SaltCritters.com

2G Cube [Casa Del Zoa]

Reefkid88

pismo_reefer

Drip acclimation is essentially useless.

Spare the arguments, Im gonna put it like this:

- people that ONLY temp. acclimate ("float"), experience the same, if not better, survival rates and initial health as those that drip.

- meaning, that all your doing by dripping is causing an extended period of uncertainty and possible shock.

I know dudes that do nothing more than float SPS for 10 minutes.

Then, take them out of the bag, set them in open air for a few seconds (to mucus up), then place them in the tank.

Corals are resilient as hell.

Aside from dipping and checking for parasites, etc, Don't waste yer time.

All yer doing is making sure it has to acclimate to another water parameter, in between the lfs and yer tank.

Doesnt that seem silly?

• Like 4

Drip acclimation is essentially useless.

Spare the arguments, Im gonna put it like this:

- people that ONLY temp. acclimate ("float"), experience the same, if not better, survival rates and initial health as those that drip.

- meaning, that all your doing by dripping is causing an extended period of uncertainty and possible shock.

I know dudes that do nothing more than float SPS for 10 minutes.

Then, take them out of the bag, set them in open air for a few seconds (to mucus up), then place them in the tank.

Corals are resilient as hell.

Aside from dipping and checking for parasites, etc, Don't waste yer time.

All yer doing is making sure it has to acclimate to another water parameter, in between the lfs and yer tank.

Doesnt that seem silly?

I completely understand and see where you're coming from. If I'm getting stuff from my

LFS ( Oceans Direct ) I don't even dip or drip acclimate. Like you mentioned I just float and in they go. But I've never gone to this store before,so as a precaution I dripped them and kept moving them around to make sure there was no flat worms,red worms or anything. There was a few pods though.

• Like 1
pismo_reefer

Perfectly understandable scenario... Carry on.:D

Bah.... I was too busy be a snob to say, that those are some sweet frags!

Especially for the price!

• Like 2

Perfectly understandable scenario... Carry on.:D

Bah.... I was too busy be a snob to say, that those are some sweet frags!

Especially for the price!

Thanks man. I'm rethinking my decisions lol,I should have gotten a Nuclear Death's,White Rhinos or even the Capt. Americas lol. I'm going to throw some $$$ each week for a little and just save up my change and just use that for frags.

• Like 1
pismo_reefer

This sounds kinda silly and cliché, but I cant say enough for selling stuff.

Ebay, craigslist, the local swap meet... Whatever... Just sell stuff.

I havent paid a dime for any of my crap, I just use profit from sales.

This sounds kinda silly and cliché, but I cant say enough for selling stuff.

Ebay, craigslist, the local swap meet... Whatever... Just sell stuff.

I havent paid a dime for any of my crap, I just use profit from sales.

I'm right there with you. I haven't paid for a damn thing for far with my build. Besides the tank,and false wall lol.

I did manage to speak with Jeff at StevesLEDS Friday and he said they still haven't received my controller,which is odd. I sent it out last Friday...hmmm...

• Like 1

Frags looking better an better today,lovin' em !! May pick up a few more this weekend if I get the chance too.

1402357665767.jpg

20140609_191646.jpg

• Like 2

I was going to order the RS Marine Care kit,but it was out of stock,and won't be in for another 2-3 weeks,so I went ahead an ordered the Nirtate,Nirite and Ammonia kits seeming BRS sent me a $5 off coupon omgomgomg . That's one thing I love about them,if you leave something in your cart long enough they send you a $5 off your order coupon. $23 shipped for both kits,isn't bad. But $35 for Ammonie,Nirtrate,Nitrites,Ph,Alk wouldnt have been bad either.

Once they get their PH & Alkalinity kit in,I'll order that too. Also my Hydor Pico 800 in tommorrow,although I won't be here to receive it. I'm thinking I'm going to use the Hydor 100gph pump for my girlfriends tank for added flow :naughtydance:

• Like 1

Those tiny frags look wonderful mate!! They should color right up!

I saw some discussion above about the drip acclimating. TBH; I've never drip acclimated anything in my tank.

I've only temp. acclimated for about 20 mins to get them at the same temp.

I do dip all of my corals though, but not the way it suggests on the bottle. (Bottle says mix 1G of water with 1 capful of dip and mix and then put the corals in)

I just put a few drops of the dip (seachem reef dip) in the bag and then float it in the tank. I've never had any trouble and all my frags open up really quickly as you can probably see in my thread! :)

Best of luck, can't wait to see more of your frags! :)

Those tiny frags look wonderful mate!! They should color right up!

I saw some discussion above about the drip acclimating. TBH; I've never drip acclimated anything in my tank.

I've only temp. acclimated for about 20 mins to get them at the same temp.

I do dip all of my corals though, but not the way it suggests on the bottle. (Bottle says mix 1G of water with 1 capful of dip and mix and then put the corals in)

I just put a few drops of the dip (seachem reef dip) in the bag and then float it in the tank. I've never had any trouble and all my frags open up really quickly as you can probably see in my thread! :)

Best of luck, can't wait to see more of your frags! :)

Thanks man. I don't normally acclimate either,I normally just float,and in ya go. But seeming I had never gotten from this store,I acclimated. I'd rather be safe then sorry. I don't want to catch any bugs lol.

They frag with one big polyp and the 2 babies is starting to color up nicely. And the orange and green frag is actually starting to get a longer skirt on them,which I'm assuming is from more flow than what they had in their super long and shallow frag tank. Which just had a Hydor 250 on one end.

I may stop by another one of my LFS's this weekend on the way home and see what they've got on the $5-$20 frag tank. They always have really nice stuff for super cheap.

• Like 1

I want some new pics of some new frags.

I'm due time sir. The weekend can't get here fast enoughhhhhh :( or you can just send me some lovely morphs :D

• Like 1

So,it's official this weekend will be a run of the LFS's and I'll be grabbing some stuff. It's mine and my girls 1 year so hopefully I'll be grabbing a few extra frags ;) lol on her behalf.

On another note,test kits will be here tomorrow and the pump I ordered is already at the house.

Doing a little maintaince on the tank tonight. Decided to pull the AquaticLife skimmer out,and plop it in the rear chamber. Along with rising the media in some distilled water,and cleaning the media bags off,clean the glass,still the ato jug up,installed the new pump,an last but not least do some quick tests and change out a gallon of water.

I need to rig up something to stay behind the overflow into the false wall to catch crude that goes over.. I feel like it's all just collecting at the bottom of the false wall and doing nothing but hurting water quality.

Got a $10 zoa "rock" and a few snails. Tomorrow I'm going to the better store where I got my other 2 frags at. I've got about $30 to spend so I can get 6 frags :D;)

• Like 1

Kinda pissed,the zoa "rock" I got tonight has some fu*king zoa pox on it and I didn't even realize it until JUST NOW !!! What's the best way to treat this ?!

Spiderguardnano

Im using the same hydrometer until i can save up for the refractor

do you just leave it in your tank?

Do you find it pretty accurate?

Im using the same hydrometer until i can save up for the refractor

do you just leave it in your tank?

Do you find it pretty accurate?

Unfortunately,I have a refractometer,I just keep forgetting to order calibration fluid.

I really don't know how "accurate" it is,because I've never had anything to test it against. But yeah,I always keep it in my tank that way I know when I've had too much evaporation and the salinity get too low and it know it's close to do a water change.

Pictures....

They're nothing special. They are some dirty ass hoezzz doe. I'm scared to put them in my tank.. This is the EXACT reason why I drip acclimate PISMO !!! I'm going to the good store tomorrow though. Better pick ups then. I only paid $10 for this and 2 snails.

image-18.jpg

• Like 1

Also,the skimmerz he running for a few days,and for the tank only having 4 hermits and now 2 snails,it's pulling some decent tanish brown junk:

image-26.jpg

• Like 2

Group shot of all the Zoa's. My two new ones are in there too the closest ones to the front of the frag rack look to be "Havana Spices" that RRA and the other is the bright green double polyp frag which look VERY similar to the "white rhinos" PC had listed on their site.

image-31.jpg

• Like 2