Top Shelf Aquatics

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

natalia_la_loca

true, it isn't a total catastrophe, but it's such a long way from how it looked a couple of weeks ago :unsure: hopefully the ones that are still alive will keep opening up little by little.

Oh, and after all I put the tank through, the treatment didn't eliminate the flatworms! FML

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha, you know what my answer's gonna be on that ;) maybe try again with another nudi and put a thin sponge over the overflow?

LOL That was what my husband said too! If the LFS gets blue nudis again I will probably try. He was pretty damn awesome to watch cruising around vaccumming up the worms. He slurped them up like spaghetti.

Also <3 those Whamming Watermelons just truckin on! It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Petros. I knew stress could bleach out colors, but I didn't know it could change them like that! As hard as I'm sure it was, thanks for the documation!

Oh, and after all I put the tank through, the treatment didn't eliminate the flatworms! FML

ORZ that is just wrong

Legendary Corals

Like all pests, nature wants to live. :rolleyes:

natalia_la_loca

It says a lot for how awesome this tank is that even after a major crash it still looks great :)

aww, thanks :blush:

Like all pests, nature wants to live. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Possum Wrasse.

Would do well in this little tank IMO.

interesting idea, and they're pretty too (this is the yellow banded possum wrasse, wetmorella nigropinnata, right?) I'll do some research on it. If anyone has one and has any advice, I'm all ears :)

aww, thanks :blush:

giphy.gif

interesting idea, and they're pretty too (this is the yellow banded possum wrasse, wetmorella nigropinnata, right?) I'll do some research on it. If anyone has one and has any advice, I'm all ears :)

I just put one in my tank. He's an eating machine. Never stops hunting. Eats pods and whatever else he can find among the rock work. I've seen him take frozen brine too so I'm not too worried that he'll run out of food once the pod population is under control. I'm hoping he takes a liking to feather dusters too. He's going to have to do some growing to get the bigger ones in my tank though as he's only about 3/4 of an inch long right now. Really cool fish.

natalia_la_loca

I just put one in my tank. He's an eating machine. Never stops hunting. Eats pods and whatever else he can find among the rock work. I've seen him take frozen brine too so I'm not too worried that he'll run out of food once the pod population is under control. I'm hoping he takes a liking to feather dusters too. He's going to have to do some growing to get the bigger ones in my tank though as he's only about 3/4 of an inch long right now. Really cool fish.

awesome, thank you for sharing your experience :) Glad it's working out for you. Did you get him at the LFS, or Liveaquaria or somewhere else?

oh and BTW

1000posts-0278b6af3414ce1af2b103bd0b441b

giphy.gif

awesome, thank you for sharing your experience :) Glad it's working out for you. Did you get him at the LFS, or Liveaquaria or somewhere else?

oh and BTW

1000posts-0278b6af3414ce1af2b103bd0b441b

giphy.gif

I picked him up at a "local" fish store. About an hour away. I want one for my other tank now. Will likely have my LFS order one when they make a fish order again in a few weeks so I don't have to drive as far.

They jump, I lost my first one, so a cover will be needed. My first was the duller type, but still awesome, my second I think is the geometric or white banded possum wrasse.

sorry to hear about the zoa troubles. I had my fair shares of melting zoas...sigh. I used Flatworm Exit before and while it helped, it never took out all the flatworms or zoa eating nudibranches. In the future, I will only consider natural fixes. No more chemical mumbo jumbo juice for my tanks.

HarryPotter

Eek I hope my Zoas do well.... I just got my first few (7 frag pack from LC) and am crossing my fingers that they do okay!! A few are single polyp frags that I have little faith on, but crossing my fingers.

natalia_la_loca

They jump, I lost my first one, so a cover will be needed. My first was the duller type, but still awesome, my second I think is the geometric or white banded possum wrasse.

great, thank you for the info :) Will definitely get a cover if I get a possum wrasse.

sorry to hear about the zoa troubles. I had my fair shares of melting zoas...sigh. I used Flatworm Exit before and while it helped, it never took out all the flatworms or zoa eating nudibranches. In the future, I will only consider natural fixes. No more chemical mumbo jumbo juice for my tanks.

Completely agree. The chemical fixes so often seem to do more harm than good. The one exception for me has been Chemi-Clean: it's eliminated stubborn cyano, even in my 8 gallon tank (!), without side effects.

Eek I hope my Zoas do well.... I just got my first few (7 frag pack from LC) and am crossing my fingers that they do okay!! A few are single polyp frags that I have little faith on, but crossing my fingers.

IME you are right to worry about single polyp frags, they are very vulnerable. The only single polyp frags that have thrived and multiplied over the long term for me have been petroglyphs, utter chaos and blondies. I avoid single polyps now and opt for colonies (6+ large polyps, 10+ small) whenever possible.

I agree!

:blush::flower:

natalia_la_loca

Oh Natalia... you are NOT the worst zoa mom ever!

Everyone makes mistakes! :grouphug:

aw, thanks :) don't mind me, i'm just being dramatic, lol

aaaaaand tea time :happydance:

18557560660_ff2bd1b754_z_d.jpg

I missed this a few weeks ago. I bought out (well like 2 cases) the Yellow & Blue a couple of years ago because I heard they were discontinuing it. It's lavender and chamomile. So good. The little sachets are gorgeous too :).

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-10%20at%2012.20.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-10%20at%2012.20.

natalia_la_loca

I missed this a few weeks ago. I bought out (well like 2 cases) the Yellow & Blue a couple of years ago because I heard they were discontinuing it. It's lavender and chamomile. So good. The little sachets are gorgeous too :).

oooh, that looks really nice :) I haven't looked at any of their herbal teas in ages, I'll have to see what they have next time I order.

For a while there I was addicted to their peppermint tea in sachets. It's the strongest and best peppermint tea I've ever had, better even than fresh peppermint from our backyard.

oooh, that looks really nice :) I haven't looked at any of their herbal teas in ages, I'll have to see what they have next time I order.

For a while there I was addicted to their peppermint tea in sachets. It's the strongest and best peppermint tea I've ever had, better even than fresh peppermint from our backyard.

I just looked and they still have it available. Guess I got bad info lol. That's ok...I like it a lot. I've given some away as gifts too. It's a nice relaxing herbal tea. That peppermint sounds incredible. I'll have to look into it!

Possum Wrasse.

Would do well in this little tank IMO.

I agree with the possum. The yellow banded seem to be less shy than the other two, but all great little fish. They look cute with their little mouths going around picking things off the rock.

natalia_la_loca

Well, it looks like the fruit loops and lite brites are a total loss (and I lost all the oompa loompas before the crash :tears: ). One eagle eye/melon morph is gone, but two others survived. Other than those, the rest of the colonies are still alive, although with significant loss of individual polyps. a few new pics:

The vice zoas were closed and sloughing off tissue for over two weeks. I was sure they were goners, but they are starting to look like they might recover. The petroglyphs have a long way to go, but they are all open and eating now.

19664986142_19028e6ee7_z_d.jpg

all the utter chaos are open again :happydance:

19597867662_1e51f98a88_z_d.jpg

snitches, still unhappy but slowly opening

18982230184_da62cbed75_z_d.jpg

everybody on the frag rack is fine

19049504044_3ae18fa735_z_d.jpg

...and these hotties are looking as awesome as ever.

19416835720_9b0bc7b6f6_z_d.jpg

natalia_la_loca

The cracked out Petros look kinda cool TBH. And the Utters look like nothing at all happened!

yup, they are kind of interesting. Still not as nice as they used to be IMO, but we'll see how they progress :)

I am so happy to hear some are on the rebound! Yea!!!

I know, it's really nice to see! I was afraid of a chain reaction for a while there.

Your tank had a setback? YULIE?!

It looks great!

well, it could always be worse ;) of course those were the flattering close-up shots of the colonies that are doing well. I've still got a ton of unhappy zoas:

19675660886_fa6400cc2d_z_d.jpg

Archived