Top Shelf Aquatics

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
✌Mrs.ZoasGirl✌

Natalia, please write to the difficulties encountered in the content of zoanthid and what morphs do you think light-requiring, and what on the contrary - shade?

natalia_la_loca

Natalia, please write to the difficulties encountered in the content of zoanthid and what morphs do you think light-requiring, and what on the contrary - shade?

here are a few things I've found beneficial:

1. Provide frequent feedings of small quantities of small-particle coral food such as Fauna Marin Ultra Ricordea & Zoanthus mixed with Ultra Min D (these products are made in Germany, I am not sure if they are available in Russia)

2. Do frequent water changes and other forms of nutrient export to prevent growth of nuisance algae that can outcompete the zoanthids

3. Have a small cleanup crew--only what is necessary to remove nuisance algae--as excessive numbers of invertebrates will irritate zoas in a small system

4. Always dip new acquisitions in CoralRX or similar product to eliminate pests before introduction to the tank.

5. I have not seen clear morph-specific tendencies in my zoas regarding light preference--only that most do not like extremely strong light. On the other hand, all commercially available zoas (that I know of) need some light to survive; none prefer compete shade.

I hope this helps. Welcome to Nano-reef and if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

You from Russia thats cool.

✌Mrs.ZoasGirl✌

Thank you very much for detailed answer)))) Fauna Marin we have on sale) about shiners, what would you suggest and of fish can be planted gobiodon histrio?

I have sand and never will be)

You from Russia thats cool.

Yap))))

Ahh natalia, I have been on vacation and only got back this week. With so much to catch up on I missed that you are having difficulties with your zoas. I am very sorry, that really stinks big time. I hope everything gets back on track soon and you can re-build. Your tank really was amazing and I have no doubt can be again.

natalia_la_loca

Thank you very much for detailed answer)))) Fauna Marin we have on sale) about shiners, what would you suggest and of fish can be planted gobiodon histrio?

I have sand and never will be)

you are most welcome :) I am not sure what you mean by shiners, can you clarify?

Yes, gobiodon histrio should do well a tank of your size. I suggest you put a screen over your tank, as gobies like to jump.

Ahh natalia, I have been on vacation and only got back this week. With so much to catch up on I missed that you are having difficulties with your zoas. I am very sorry, that really stinks big time. I hope everything gets back on track soon and you can re-build. Your tank really was amazing and I have no doubt can be again.

thank you for the kind words :flower: I am now back to a regular maintenance routine, doing regular feeding and water changes to see which zoas recover. Based on the current state of things, it looks like this is not a total crash, so that's something.

✌Mrs.ZoasGirl✌

You wrote about shiners from algae, but you need to choose those that will not disturb zoas

Have a small cleanup crew--only what is necessary to remove nuisance algae--as excessive numbers of invertebrates will irritate zoas in a small system

ugh...sorry :(. So glad it wasn't a total loss though!!!!!!

How's the garden growing? I finally got mine up and running :).

natalia_la_loca

You wrote about shiners from algae, but you need to choose those that will not disturb zoas

Ah, do you mean clean-up crew? In my 30 liter tank my clean up crew is one snail Trochus sp. Occasionally I add a Mexican turbo snail, Turbo fluctuosa, to eliminate hair algae. After the hair algae is gone, I remove the turbo snail because they are large and like to knock things over.

I also have a peppermint shrimp lysmata wurdemanni who I added to eat some aiptasia anemones. The anemones are gone now, so I feed him so that he does not steal food from the zoas.

ugh...sorry :(. So glad it wasn't a total loss though!!!!!!

How's the garden growing? I finally got mine up and running :).

Most of the garden is doing extremely well with all the rain we've had, although our sweet peppers are not having this wet weather. It looks like we'll have a decent harvest from our little blueberry bushes this year, the bird netting paid off :) What are you growing in your garden?

✌Mrs.ZoasGirl✌

Ah, do you mean clean-up crew? In my 30 liter tank my clean up crew is one snail Trochus sp. Occasionally I add a Mexican turbo snail, Turbo fluctuosa, to eliminate hair algae. After the hair algae is gone, I remove the turbo snail because they are large and like to knock things over.

I also have a peppermint shrimp lysmata wurdemanni who I added to eat some aiptasia anemones. The anemones are gone now, so I feed him so that he does not steal food from the zoas.

Thought so)) thanks a lot! 'll be watching Your theme)

Hoping for the best with the regular maintenance schedule and you are able to salvage a lot of your zoas.

We have blue berries too. We should net them but we have enough to share, I think.

Most of the garden is doing extremely well with all the rain we've had, although our sweet peppers are not having this wet weather. It looks like we'll have a decent harvest from our little blueberry bushes this year, the bird netting paid off :) What are you growing in your garden?

We have a variety of peppers, tomatoes, squash, basil, radish, and one pumpkin. I think that's it. Oh, I planted some nasturtium seeds and cilantro seeds. We'll see if they do anything :).
natalia_la_loca

We have blue berries too. We should net them but we have enough to share, I think.

our bushes are still little, so it's either the birds or us! The birds got all the berries the last two years, so now it's our turn :)

Stinks :( how are things now?

It's looking up just a tiny tiny bit. The petroglyphs are opening again with what I optimistically call an "interesting" new color scheme, some rastas and rings of fire are showing their little faces here and there, utter chaos look pretty okay, and a handful of colonies are miraculously unscathed. Other than that...death and destruction, and I don't think it's over yet...I sucked out the remains of a few more necrotic zoas yesterday. Will post some pix tonight.

We have a variety of peppers, tomatoes, squash, basil, radish, and one pumpkin. I think that's it. Oh, I planted some nasturtium seeds and cilantro seeds. We'll see if they do anything :).

beautiful :) It's so nice to be able to pick some fresh cilantro whenever you need it.

our bushes are still little, so it's either the birds or us! The birds got all the berries the last two years, so now it's our turn :)

It's looking up just a tiny tiny bit. The petroglyphs are opening again with what I optimistically call an "interesting" new color scheme, some rastas and rings of fire are showing their little faces here and there, utter chaos look pretty okay, and a handful of colonies are miraculously unscathed. Other than that...death and destruction, and I don't think it's over yet...I sucked out the remains of a few more necrotic zoas yesterday. Will post some pix tonight.

beautiful :) It's so nice to be able to pick some fresh cilantro whenever you need it.

I know! I love cilantro :). So glad you didn't lose the petroglyphs. What color are they now?
natalia_la_loca

I know! I love cilantro :). So glad you didn't lose the petroglyphs. What color are they now?

They're the same color, but the colors are not as intense and the pattern is more chaotic, not as symmetrical as it used to be. They are also not completely open yet, so it's hard to say at this point how their colors will end up when/if they fully recover. They are my favorites by far, so I really hope they pull through.

They're the same color, but the colors are not as intense and the pattern is more chaotic, not as symmetrical as it used to be. They are also not completely open yet, so it's hard to say at this point how their colors will end up when/if they fully recover. They are my favorites by far, so I really hope they pull through.

fingerscrossed

I love mine too. Those and the pink hippos or whatever they are called.

Oh man, I have flatworms in my Nuvo8. And, I have a bottle of Flatworm Exit. I've never been brave enough to use it though. I think you have convinced me to maintain my regime of vacuuming them out with my water changes. (I did have a blue velvet nudi who did freaking amazing work until he went into my overflow and throughmy circulation pump...)

Nanofreak79

Omg....that sucks ass, I've been there I feel your pain.

I lost my petroglyphs :( happy yours are still there.

natalia_la_loca

Oh man, I have flatworms in my Nuvo8. And, I have a bottle of Flatworm Exit. I've never been brave enough to use it though. I think you have convinced me to maintain my regime of vacuuming them out with my water changes. (I did have a blue velvet nudi who did freaking amazing work until he went into my overflow and throughmy circulation pump...)

ha, you know what my answer's gonna be on that ;) maybe try again with another nudi and put a thin sponge over the overflow?

Oh no! But post pictures of the ugliness so we can marvel at the improvement in another month :)

Oh man, so sorry to hear this, Natalia :(

Omg....that sucks ass, I've been there I feel your pain.

I lost my petroglyphs :( happy yours are still there.

thanks guys :grouphug: I took some pictures just now to document the carnage.

FTS...looking pretty sad compared to 2 weeks ago

19374217770_b685119c2a_z_d.jpg

:tears:

19374202848_60a2a81162_z_d.jpg

the one bright spot: these cuties just said "whatevs" and kept on going

19374202118_66c6af4f1e_z_d.jpg

The ultra searchlights are not as "ultra" anymore but hopefully will color up again...

19374211438_31ec262f93_z_d.jpg

the petros...still extremely cranky but hopefully coming back :owned:

19562165055_3fd2bbcfa6_z_d.jpg

at least I still have one happy tank. yay kenya trees.

19374251428_554d6829e9_z_d.jpg

Archived