Pod Your Reef

Chris' 40B

Chris!

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would actually get the reefcleaners rock and then just the emaco pack from Marco rocks. http://www.marcorocks.com/aquascape-supplies/e-marco-400/

The rock from RC and MR is from the same quarry, but RC preps theirs so there isn't any good amount of bound phosphorus. All you get on it is dust :)

Thats actually what I have in my carts right now lol I think I am going to go with 100lbs of RC rock to start, and 10lbs emarco kit w/10 lbs of rubble for filler and to get the free shipping lol

New tank - awesome! Looking forward to following along

Thanks I am definitely looking forward to it myself :) The new tank will take 5-6 weeks but it should be well worth the wait!

This is going to be a long 5 - 6 weeks.....

No doubt!!! Luckily it gives me time to figure out the lights (considering some sort of t5/led combo), sump and stand which will all atleast somewhat be DIY... the rest is already here or on its way soon ;)

So did miracles ever take your money for this build? I started looking at marinelands deep dimension series, that was a mistake I like the 150 cube... well kinda cube 36x36x27

I like it.. the white trim looks nice, however I think it makes the tank look smaller, that doesn't look like a 40b to me.. I like the scape too, nice and open..

That's how I thought, very clean look with the white trim but does not look like a 40b.

Alright, 100 lbs of RC rock, 10lbs of emarco mortar, and 20 lbs of rubble on the way :)

Along with another Bubble Magus BM180A skimmer from Ben.

Good choice. I also have Reef Cleaners rock and I could not be happier. Not sure where you saw bad reviews. I've ordered dry rock from him 3 times now and I have been very happy. They stuff is awesome and only needs to be rinsed off.

So did miracles ever take your money for this build? I started looking at marinelands deep dimension series, that was a mistake I like the 150 cube... well kinda cube 36x36x27

Yes, they have my money lol.... Everything is finalized, design is approved and just waiting to be built and shipped which will take 5-6 weeks. The wait time sucks, and I could have gotten it sooner other places but that is the price you pay for quality ;)

I looked into the marinelands before, they are nice but the build quality isn't overly impressive from what I have seen and I have heard of several issues with seems and cracks even on their stands.

That's how I thought, very clean look with the white trim but does not look like a 40b.

Thank you, I definitely like the white trim for that clean finished look as well.... it is an off the shelf $/g petco 40B I promise :)

Good choice. I also have Reef Cleaners rock and I could not be happier. Not sure where you saw bad reviews. I've ordered dry rock from him 3 times now and I have been very happy. They stuff is awesome and only needs to be rinsed off.

I don't recall where they were, maybe RC? more length of time to ship and a few people had algae issues if I recall... there were more good then bad and John sent an email yesterday saying it would ship today tho.

With Marco the 20lbs of rubble has shipped, but the 10lbs Emarco mortar kit has not (or atleast I haven't received confirmation to its shipment) :wacko:

Yes, they have my money lol.... Everything is finalized, design is approved and just waiting to be built and shipped which will take 5-6 weeks. The wait time sucks, and I could have gotten it sooner other places but that is the price you pay for quality ;)

I looked into the marinelands before, they are nice but the build quality isn't overly impressive from what I have seen and I have heard of several issues with seems and cracks even on their stands.

Thank you, I definitely like the white trim for that clean finished look as well.... it is an off the shelf $/g petco 40B I promise :)

I don't recall where they were, maybe RC? more length of time to ship and a few people had algae issues if I recall... there were more good then bad and John sent an email yesterday saying it would ship today tho.

With Marco the 20lbs of rubble has shipped, but the 10lbs Emarco mortar kit has not (or atleast I haven't received confirmation to its shipment) :wacko:

I read up on that some a but they seem to be complaints from the first batch that went out in 2008 on rc and a few other forums. Are miracles prices reasonable compared to any other quotes you got or more on the high end?

I read up on that some a but they seem to be complaints from the first batch that went out in 2008 on rc and a few other forums.

There were a couple from 2011-2013 but nothing alarming. Heard alot of good from people here tho that I trust so I look forward to getting them :)

Are miracles prices reasonable compared to any other quotes you got or more on the high end?

It wasnt cheap, they are considered by many the 2nd best tank builders around as far as quality is concerned and its supposed to be really close between them and reef savvy.... I could have had the tank, stand, canopy and sump built locally for what I paid for this tank alone.... but of a lower quality from what I have seen/heard. The locals do a good job and build nice tanks, and my decision to go elsewhere wasn't because they are bad, they just arent great. That said, I "saved" $700 compared to what Reef Savvy quoted me before shipping (as they still haven't given me that price that I requested several weeks ago now.)

I chose Miracles because I wanted a high quality tank and plan on running this tank for atleast 5 yrs. My current 40B has a pretty good bow to it and my last tank split a seem so quality was very important this go around.

There were a couple from 2011-2013 but nothing alarming. Heard alot of good from people here tho that I trust so I look forward to getting them :)

It wasnt cheap, they are considered by many the 2nd best tank builders around as far as quality is concerned and its supposed to be really close between them and reef savvy.... I could have had the tank, stand, canopy and sump built locally for what I paid for this tank alone.... but of a lower quality from what I have seen/heard. The locals do a good job and build nice tanks, and my decision to go elsewhere wasn't because they are bad, they just arent great. That said, I "saved" $700 compared to what Reef Savvy quoted me before shipping (as they still haven't given me that price that I requested several weeks ago now.)

I chose Miracles because I wanted a high quality tank and plan on running this tank for atleast 5 yrs. My current 40B has a pretty good bow to it and my last tank split a seem so quality was very important this go around.

i was just lookin at their fb page where they have some cool prebuilts listed hmmm

i was just lookin at their fb page where they have some cool prebuilts listed hmmm

I don't use facebook.... but I wish I woulda thought about it that 6'x 30"W was what I was originally considering and is actually cheaper then the one I got... probably discounting for the nonrefundable deposit someone backed out on lol

But seriously, if you can swing it man I would definitely consider going with Miracles the whole process so far has been really simple communication has been pretty good and from what I've seen and heard their quality is real hard to beat especially for the price.... which isn't the cheapest but considerably less then Reef Savvy the supposed best that has IME horrible communication.

I don't use facebook.... but I wish I woulda thought about it that 6'x 30"W was what I was originally considering and is actually cheaper then the one I got... probably discounting for the nonrefundable deposit someone backed out on lol

But seriously, if you can swing it man I would definitely consider going with Miracles the whole process so far has been really simple communication has been pretty good and from what I've seen and heard their quality is real hard to beat especially for the price.... which isn't the cheapest but considerably less then Reef Savvy the supposed best that has IME horrible communication.

I do love the look of em, I think your not gonna know what to do with yourself when you get yours delivered. I saw the 4ftx4ftx24 inch 240 they had for sale and i think I started drooling. Could run 2 250w halides and call it done for lighting on that footprint too which is great. thats what I hate about long tanks is you have to pay for serious lighting that spills way over front to back, or would if you don't run a hood.

Did you go with a rimless, euro, or classic style tank. I honestly may go with a euro or classic for the peace of mind they provide. I hear a lot of 90p's from ada fail after 2 years at the seams and my mr aqua is the same size... scary business.

I do love the look of em, I think your not gonna know what to do with yourself when you get yours delivered. I saw the 4ftx4ftx24 inch 240 they had for sale and i think I started drooling. Could run 2 250w halides and call it done for lighting on that footprint too which is great. thats what I hate about long tanks is you have to pay for serious lighting that spills way over front to back, or would if you don't run a hood.

Did you go with a rimless, euro, or classic style tank. I honestly may go with a euro or classic for the peace of mind they provide. I hear a lot of 90p's from ada fail after 2 years at the seams and my mr aqua is the same size... scary business.

Yeah I saw the 4'4'2' 240 as well, wife wanted a "square tank" its definitely a sexy tank... I asked her if she wanted the the 36x36x24.... I have a problem! LOL

Your right tho, I am like a kid in a crackhouse right now just thinking about the possibilities and I am 5-6 weeks away from getting my hands on this sexy glass box :wacko::wub: lol

Yeah deep/wide tanks kick ass for many reasons, which was why I wanted to go with the 30" front to back. I would have loved to go 3-4' but even the 30" was pushing it for tank spots that really work without alot of rearranging or rewiring the house LOL While I must admit I miss my old 180 and the 6' was nice, but I really missed that 6" front to back more.

I went with a Euro for the peace of mind, and since I keep wrasses I will have a screen on the tank it didn't make sense really IMO to spend the extra for a rimless. I am not sure if I will run a standard canopy or a "floating" canopy yet tho...

Tank failure is usually more of a bad silicone job/quality typically, unless panels shatter lol. A properly built (thicker glass then standard tanks) with quality silicone is just as safe IMO as a standard or eurobraced tank. A rimless with standard thickness glass..... RUN! On a good note tho, I have heard alot of good about the Mr. Aqua tanks, not to sure on long term tho but people seem to love em :)

Good plan man. 5-6 weeks... I had to wait that long for my LeeMar I am using now. It sucked, but I ordered everything while I waited. It game me something to do at least lol. It seems you are keeping busy with ordering your parts too.

Good plan man. 5-6 weeks... I had to wait that long for my LeeMar I am using now. It sucked, but I ordered everything while I waited. It game me something to do at least lol. It seems you are keeping busy with ordering your parts too.

Yeah the wait is definitely hard and its only been a few days.... but I have pretty much everything ordered just need to figure out a few things. I think I am going to convert my 40B into the sump, that should give me plenty of room for what I need and leave a good amount of space in the stand for everything else ;)

My home remodel and :ninja: project have been keeping me pretty busy as well so that helps.... and both have a time frame longer then the 5-6 weeks atleast I hope :) lol

......As long as you actually finish.

Half bath just needs the floor, toilet and sink put back in. Youngest sons room just needs the floor and trim painted and installed..... getting there :)

:ninja: is in place and just waiting to ensure everything is good :)

Half bath just needs the floor, toilet and sink put back in. Youngest sons room just needs the floor and trim painted and installed..... getting there :)

:ninja: is in place and just waiting to ensure everything is good :)

You have a ninja project? AWESOME! :D

Archived