Coral Vue Hydros

Chris' 40B

Chris!

What is that big azz purple tipped colony of sticks?

Sorry I missed this bro....

I'm guessing your talking about this one right....

DSCN0866.jpg

It is an acropora nana.

This one is an Acropora Granulosa:

DSCN0647.jpg

Here is more of a colony shot of the granny when she was coloring up....

DSCN0841.jpg

DSCN0657.jpg

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did this one day to show the powers of photochop......

From this (the above granulosa w/ flash and no tank lights, or maybe just whites on low I don't fully remember now...):

DSCN0666.jpg

To this:

sweeet.jpg

Don't believe everything you see on the net kids :) lol

Here is a slightly better phone pic of the scoly I just grabbed, definitely quite a bit of die off but seems to be doing ok, and it took food.... I haven't fed the thing directly in probably 8 months, until recently I didn't think it was going to make it because the mouth was half gone :wacko:

IMAG0602_1_zps4xpe0s2p.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on around here was going to order some coral to get a little more color up in this bitch but didn't work out. Oh well aint gonna sweat it, wasn't nothin that special anyway...I haven't been that impressed with much out there lately either, seems to be alot of boring or super fresh straight out of the wholesalers bag and immediately up for grabs type shit running around lately :(

In good news, my fat ass has gone from being 281.4lbs down to 266.8 in the last 2 weeks. :D

Nanofreak79

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice FTS, it lives.

I need to drop about ten myself.....working on it.

Thanks for posting the pics. Nice FTS, it lives.

I snapped a few pics with the dslr lastnight, when I will get around to getting them off the camera and on here, uploaded and all that who knows.... but I took a couple.

I need to drop about ten myself.....working on it.

I'm at 265 today....... 40 more to go lol

Found this pic too, I got it pretty bleached, ended up turning it around and into a really good looking piece.... Another casualty of the faulty seam.

IMAG0437_zpsf5wvhda7.jpg

IMAG0467_zpsfasw4adq.jpg

Which reminds me, I haven't seen many acanthopyllia available lately :wacko:

jedimasterben

Named acros make more money, so people care less about everything else. Buy a large colony for $20-100 wholesale and sell 1" frags for $500, you get the picture. :wacko:

Named acros make more money, so people care less about everything else. Buy a large colony for $20-100 wholesale and sell 1" frags for $500, you get the picture. :wacko:

They were still getting a pretty good price for acanthopyllia for a while tho, the one I had was around 200 and not the most amazing one I've ever seen lol But they are a bit of work/ time consuming because they usually initially lose their color from all the stress of being imported shipped and moved around so much in a short period so flippers can't shoot em out in a day-2 weeks like alot of the easier shit.

glennr1978

The wholesale price on acanthophyllia has gone through the the roof. That's likely the reason why you see less of them. It's harder to turn a profit on them than it is scoly's....and the scoly market isn't really worth the time unless you sell master scoly's from tanks with blue sand.

IMAG0467_zpsfasw4adq.jpg

Looks like I have blue sand (unedited photo^), but colors are pretty damn accurate to what was visible to the eye..... blue sand isn't a big deal IMO and generally gives me a pretty good idea what something will look like in my tank which runs somewhat bluer lighting. Pink/yellow/purple/orange sand are all bigger indicators that something is off then blue sand.... but high saturation levels are the more common lie in photos ;)

Played around with the extension tubes on the dslr a while ago, finally got around to putting them on the comp and uploaded a couple....

DSC_0187_zpseb53b45f.jpg

I picked this scoly up bleached and not looking so great from a friend who was getting out, healed it up and had it looking quite nice.... Then the tank blew a seam and damn near lost it, and didn't think it was going to come back as it appeared to have damage up to and even including the mouth, but after 6 months or so of healing in the 40B it is finally making a strong come back. I recently started feeding it and seems to respond decently but still has a hard time with the smaller bottom area closing properly around food.

DSC_0197_zpsbc5feb02.jpg

I didn't edit this one at all, its actually a quite a bit brighter/more intense red then in the pic but yeah....

DSC_0198_zps427e2606.jpg

Discovered this little dude poking his head out watching me one day.... interestingly a couple days later the chipmunks that lived in the same tree disappeared lol

CSC_0042_zps1749bf9f.jpg

Went in for my MRI this morning, dunno when I will get the actual results forgot to ask when my dr would get em so I'll prolly call wednesday if the doc dont call me 1st. Tech said she didn't know shit shes just there to run the machine and make sure I stay still :wacko:

Went in for my MRI this morning, dunno when I will get the actual results forgot to ask when my dr would get em so I'll prolly call wednesday if the doc dont call me 1st. Tech said she didn't know shit shes just there to run the machine and make sure I stay still :wacko:

Oh, she knows when things look F'd up....covering their assets.

Probably found your unborn twin residing in your knee.

Oh, she knows when things look F'd up....covering their assets. Probably found your unborn twin residing in your knee.

Yeah I know, how that crap goes.... but I can usually get them to tell me anyway. She was nice before and then short and avoiding after I asked her about it lol

Naw knees not swollen or anything, bitch just kills.

Sorry about your knee, Chris. I hope you get the results ASAP and that they have some good news for you.

I don't know how I missed those photos you posted of your old tanks! Those huge acro colonies are just stunning and I loved that angel and or course the leopard! The new FTS for the current tank is looking good!

Sorry about your knee, Chris. I hope you get the results ASAP and that they have some good news for you.

Thanks Felicia. I'm really not to optimistic on the knee tho, its been long enough that from what I've read pretty much anything small would have healed itself already.... the pain is the same if not worse then day 1. It'd be great to just be able to rehab it or something but I won't be shocked if it is something more. It doesn't help that I have a pretty high tolerance to pain so if it bugs me its usually something exciting lol

I don't know how I missed those photos you posted of your old tanks! Those huge acro colonies are just stunning and I loved that angel and or course the leopard! The new FTS for the current tank is looking good!

Glad you enjoyed the old pics, the large angel (Passer Angel) was one of my favorite fish (before the leopards) and was a gorgeous show size fish in my 180. :) Its ok that you missed them before, nothing to exciting going on around here. I haven't been to excited by the corals I have been seeing lately even from wholesalers so I've just been doing some reminiscing and enjoy life in the meantime :)

As far as the tank itself I am happy with it, seems to be fairly stable and the few things I do have inside are doing good atleast. Which reminds me, I need to shoot some pics of the fish again one of these days....

Well hopefully the knee issue is something that's easily fixed. Personally, I'd rather have something they can do surgery on and fix, than something ongoing that needs lots of rehab and may never be 100%. I've got an old injury to my foot that never healed right and they can't do anything now besides physical therapy and try to make it feel bearable. I'd much rather have them say they could do surgery on it and just fix it.

I want large angels someday. I really want to have a big FOWLR system with big angels, a moray, and a puffer. Did that angel ever bother your corals?

Being picky is better than just buying stuff because its all that is available. I've learned to be a bit pickier about my corals since I have limited real estate and want to end up with things that I love. I'd really love to see new shots of the fish! I'm on a bit of a fish kick since I'm so in love with my fish now. I used to be all about the coral, but atm I'm loving the fish and the corals pretty equally.

Well hopefully the knee issue is something that's easily fixed. Personally, I'd rather have something they can do surgery on and fix, than something ongoing that needs lots of rehab and may never be 100%. I've got an old injury to my foot that never healed right and they can't do anything now besides physical therapy and try to make it feel bearable. I'd much rather have them say they could do surgery on it and just fix it.

Same here, fix it and get it over with lol

I want large angels someday. I really want to have a big FOWLR system with big angels, a moray, and a puffer. Did that angel ever bother your corals?

Eventually when we move and have the room my wife wants 2 large display tanks (like 3-500g lol), one for FOWLR because she really likes the fish more then anything, and a large reef :)

Him, my flame, and coral beauty would all mess with lps, but never horrible with the sps (sps the dwarfs would pick at sometimes but nothing to damaging). The only polyps I ever had them with were a small frag of like 15 purple hornets when they were still fairly pricey.... pretty sure my yellow tang took them out tho lol

Being picky is better than just buying stuff because its all that is available. I've learned to be a bit pickier about my corals since I have limited real estate and want to end up with things that I love. I'd really love to see new shots of the fish! I'm on a bit of a fish kick since I'm so in love with my fish now. I used to be all about the coral, but atm I'm loving the fish and the corals pretty equally.

Yeah I would rather have nothing then a bunch of stuff I don't really like. If I had my 180 still not such a big deal but like you said less space I want to fill it with some real goodies that I truly like. :) I really enjoy the fish as well, and my kids are both interested in the fish over anything else right now as well so it works out pretty good. I will try to get some fish shots fairly soon, but they are pretty fast and I don't have much patience when it comes to camera time :wacko:

Archived