SaltCritters.com

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so me surfing fish and coral on the net, instead of writing the article that I am supposed to be doing, stumbled upon this:

Half-Barred Goby (Priolepis semidoliata)

DSC_0075.jpg

They get an inch big and are reportedly peaceful but there honestly isn't a lot of info on them. I found them for sale at ThatPetPlace and BlueZooAquatics. I thought they were pretty darn cute and then thought of your tank. I've never ordered from either of those places though.

Looks a lot like the Rusty Goby, but prettier. The shape and how it's hanging on the rocks is what makes me think of the Rusty. Hopefully these guys are more visible in the aquarium because I would hardly ever see the rusty goby...very cryptic fish. Actually quite a boring fish.

I highly recommend the green banded goby. Or one of the clown gobies. They have sweet personalities and are way more visible :).

natalia_la_loca

Thank you again everybody for the tips :flower:

After doing some more research and watching some adorable videos, I decided on the green banded gobies. They seem to be fairly hardy, they eat pretty much the same foods I'm already giving to my other fish, and they do have great personalities! The order from LiveAquaria should be arriving next week :)

I also bought a couple of new zoas at the Jason Fox live sale. Normally I wouldn't buy from there because of the prices, but these were good deals. Here's one I got, he calls them "bozos." I also got a frag of Daisy Dukes, they look a lot like Petroglyphs but with some pink too.

16311842295_62c330bcb9_o_d.jpg

To clear up space in the back chamber, I got rid of my big bulky Fluval heater and replaced it with a Cobalt Neotherm 50W. WOW, that thing is tiny!!! And it also works great.

BTW I am :wub: our little planted tank.

16120750447_90230e71a9_z_d.jpg

natalia_la_loca

welp, had a great weekend. I installed the new Pic0 Skim 2.0 and it's chugging along.

15701113633_7a4483882f_z_d.jpg

...and I'm obsessed with the planted tank...here's Bubba the shrimp taking a ride on a snail16135575508_636a21948a_z_d.jpg (and yes the snail was moving)

...and I planted the garlic. Is it spring yet? :happydance:

16133397608_f6a047bd49_z_d.jpg

I'm thinking about getting a fish for my Nuvo 8. Anybody have suggestions? maybe:

-coral croucher (would it irritate the zoas?)

-goby/pistol shrimp combo (but not sold on that either because I have a big zoa colony sitting right on the sand bed)

Any other ideas for a fish that would look interesting, stay little and be nice to my zoas?

Yellow clown Goby. Rusty Goby. Eviotas, Trimmas. NEons. Red spot cardinal fish - POTO has a great video of them.

natalia_la_loca

I ordered green banded :) I'm really intrigued by red spot cardinals. Would love to see some testimonials of people who have managed to keep them happy long term.

natalia_la_loca

Both the greenbanded gobies (elacatinus multifasciatum) and the new zoas arrived Thursday morning, all looking great :) The zoas started to open within minutes of placement in the tank despite the CoralRx dip.

good morning sunshine--this is about 10 minutes after the dip

16316079516_dccfbea9d9_z_d.jpg

Thursday evening...new pal in foreground

16157662339_0eb9270fda_z_d.jpg

love me some gobies

16356736001_1bfd402a20_z_d.jpg

I didn't expect to see much of them the first few days, but they seem to like hanging out around the front of the tank...they're pretty friendly :wub:

What do people do to feed these guys? Mine are very little, about 3/4". So far I've seen them peck at small pieces of mysis and spirulina brine shrimp...I just turn off the pumps and drop the food near them with a turkey baster. They don't seem to eat much. Going to try nutramar ova next (yes I've got a vintage pack of supernasty nutramar ova left over from the mandy days)

Both the greenbanded gobies (elacatinus multifasciatum) and the new zoas arrived Thursday morning, all looking great :) The zoas started to open within minutes of placement in the tank despite the CoralRx dip.

good morning sunshine--this is about 10 minutes after the dip

16316079516_dccfbea9d9_z_d.jpg

love me some gobies

16356736001_1bfd402a20_z_d.jpg

I didn't expect to see much of them the first few days, but they seem to like hanging out around the front of the tank...they're pretty friendly :wub:

What do people do to feed these guys? Mine are very little, about 3/4". So far I've seen them peck at small pieces of mysis and spirulina brine shrimp...I just turn off the pumps and drop the food near them with a turkey baster. They don't seem to eat much. Going to try nutramar ova next (yes I've got a vintage pack of supernasty nutramar ova left over from the mandy days)

Very nice Daisy Dukes. GBG are some of my favorite fish. Mine would feed off pods in my display tank. Occasionally I'd see him eat some mysis or caviar.

natalia_la_loca

Very nice Daisy Dukes. GBG are some of my favorite fish. Mine would feed off pods in my display tank. Occasionally I'd see him eat some mysis or caviar.

I know, aren't the daisy dukes great? they're just like the pictures :) The "bozos" are really pretty too, but my pictures of them look terrible (even by my low iphone standards)

yup, I think I saw the GBGs eat some pods too. Hopefully they'll get enough to eat between the pods and the variety of frozen foods I'm giving them.

Nice photobomb! My local reef club was brainstorming ideas for the next pic of the month theme and someone suggested "photobombing fish." :D

natalia_la_loca

Nice photobomb! My local reef club was brainstorming ideas for the next pic of the month theme and someone suggested "photobombing fish." :D

photobombing fish are the bestest...although this was an intentional photobomb on my part. The gobies seem to like posing in front of my favorite zoas :happydance:

btw I am so :wub: their green stripey sweaters.

Wow, I love your tank :wub: I can't believe I haven't seen it before. All the zoas are beautiful, and I really like the terraced look of the rocks. And of course, the Green Banded Goby is the bomb :)

I've had several of them now, and each one ate something different. My original one mostly ate Cyclopeeze (which I can't get any more, so it's just as well he's not around any more). The one I got from Live Aquaria eats meaty stuff like mysis. He'll come out and pick it right off the tongs. The smaller one that I got from Petco will eat flakes that are crushed up small. I suspect they all eat pods too :)

I also have a rusty goby. Like Gena said, he doesn't come out much so he's kinda boring. But I can drop pellets in the water, and he'll zip out and grab it as it drops by. He's in and out in the blink of an eye, which is why I call him Flash.

natalia_la_loca

hey thanks, I'm glad you like it :) thanks also for the comments on feeding. This morning gave them a mix of spirulina brine and cyclopeeze and left the pumps off for 20 minutes to give them time. They definitely were pecking at it, but the lights were still dim, so I couldn't see whether there was one that they preferred.

Did you know cyclopeeze is available again? at any rate, my LFS has it now.

BTW here's an updated pic of my 37 gallon damsel tank:

16339732296_f8482082bf_z_d.jpg

Unfortunately I'm down to five azure damsels now. For a while they really seemed to be getting along, but on Friday evening, the strongest one (Joan) got really nasty and the two weakest ones were nipped pretty badly. Fortunately I was able to get them out of the tank and back to the LFS. The manager there believes they'll both recover. So my "diluted aggression" overcrowding idea clearly did not pan out. I expect Joan will now turn her attention to the next two, and maybe three, weaker fish, and that I'll end up with a mated pair of damsels if I'm lucky (there is one that Joan has always been nice to). I'm going to try to set up a fish trap to catch the others.

natalia_la_loca

I feed mine frozen rotifers and cyclops, they eat them like pigs!

Oooh I was wondering if they might eat rotifers. I'll pick some up at the LFS. Btw I just found out they love rods coral food too :)

Great tank! I had one of those damsels for over a year. I recently had to banish him to the LFS for attacking my clown goby and sexy shrimp.

Ha, not surprising! So far mine have completely ignored my rainfords goby, but we'll see. These fish are total f***ers. Which is part of what attracted me to them. But still.

Awesome tanks/zoas!

thank you :)

Legendary Corals

those bozo zoas look like they're either fruit loops that have been bleached out a little, or photoshopped lol

They look very similar to emeralds on fire. Those daisy dukes are killer though!

natalia_la_loca

Yup, they're a lot like (and maybe the same thing as) emeralds on fire. I got them for the color, not the name ;) Now that I have these, I think my tank has enough green and orange. now just a few more blues and purples and reds and pinks and I'll be all set :)

natalia_la_loca

yeah, the blue zoas are tough to find. Some of the "blue" ones seem to be just white that's reflecting the blues from the lights

So true. With the nanobox I don't have as many unpleasant surprises as I used to in terms of the zoa living up to the website photo, but I really want intense vivid fluorescent blue (basically I want my tank to look like a surreal alien dreamscape) and that isn't easy to find.

The no-name zoas on the left in this pic do have genuine intense blue centers. I got them at a frag swap a couple years ago for cheeeep :) They've multiplied a lot for me, but they haven't spread onto the rocks yet.

16068297130_575b1d80fd_z_d.jpg

I'm hoping the new GBGs will provide some yummy fish poop and the zoas will grow more. Speaking of which, this morning I discovered that they also love Reef Nutrition R.O.E. These little squirts are easier to feed than I thought :)

Archived