Pod Your Reef

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

It's hard to describe. More aromatic, sweeter (although it's not actually sweet of course), maybe herbal or flowery. The flavor is delicate but not as subtle as some others I've tasted. I'm not a tea connoisseur by any means. The local Asian grocery ran out of sencha, so I just started ordering greens and whites from Harney, more or less at random, and discovered this amazing world of tea.

The Gielle 1st Flush Darjeeling is supposedly a black tea, but it tastes more like a green to me. It's fantastic.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
natalia_la_loca

love this tank! any tips to getting zoas to color up and grow like yours??

thank you :) Just daily target feeding with a variety of small particle foods, and regular nutrient export (skimmer, carbon, weekly water change). I also strongly suspect that at least some zoas benefit from my daily dosing of the probiotic Sanolife MIC-F. And I dose iodine and a few other basic KZ additives a few times a week, I'm pretty sure that helps too.

Would you elaborate a little on the Sanolife MIC-F as in dosage amount and how you personally use it. I just ordered some today and was needing some advice. thanks and keep sharing the pics of your awesome collection.

natalia_la_loca

Would you elaborate a little on the Sanolife MIC-F as in dosage amount and how you personally use it. I just ordered some today and was needing some advice. thanks and keep sharing the pics of your awesome collection.

I dose about 1/16 tsp (actually 2 heaping scoops using one of the tiny plastic spoons from a salifert test kit), each day. Dan Underwood, who doses it in his seahorse systems, recommends daily dosing to maintain levels of the types of probiotic bacteria that feed on it. Even with daily dosing, it takes me at least a year to use up a bag with both my tanks.

natalia_la_loca

So I think I already asked, but did you/are you seeing improvement in growth, color or other?

Growth. Theyve always been colorful :)

aaaaaand tea time :happydance:

18557560660_ff2bd1b754_z_d.jpg

OMG! Harney and Sons! I'm a total addict. I LOVE the Winter white earl grey - based on your selections there, I think you'd like it. And Scottish Morn is my absolute favorite morning tea although it is a strong, dark, rich black tea.

And just because. Here's a photo of my bulk Harney & Sons tea shelf in the pantry - disregard the unorganized disaster!

m3BFiEU.jpg

And of course, I can't be without my H&S when I travel. I drink mostly loose leaf, but have a stash of sachets and tea bags for when I am on the road:

Oj8Gtci.jpg

natalia_la_loca

OMG! Harney and Sons! I'm a total addict. I LOVE the Winter white earl grey - based on your selections there, I think you'd like it. And Scottish Morn is my absolute favorite morning tea although it is a strong, dark, rich black tea.

yessssssssssss, teaheads of the world unite :) thank you for the suggestions, I'll try them with my next order. I love that they have sample sizes available for cheap, it's so fun to try new ones. I always take a little canister of my trusty mutan white on trips.

HA! total teaheads :)

White Christmas is really good too. Very soothing and has almost a nutty vanilla flavor. I bought a 1 lb loose bag. I can't remember if that's only a seasonal option.

AND I AGREE 100% on the sample sizes.

Nanofreak79

20150619_100016_zpsa2348162.jpg

I guess I am not eligible to be part of the tea head clique if this is what I drink???

I order this, great coffee and price as well. I will have to say tea is disgusting, unless your talking Lipton with tons of sugar, you know in the soda aisle. I also like the snap ole peach tea. Coffee is my fave, and I love trying different flavors and brands.
natalia_la_loca

I order this, great coffee and price as well. I will have to say tea is disgusting, unless your talking Lipton with tons of sugar, you know in the soda aisle. I also like the snap ole peach tea. Coffee is my fave, and I love trying different flavors and brands.

Lipton is nastea ;) I'm a coffee head too.

You have a beautiful zoas garden. I wish I didn't mess with SPS in the first place :(

Ha, sometimes I wish I didn't mess with zoas ;) zoas are more finicky than they're given credit for, they can be pretty frustrating at times.

Lipton is nastea ;) I'm a coffee head too.

Ha, sometimes I wish I didn't mess with zoas ;) zoas are more finicky than they're given credit for, they can be pretty frustrating at times.

True but they are still very forgiving than SPS and even some LPS. I think that once my tank is back to normal I'll go with zoas and LPS only :)

natalia_la_loca

True but they are still very forgiving than SPS and even some LPS. I think that once my tank is back to normal I'll go with zoas and LPS only :)

It depends :) some zoas are super easy and others melt fast...or they'll do great in one tank and die in another with no clear indication of why. They are so weird. I find SPS much more predictable than zoas. Despite all caveats, zoas are just wonderful when they do well, and their colors are amazing.

It depends :) some zoas are super easy and others melt fast...or they'll do great in one tank and die in another with no clear indication of why. They are so weird. I find SPS much more predictable than zoas. Despite all caveats, zoas are just wonderful when they do well, and their colors are amazing.

I can relate to that, I did have some zoas just shrunk and melted away for no reason. I guess they all have their ups and downs, you just have to know when to replace them and keep going...simple as that...lol

Well I guess we could have tea head cliques and coffee head cliques, LOL. Natalia, it looks like you can be in both!

Well I guess we could have tea head cliques and coffee head cliques, LOL. Natalia, it looks like you can be in both!

I volunteer to be the leader of the ice cream clique!

Archived