inTank Media Baskets

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

Don't give up, some of them are easier than others :) The true palythoas (these include nuke greens, purple deaths) eat just about anything, including small pieces of mysis. The petroglyphs from Legendary also seem easy to keep, they actively grab pieces of food. IME the more finicky zoas are the ones that don't show a visible feeding response. I'm still trying to figure out the right mix of light, active feeding, dissolved organics and nutrient export to keep them all happy.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IME the more finicky zoas are the ones that don't show a visible feeding response.

Huh, I never really thought about it that way, though I think you are on to something. My Paly grandis have an AMAZING feeding response. I actually target feed them they are so fun to watch. They are popping heads all the time and I know they are slow growers for some. IDK that I have noticed a strong feeding response from my Petroglyphs though -- but I agree they have done well for me. Pink and golds have also grown like weeds.

Don't give up, some of them are easier than others :) The true palythoas (these include nuke greens, purple deaths) eat just about anything, including small pieces of mysis. The petroglyphs from Legendary also seem easy to keep, they actively grab pieces of food. IME the more finicky zoas are the ones that don't show a visible feeding response. I'm still trying to figure out the right mix of light, active feeding, dissolved organics and nutrient export to keep them all happy.

If I get more I should research the hardy ones. I don't think I want ones that need to be target fed a lot of exotic food. I tend to fail at that.

ergh, a couple of my colonies are looking pretty bad. Not sure what's going on. Everyone else is thriving, so it's hard to pinpoint a cause. I don't see pox, parasites, etc. Parameters are excellent. The affected polyps are shrinking and forming their oral disks into a pointy shape. The mysteries of the zoa.

16270037510_37832c0987_z_d.jpg

Shhhiiiitt. I had a patch of zoas start doing this. I believe those zoas are on their way out. It's super weird cuz there's another patch of zoas of the SAME morph next to them (disconnected mat) that are looking normal.

The smaller zoas need smaller foods. I've gotten a response from pretty much every zoa with goniopower

natalia_la_loca

IDK that I have noticed a strong feeding response from my Petroglyphs though -- but I agree they have done well for me.

I think they take a little time to work their way up to larger particles of food. The daisy dukes (which I think are closely related to petroglyphs, their shape, size and pattern are very similar) are not actively snagging food with their tentacles yet, but they did eat some fish eggs yesterday when target fed :) and I do mean eat, not an irritation response. They maneuvered the eggs to their mouths and schlupped them in.

If I get more I should research the hardy ones. I don't think I want ones that need to be target fed a lot of exotic food. I tend to fail at that.

The true palys don't necessarily need to be target fed, they are photosynthetic and will grab stuff on their own. But it's fun to target feed them, and they really take off when target fed.

Shhhiiiitt. I had a patch of zoas start doing this. I believe those zoas are on their way out. It's super weird cuz there's another patch of zoas of the SAME morph next to them (disconnected mat) that are looking normal.

I know, I fear the worst with these. It may be a reaction to the alk buffer overdose, but that's been sorted out for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, hope springs eternal, we'll see what happens fingerscrossed

The smaller zoas need smaller foods. I've gotten a response from pretty much every zoa with goniopower

I'll give it a try :) any idea what's in it? I've tried other small particle foods (reef roids, coral frenzy, rod's food coral blend) and have not seen a convincing feeding response from the smaller zoas.

In other news, the greenbanded gobies are doing fantastically well :happydance: I'm feeding them twice a day with a rotation of Rod's Food Coral Blend, Reef Nutrition R.O.E., Cyclopeeze and that janky old Nutramar Ova. They love it all.

fat goby sez "watchoo lookin at"

16281433979_172372517d_z_d.jpg

aaaand I installed the Gyre on my 37 :happydance: LOVE it. At 50% power gives the tank all the flow it needs. I love that it doesn't jut out in the tank...all of a sudden I have some new places to put coral!!! omgomgomg

Looking great! Lets get a FTS with the light ;)

-Dave

here you go...it's in the art studio...hence the mess ;)

15851223254_a675ea76af_z_d.jpg

and here's the 37...looking very empty with all those pumps gone!

15853557343_23aa511ea8_z_d.jpg

I'm jelly :) I've been wanting to order LC goodies, and even filled up my cart. Twice. But I keep having to travel and I have to make sure I'll be home before I order anything :(

natalia_la_loca

yup, receiving coral shipments is a PIA for me too. I had to postpone the shipment a couple times because of work and weather. Fortunately the stars aligned this week and everything looks great. Legendary and Lawn for the win :)

yup, receiving coral shipments is a PIA for me too. I had to postpone the shipment a couple times because of work and weather. Fortunately the stars aligned this week and everything looks great. Legendary and Lawn for the win :)

Moar Pics! :D

Legendary Corals

I'm jelly :) I've been wanting to order LC goodies, and even filled up my cart. Twice. But I keep having to travel and I have to make sure I'll be home before I order anything :(

My fellow green banded goby lover, I gotchu whenever you're ready!

Moar Pics! :D

Agreed! Moaaaaarrr!!!

natalia_la_loca

what lamp is above the 37?

Lumentek pro 120 from Reef Radiance. I've had it about a year and a half. It's a big ole brick but it grows coral.

I think they take a little time to work their way up to larger particles of food. The daisy dukes (which I think are closely related to petroglyphs, their shape, size and pattern are very similar) are not actively snagging food with their tentacles yet, but they did eat some fish eggs yesterday when target fed :) and I do mean eat, not an irritation response. They maneuvered the eggs to their mouths and schlupped them in.

The true palys don't necessarily need to be target fed, they are photosynthetic and will grab stuff on their own. But it's fun to target feed them, and they really take off when target fed.

I know, I fear the worst with these. It may be a reaction to the alk buffer overdose, but that's been sorted out for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, hope springs eternal, we'll see what happens fingerscrossed

I'll give it a try :) any idea what's in it? I've tried other small particle foods (reef roids, coral frenzy, rod's food coral blend) and have not seen a convincing feeding response from the smaller zoas.

In other news, the greenbanded gobies are doing fantastically well :happydance: I'm feeding them twice a day with a rotation of Rod's Food Coral Blend, Reef Nutrition R.O.E., Cyclopeeze and that janky old Nutramar Ova. They love it all.

fat goby sez "watchoo lookin at"

16281433979_172372517d_z_d.jpg

aaaand I installed the Gyre on my 37 :happydance: LOVE it. At 50% power gives the tank all the flow it needs. I love that it doesn't jut out in the tank...all of a sudden I have some new places to put coral!!! omgomgomg

here you go...it's in the art studio...hence the mess ;)

15851223254_a675ea76af_z_d.jpg

and here's the 37...looking very empty with all those pumps gone!

15853557343_23aa511ea8_z_d.jpg

Natalia, you have an art studio? Are you an artist? I graduated from the Art Institute of Pgh. I have a studio but it's not seeing much action these days.
natalia_la_loca

My fellow green banded goby lover, I gotchu whenever you're ready!

Agreed! Moaaaaarrr!!!

Love me some GBGs :) pics coming...bad overexposed iPhone pix lol

natalia_la_loca

Natalia, you have an art studio? Are you an artist? I graduated from the Art Institute of Pgh. I have a studio but it's not seeing much action these days.

I do and am :) (i have a day job tho...no way I could support this hobby by selling paintings). I've bounced around several art schools over the years. My work is mostly symbolist/surrealist drawing and painting as well as various other media, found objects, etc. what sort of work do you do?

natalia_la_loca

i'll take good care of your babies :) got a couple of bad pics before the lights got too blue to take photos. btw thank you for the gorgeous freebie palys!!! They were a little pissed this evening because my peppermint shrimp was feeling them up.

rise and shine oompa loompas!

15884015134_72a416d774_z_d.jpg

YR Peachy Blues from Legendary...OMG they live up to the hype (altho you wouldn't know it from this krap photo)

16504847571_8a39c1a50d_z_d.jpg

froot loops already wide awake :happydance:

16505553401_bc788fe901_z_d.jpg

Archived