Innovative Marine Aquariums

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

Oh, I also like all the little asterinas in your tank! I used to have a bunch on my glass too, but my elegance is with against the glass, so I think they've almost all turned into elegance food =/

I have zoas that are actually blue:

iubaFUN.jpg

pzXZyg8.jpg

PEA's "king's ransom" are also pretty blue:

vYQZYQn.jpg

I had those guys for a little while, but they didn't do well in my system for some reason....

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
natalia_la_loca

ooooh, those are really nice :) do the middle ones have a name? I like that they have a little red in the skirt.

I was wondering when someone would say something about my asterina infestation :D they're just hitchhikers that have multiplied over the years. They rain down onto the acans when I scrape the glass. I've thought about getting a harlequin shrimp to control their numbers, but I kind of like having them around (and I'm not keen on buying a bunch of chocolate chip stars).

My tank went through a temporary infestation of asterina stars and I just sucked some of the excess ones out with my WCs. I felt kind of bad flushing them but then their numbers tapered off and they haven't been excessive for quite a while now.

I like the asterinas! Do the acans gobble them up when they fall on them? lol. I'd keep around as many as possible lol

The middle zoas MIGHT have a name, but if they do I don't know lol. I try not to ask, because then they end up being much more expensive haha. I think that frag was only like 15-20 bucks.They're really uinique too: the blue looks sort of like an uneven haze/smoke across the face of the polyps, which isn't super common among zoas. They're like, BIG too; like 3x the size of the zoas above it

natalia_la_loca

you know, I ought to know whether the acans are eating the asterinas. They do wrap their tentacles around them, but I've never sat there to see if they swallowed them completely. Maybe that's why the asterinas haven't completely taken over my tank.

I could see those zoas with a $75 PP price tag and a name like "JF bloodshot zombie eyes" :P

Legendary Corals

If those blue ones have red skirts, they're called X-Mens! I had those awhile back. Very gorgeous paly.

Hmm, blues you say. We have a deep blue morph that we are healing up. Along with a lot of other polyp-y goodness. ;)

I've just been incredibly lazy with photos. LOL

Btw, my GBGs eat crushed pellets heartily! They are so cute when their tummies are round.

If those blue ones have red skirts, they're called X-Mens! I had those awhile back. Very gorgeous paly.

Hmmm did a google image search. The xmens that came up didn't quite look like my polyps, but these guys look similar:

Spiderman.jpg

Those are really nice :wub:

Darwin, you know there are people that might actually buy deep blue zoas out there, if you posted them for sale :) :)

I've got some blue zoas that are sold under the exotic name of "Blue Zoas" from KPA:

16350845966_eeacaca717_b.jpgKPA Blue Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And I think these might be similar to the "kings ransom". The green turns to yellow when the light is whiter. I think I got these from Reefs2go back when they were a sponsor on this board. They called them "Baby Back Blue Eyed Zoas".

16350312171_371a7fd680_b.jpgBaby Back Blue Eyed Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Disclaimer: both look a little lighter in reality. I'm still trying to master getting white balance right especially under the blues.

Legendary Corals

Those are really nice :wub:

Darwin, you know there are people that might actually buy deep blue zoas out there, if you posted them for sale :) :)

I've got some blue zoas that are sold under the exotic name of "Blue Zoas" from KPA:

16350845966_eeacaca717_b.jpgKPA Blue Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And I think these might be similar to the "kings ransom". The green turns to yellow when the light is whiter. I think I got these from Reefs2go back when they were a sponsor on this board. They called them "Baby Back Blue Eyed Zoas".

16350312171_371a7fd680_b.jpgBaby Back Blue Eyed Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Disclaimer: both look a little lighter in reality. I'm still trying to master getting white balance right especially under the blues.

I hope so! I didn't grab them just to sit in my frag tank. Hehehehe.

And here's a blue one I just got too! I believe they go by Blowpops! I love how all the colors contrast against each other.

16190639850_74af5f7f57_b.jpg

natalia_la_loca

And here's a blue one I just got too! I believe they go by Blowpops! I love how all the colors contrast against each other.

oh, I love these :eek: they look very happy.

How big are the polyps compared to petroglyphs, shiznits, rastas etc? They look like they might be a worthy replacement for my vice zoas...I miss them so much, and can't find them for sale anywhere!

Legendary Corals

oh, I love these :eek: they look very happy.

How big are the polyps compared to petroglyphs, shiznits, rastas etc? They look like they might be a worthy replacement for my vice zoas...I miss them so much, and can't find them for sale anywhere!

Hmm, a bit smaller than rastas! Vices used to come in a lot through Coral Morphologic, but alas they shut down. :(

Hmm, a bit smaller than rastas! Vices used to come in a lot through Coral Morphologic, but alas they shut down. :(

Aquascaper is reopening soon =). They been posting updates on their facebook page. Relaunch should be within the next few months, if not weeks.

natalia_la_loca

Aquascaper is reopening soon =). They been posting updates on their facebook page. Relaunch should be within the next few months, if not weeks.

Fantastic :)

Thanks for the heads up!

In fact, they posted some Vice teasers on their FB page today. :)

• 2 weeks later...
natalia_la_loca

ergh, a couple of my colonies are looking pretty bad. Not sure what's going on. Everyone else is thriving, so it's hard to pinpoint a cause. I don't see pox, parasites, etc. Parameters are excellent. The affected polyps are shrinking and forming their oral disks into a pointy shape. The mysteries of the zoa.

16270037510_37832c0987_z_d.jpg

In happier news, there has been a cessation of hostilities among the remaining five damsels. Joan, the Queen Bee, is suspiciously docile. And the two ripped-up damsels are eating well and recovering nicely at the LFS.

15837400293_727926c102_z_d.jpg

16456530112_b04a89362f_z_d.jpg

and look what came today :happydance:

16271191939_aea4007c3b_z_d.jpg

I've never learned the secrets of the Zoa Whisperers. Mine always seem to be closing up for no reason, or shrinking, or flat out melting. And then the ones on the next rock over spread all over the place. There never seems to be a reason for it.

natalia_la_loca

yup, they're mysterious sometimes. I feel like I was having better luck with them early on. Although I did have a big pox outbreak that was sorted out eventually. I hope they pull through!

I love zoas but the mystery of always keeping them happy always alluded me as well. Sadly I have pretty much given up on them although the cheery colors they come in would be so cool in the pony tank.

Archived