ReefCleaners.org

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to the probiotic, I'm dosing one drop of KZ Amino Acid LPS daily. I dose one drop of Sponge Power and one drop of Coral Vitalizer on alternating days. Each day I feed my pepperming shrimp a chunk of mysis, and each day I target feed Rod's Food Coral Blend to the zoas that respond to it (mainly the vice zoas and the Petroglyphs). Finally, once a week before the water change, I broadcast feed the tank with Fauna Marin Ultra Ricordea/Zoanthus food, mixed with Fauna Marin Ultra Min D.

I don't dose Fuel anymore. Every time I dose it I get cyano.

I'm using Sanolife MIC-F, a probiotic mostly used only in industrial-scale aquaculture. I believe Seahorse Source is the only supplier in the US. It's been on back order for a while, but Dan just told me that the shipment is finally cleared and should be reaching him next week.

BTW the tank is still doing well. The little cyano/hair algae patch went away, probably because there are no more fish. I think I'll keep it fishless for now.

Thank you for the product name, I'll have to look it up.

Your diligent maintenance might be partially responsible. Zoas really do seem to respond well to relatively high organics, although they can also be choked/outcompeted by nuisance algae. It's hard to get that balance.

I think so. I've started spacing out my water changes a bit and turning off my skimmer at night, and the Zoas seem to be doing a little bit better, but still not quite what I use to see. I also think my zoas grew better under my T5s previously compared to my current LED setup.

natalia_la_loca

I think so. I've started spacing out my water changes a bit and turning off my skimmer at night, and the Zoas seem to be doing a little bit better, but still not quite what I use to see. I also think my zoas grew better under my T5s previously compared to my current LED setup.

I've heard that about T5s too. Also, Planet Zoa said they got better growth after switching from LED to metal halide.

But all that said, most of my zoas seem to do just fine under LEDs :)

natalia_la_loca

Still happy with the probiotics. They are not a magic bullet; now my YR peachy blues are looking unhappy. But the same thing happened to the oompas, rings of fire and rastas and they all recovered, so... :owned: I picked up a new frag of bright green people-eater-ish zoas at the LFS, and the Miami Vices have a new baby coming. I think they're happy with the daily target feeding :)

I'm almost out of Sanolife and the new shipment has not come yet, so I'm probably going to try a different probiotic from Azoo Aquatics.

BTW, a couple times last week I added a small amount of buffered sodium ascorbate (Vitamin C) just for kicks. Immediately several colonies got angry at me (or maybe they were eating it? but to me they just looked mad). So...probably won't keep doing that...

16658404174_599a5469e2_z_d.jpg

17254394056_bd599a841e_z_d.jpg

16660627383_1f52cd34a9_z_d.jpg

natalia_la_loca

That FTS is amazing. I don't think I have ever seen a tank of wholly zoas. It's beautiful.

thank you :) I was always intrigued by the idea of a tank with zoas and nothing else. There are still a couple of shrooms in the back, I let them stay because they're well behaved...

natalia_la_loca

Still doing great overall. Miami vice, CC specters, utter chaos, oompa loompas and petroglyphs all look gorgeous and have new heads emerging. I relocated the mexican turbo to my "mean girls" damsel tank because there wasn't any more hair algae for him to eat.

But I lost the peachy blues :tears: I think maybe this frag was just too small to withstand this bacterial (?) malady. All the other colonies that survived it were bigger (assuming they had the same thing). I saw some little isopods swarming over it toward the end, but I think they were just scavenging dead tissue.

For the last 3 days I've been dosing the Azoo Aquatics freshwater shrimp probiotic because the Sanolife is all gone and the new shipment still isn't here. So far, the zoas seem just fine with it.

17325885331_2fed7d13b9_z_d.jpg

This is the new no-name frag I picked up at the LFS (sorry about the even-crappier-than-usual photo lol) it's really pretty, bright bright green :happydance:

17140048089_ded56ce0cf_z_d.jpg

natalia_la_loca

No names can be so amazing!

Now you just need to frag it up and slap a silly name on it. ;)

true!!! the no names seem to be getting better and better these days. I've got loads of no name zoas in this tank.

I think I'll call them toxic avengers :)

Red_Blenny

This is the new no-name frag I picked up at the LFS (sorry about the even-crappier-than-usual photo lol) it's really pretty, bright bright green :happydance:

17140048089_ded56ce0cf_z_d.jpg

It reminds me of Wow/Wobbegongs.

Tank is looking great! I'm going to see what varieties you have the most luck with and maybe get a few for one of my tanks. :D

natalia_la_loca

Tank is looking great! I'm going to see what varieties you have the most luck with and maybe get a few for one of my tanks. :D

Thank you :) the zoas that have grown best for me in the past year and a half are LC petroglyphs, watermelons, rastas, eagle eyes and the large Caribbean zoas (basically all vice zoa morphs).

Several others have done well but don't grow very fast. Others are growing SUPER fast, but I haven't had them long enough to draw conclusions.

true!!! the no names seem to be getting better and better these days. I've got loads of no name zoas in this tank.

I think I'll call them toxic avengers :)

They look like an Emerald Maul or WOW morph. Some of my favorites.

natalia_la_loca

They look like an Emerald Maul or WOW morph. Some of my favorites.

the names, the names, so many names! omgomgomg

OK, my LFS is really on a roll. Look what I picked up yesterday.

16732769324_8762741dac_z_d.jpg

from above...for size comparison, fire and ice zoas are at lower right

17162536099_290372e548_z_d.jpg

they glow like crazy and they're really big. they steal the show in the tank, in this shot they're at lower left.

17169599139_7e40544bcd_z_d.jpg

any idea of a name? They remind me of super saiyans, but like 3 times bigger!

natalia_la_loca

Really like those neon green nonamers

Neon green nonamers! The perfect name :)

my partner thinks they should be called Dolly Partons because they're big and bodacious, lol

natalia_la_loca

i'm really loving the new zoas from the LFS. I found out the LFS got them from a hobbyist who aquacultured them, which hopefully means they are hardy. Here's a slightly better FTS.

16751026004_e08d74415f_z_d.jpg

16753263733_2c33fa0af8_z_d.jpg

I moved the blondies because the CC specters were stealing their thunder. Here they are with their new baby :wub:

17347596326_046ed4d602_z_d.jpg

natalia_la_loca

Looking great Natalia! Shoot me those photos when you have a chance. I would love to share!

-Dave

Thank you Dave :flower: I will.

hypostatic

Neon green nonamers! The perfect name :)

my partner thinks they should be called Dolly Partons because they're big and bodacious, lol

Hmm those look like some morph of "eagle eye" or "watermelon" zoas

natalia_la_loca

Hmm those look like some morph of "eagle eye" or "watermelon" zoas

that was my first thought too. But these are the biggest baddest most amazing melons I've ever seen. I have 3 other morphs of eagle eyes/melons in the tank (yes I do like me some melons) and these make them look like--to borrow a bit of colorful slang I picked up somewhere--a bag of smashed assholes :)

Zoa tank has come a long way in a short time. Beautiful! Great job, looks awesome.

thank you so much, it's so nice to see you around here again :) I hope you get your new tank set up soon!

Archived