• Like 1

It's so damn expensive. I wanted to buy all the ones in the pack.

Premium Aquatics had all of them,but they don't anymore. Try Zeo's US website,they've got everything you want for cheap.

• Like 1

Drip acclimating really isn't a good idea. The reason being that when you open the bag and expose it to air it will cause the ph in the bag to rise. Drip acclimating will do this as well (the water in your aquarium will have a higher ph than the water in the bag). I'm no chemist by any means but my understanding is that when shipping coral there will be die off to some extent that will be held in the form of ammonium in the bag, which is then converted to ammonia when air is present and the ph rises. So basically, after you open the bag you want to get the coral out of that water ASAP.

Should you dip your corals? Absolutely. Drip acclimating is not only unnecessary but it may do more harm than good. Fwiw, I acclimate literally thousands of corals per year and have never dripped any of them, and I've never lost a single one due to acclimation issues.

• Like 1

Drip acclimating really isn't a good idea. The reason being that when you open the bag and expose it to air it will cause the ph in the bag to rise. Drip acclimating will do this as well (the water in your aquarium will have a higher ph than the water in the bag). I'm no chemist by any means but my understanding is that when shipping coral there will be die off to some extent that will be held in the form of ammonium in the bag, which is then converted to ammonia when air is present and the ph rises. So basically, after you open the bag you want to get the coral out of that water ASAP.

Should you dip your corals? Absolutely. Drip acclimating is not only unnecessary but it may do more harm than good. Fwiw, I acclimate literally thousands of corals per year and have never dripped any of them, and I've never lost a single one due to acclimation issues.

Do you think this happens within even a short period of time between 30 minutes to an hour ? Normally I get my sh*t and come straight home.

For some reason I used to always dripped,then I just floated,now I drip again. Especially after the Zoa's I got over the weekend that had pox,nudi's which I found 2 more last night. And the snails I got from the same store,had bubble algae which I need to take them out and scrape deep down to make sure I get it off.

I just like taking precautions. Even though I know my tanks param's aren't as good as the tanks I get my stuff from,I think ( in my eyes ) it's nice to make a nice transition for my frags. That's just me though. I don't doubt that it's good nor bad. Just something I like to do,ya know ?

• Like 1

Do you think this happens within even a short period of time between 30 minutes to an hour ? Normally I get my sh*t and come straight home.

In that case you should be ok. I was under the impression that you were referring to shipped corals.

For some reason I used to always dripped,then I just floated,now I drip again. Especially after the Zoa's I got over the weekend that had pox,nudi's which I found 2 more last night. And the snails I got from the same store,had bubble algae which I need to take them out and scrape deep down to make sure I get it off.

I just like taking precautions. Even though I know my tanks param's aren't as good as the tanks I get my stuff from,I think ( in my eyes ) it's nice to make a nice transition for my frags. That's just me though. I don't doubt that it's good nor bad. Just something I like to do,ya know ?

Nothing wrong with that :). There's 100 different ways to reefing. Whatever works, works!

In that case you should be ok. I was under the impression that you were referring to shipped corals.

Nothing wrong with that :). There's 100 different ways to reefing. Whatever works, works!

Nope,all from local stores. I've managed to find some bad ass places here in Florida. And money isn't always plentiful,so it works lol.

• Like 1