SaltCritters.com

Chris' 40B

Chris!

Yeah photo boxes can definitely cause issues with shadowing, but all you need to do is change up the angle a little and that will usually solve that problem. It just takes a little practice. You might also try shooting larger pieces such as these lobo's with your stock lens and then cropping the pic. I find that I get better clarity, and DOF is far better than when shooting with a macro lens, particularly with hand held shots.

Yeah I'm not to worried I need to go get new batteries for my auto clicker which should help with the clarity/ camera stability. But I've got time to practice :)

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sexual tension between you two is astounding.

Fwiw to my untrained eye, what exactly is it about pictures that make it obviously edited? I can look at a picture and say "that's edited" , "that's spot on", and "that's just the lighting".... But I have no idea what's actually telling me that. It's kind of just intuition.

Fwiw to my untrained eye, what exactly is it about pictures that make it obviously edited? I can look at a picture and say "that's edited" , "that's spot on", and "that's just the lighting".... But I have no idea what's actually telling me that. It's kind of just intuition.

In most cases its a blown out color, A chunk of red for instance that has almost 0 detail in it. A true representation of a coral will 100% always have texture detail in all of its colors.

Another giveaway Is when you see blue fringing on the eggcrate even though the bulk of the eggcrate looks white. (The white section is usually blown out white aswell with 0 detail)

Please, Chris couldn't handle this :lol:

It's kinda intuition for most of us. Other than those with more knowledge of photography, it's really all intuition. My whole point initially was that LED's really don't help ease the speculation. LED's wreak havoc on pictures, even for those that know what they're doing. It's almost impossible to get a pic that doesn't look like it's been hacked up when shooting under LED's. Once again, that's my old school opinion. Most have grown to accept it.

For example, you can take a simple camera phone (which is what the majority use to shoot pics of their tanks) and take a picture of a tank under LED's...it will likely look like a big glowing blue/purple distorted mess (happens all the time). If you took a pic of the same tank with the same phone under mh or t5 it would be a much more accurate pic, without any editing. Basically, it's easier to shoot under lights that aren't LED.

In most cases its a blown out color, A chunk of red for instance that has almost 0 detail in it. A true representation of a coral will 100% always have texture detail in all of its colors.

Unless you use an out of focus crap shot to begin with :)

Please, Chris couldn't handle this :lol:

Quit tryin to flirt with me, I aint into people that pick fights with handicapped people.

It's kinda intuition for most of us. Other than those with more knowledge of photography, it's really all intuition. My whole point initially was that LED's really don't help ease the speculation. LED's wreak havoc on pictures, even for those that know what they're doing. It's almost impossible to get a pic that doesn't look like it's been hacked up when shooting under LED's. Once again, that's my old school opinion. Most have grown to accept it.

For example, you can take a simple camera phone (which is what the majority use to shoot pics of their tanks) and take a picture of a tank under LED's...it will likely look like a big glowing blue/purple distorted mess (happens all the time). If you took a pic of the same tank with the same phone under mh or t5 it would be a much more accurate pic, without any editing. Basically, it's easier to shoot under lights that aren't LED.

We get it Glenn your scared of LEDs, their not for everyone :)

I wasn't referring to that first pic that was out of focus... ok maybe i was lol

I wasn't referring to that first pic that was out of focus... ok maybe i was lol

Its ok, I'm not perfect.... but I'm working on it :)

J/K but seriously those acans literally glow bright red. :)

jedimasterben

Glenn, can you tell me which of these pics were shot under LED and which were under T5? These are all old pics with my sister's DSLR from when I didn't know shit about cameras, everything below was all just having a good lens to make up for it.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0397-1.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

20130503-IMG_0032.jpg

20130503-IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0385-1.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

20121023-IMG_0013.jpg

The next ones are all LED only with a Droid 4 as the camera.

IMAGE00016_2.jpg

IMAGE00020.jpg

IMG_20130914_201818220.jpg

IMAGE00021.jpg

Quit tryin to flirt with me, I aint into people that pick fights with handicapped people.

We get it Glenn your scared of LEDs, their not for everyone :)

lol. What's crazy is the handicapped are always coming at me! How's the knee, buddy?

Glenn, can you tell me which of these pics were shot under LED and which were under T5? These are all old pics with my sister's DSLR from when I didn't know shit about cameras, everything below was all just having a good lens to make up for it.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0397-1.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

20130503-IMG_0032.jpg

20130503-IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0385-1.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

20121023-IMG_0013.jpg

The next ones are all LED only with a Droid 4 as the camera.

IMAGE00016_2.jpg

IMAGE00020.jpg

IMG_20130914_201818220.jpg

IMAGE00021.jpg

This post really isn't relevant. While your pics are decent, they aren't anywhere near good enough to sell coral. Which is what we are really talking about, regardless of Chris' claim of "practice" and his new found love of LPS (ironic, no?). If he was just practicing then why even post them? He's just trying to create a little buzz, which is fine, I did it too :).

jedimasterben

This post really isn't relevant. While your pics are decent, they aren't anywhere near good enough to sell coral. Which is what we are really talking about, regardless of Chris' claim of "practice" and his new found love of LPS (ironic, no?). If he was just practicing then why even post them? He's just trying to create a little buzz, which is fine, I did it too :).

I just wanted to see if you could tell the difference :)

I just wanted to see if you could tell the difference :)
No I couldn't tell. Slap those corals on some white egg crate and I probably could though.

I think the issue with pictures, LED's, and egg crate is relative to the typical depth of holding tanks (or the lack there of). It seems to me that you get much more of the disco ball effect when shooting in a shallow tank because of the lack of light diffusion in shallow water. I could be completely wrong though, that's just an assumption.

lol. What's crazy is the handicapped are always coming at me!

Mmm hmmm....

How's the knee, buddy?

LMAO, I really hope your not trying to imply that I am handicapped or coming at you.... remember whos thread this is ;) Its ok I know you've made little pokes in lawns thread to, its almost flattering how "concerned" you are, maybe my pics aren't really that bad for just getting started on trying to take a decent pic ;)

This post really isn't relevant. While your pics are decent, they aren't anywhere near good enough to sell coral.

If I wanted to sell coral I woulda posted pics of frags. I'm not in a rush tho I'd rather make sure they are healed and healthy.

Which is what we are really talking about, regardless of Chris' claim of "practice" and his new found love of LPS (ironic, no?). If he was just practicing then why even post them? He's just trying to create a little buzz, which is fine, I did it too :).

Not what we are talking about, what you are talking about....

If i was trying to push em or even "create a little buzz" I would post em in a thread that has much more activity and say stuff like.... "everythings for sale", but instead I have said none of this is for sale, nor will these exact pieces become available... only after your "concern" and silly claims did I finally say yes there would eventually be frags available, but not at this time.

LOL Yup definitely true I've never been a huge fan of Z/P's , LPS have always been nice tho IMO, but yup I've always focused on SPS... Its no secret I've always preferred SPS over other types of coral, I know how to care for everything I bring in, if I didn't I wouldn't bring it in regardless if I thought someone else would want it or not. I'd rather not bring in coral at all then bring stuff in just to kill it, personally and business wise.... So what's your point other then a poorly disguised attempt to try to take some little jabs at your future competition?

jedimasterben

No I couldn't tell. Slap those corals on some white egg crate and I probably could though.

I think the issue with pictures, LED's, and egg crate is relative to the typical depth of holding tanks (or the lack there of). It seems to me that you get much more of the disco ball effect when shooting in a shallow tank because of the lack of light diffusion in shallow water. I could be completely wrong though, that's just an assumption.

Your assumption is valid :)

That's one of the reasons I run no lenses on my lights, and I wish I could easily diffuse them further, though thankfully I really don't get any color disco except for in pictures with high shutter speed.

Mmm hmmm....

LMAO, I really hope your not trying to imply that I am handicapped or coming at you.... remember whos thread this is ;) Its ok I know you've made little pokes in lawns thread to, its almost flattering how "concerned" you are, maybe my pics aren't really that bad for just getting started on trying to take a decent pic ;)

If I wanted to sell coral I woulda posted pics of frags. I'm not in a rush tho I'd rather make sure they are healed and healthy.

Not what we are talking about, what you are talking about....

If i was trying to push em or even "create a little buzz" I would post em in a thread that has much more activity and say stuff like.... "everythings for sale", but instead I have said none of this is for sale, nor will these exact pieces become available... only after your "concern" and silly claims did I finally say yes there would eventually be frags available, but not at this time.

LOL Yup definitely true I've never been a huge fan of Z/P's , LPS have always been nice tho IMO, but yup I've always focused on SPS... Its no secret I've always preferred SPS over other types of coral, I know how to care for everything I bring in, if I didn't I wouldn't bring it in regardless if I thought someone else would want it or not. I'd rather not bring in coral at all then bring stuff in just to kill it, personally and business wise.... So what's your point other then a poorly disguised attempt to try to take some little jabs at your future competition?

Chris, I'm just going to keep this very short and straight to the point. I've tried to make amends with you more than once, even as recently as yesterday. My "silly claims" are the truth, not that it matters at all. I'm really not concerned by any means with what you do in any manner. I have a very active life outside of this site, so don't flatter yourself by thinking that you and your endeavors are something I worry about. Get over yourself, bro. I was simply trying to give you a little advice about your pictures, nothing more. And yes, I have made my comments here and there, you have as well. I figured you of all people could take it. Come on bro, you bought up a box full of cheap super glue, how could I not!?!?! We're both sarcastic, I'm sorry if you've taken any of it the wrong way.

In the words of nanofreak...."it's just coral". Try not to forget that, he made a very good point. :)

Also, I clicked your thread a few minutes ago while on my other account. I'm not sure what you did with the 40 but if you still have it running you should do something with it. The white trim looks sharp man.

Also, I clicked your thread a few minutes ago while on my other account. I'm not sure what you did with the 40 but if you still have it running you should do something with it. The white trim looks sharp man.

Its going to the basement to either become a sump or another observation/ QT tank which is more likely.

Its going to the basement to either become a sump or another observation/ QT tank which is more likely.

Haha, then you can be part of the fancy sump crew! I'm not sure if you've added this to your system, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a tank inline that is specifically taking pics. I wish I would have thought about that when I set up my system, and I may add something anyway. The way I have everything configured in the room now works great, but adding anything else to the system is going to be a pain in the ass.

No more DT for you? :(

Also sounds like I need to get Lightroom, sounds cool!

I've tried to make amends with you more than once, even as recently as yesterday.

Hmmm musta missed those, musta been subtle LOL Its all good tho I'm not worried about it really and sincerely wish you the best both personally and with your business. You've made it almost a year so must be doing something right :)

I know my pics need some work, thats why I'm practicing with a few of my pieces.... Maybe the pics under bluer light and representative of what they look like under bluer light/ leds will be received nicely here when I do get things down more and sponsor, maybe it won't and I will have to change or put my focus elsewhere but those are things that I will have to decide as I grow and go :)

Haha, then you can be part of the fancy sump crew! I'm not sure if you've added this to your system, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a tank inline that is specifically taking pics. I wish I would have thought about that when I set up my system, and I may add something anyway. The way I have everything configured in the room now works great, but adding anything else to the system is going to be a pain in the ass.

Its prettier then the stock black, but not that fancy lol

Yeah I have it in the works for the next system that is going up hopefully this weekend, between hangin drywall and layin tile.... Actually I mentioned doing a pic dedicated tank to you a long time ago :) I like to overthink stuff tho lol

No more DT for you? :(

Also sounds like I need to get Lightroom, sounds cool!

Oooooh no, I am waiting on the new one to be built and arrive. I have ordered a 3 sided starphire, 48x30x24 display from Miracles.

Hmmm musta missed those, musta been subtle LOL Its all good tho I'm not worried about it really and sincerely wish you the best both personally and with your business. You've made it almost a year so must be doing something right :)

There's nothing subtle about either one of us bro, come on now. Yeah the past year has been an adventure to say the least. For the most part, I can't wait to put 2014 in the rear view mirror. This has been the toughest year of my life by far and one that I don't wish to repeat anytime soon. On the business side it really is very simple. Just treat people right and you will do just fine. There are more than enough vendors in this business that are dishonest and burn people for a living. Those of us that don't will win in the end....or at least that' the theory I'm going with, lol. We shall see...

I know my pics need some work, thats why I'm practicing with a few of my pieces.... Maybe the pics under bluer light and representative of such will be received nicely here when I do get things down more and sponsor, maybe it won't and I will have to change or put my focus elsewhere but those are things that I will have to decide as I grow and go :)

You just have to be really careful. You don't want to over do the pics, even if the coral looks fantastic in your tank. It may not look as great in the recipient's system and the last thing you want is someone blasting you for false representation, or dare I say...photochopping! Especially when you first start out and don't have a reputation yet. You'll see what I mean man. Honestly, this business is a whole lot of rat race, which I really don't care for all that much. I'm not one to quit so I'm sure I'll be around for a while just the same. I just wish it were like it was back when I first got into reefing, back when zoas were zoas and SPS frags were 2"-3"....what we would call colonies today. It is what it is though and I will play along, no matter how much i don't like it, lol.

Oh that sounds sweet! I hate hate hate HATE how the standard glass distorts colors. We spend all this $ on beautiful coral and then it doesn't even look true to its colors behind the glass. My clam has beautiful pink stripes and I can't even see the pink unless I look from the top off the tank.

Replacing all my stupid standard glass tanks someday when I can afford it.

jedimasterben

My clam has beautiful pink stripes and I can't even see the pink unless I look from the top off the tank.

That's not because of the glass, that is because of the viewing angle.

That's not because of the glass, that is because of the viewing angle.

Whatever it is.. I HATE IT.... will starphire not help at all?

jedimasterben

Whatever it is.. I HATE IT.... will starphire not help at all?

Nope. The only thing that will fix it is looking from the top down. You could stick your head in the water and it would look identical to what you see from the outside of the glass.

Nope.

Shutup.. I don't want to believe you... I want to live in ignorance and have hope! LOL

Still helps coral colors though right?

Shutup.. I don't want to believe you... I want to live in ignorance and have hope! LOL

He is right... but if you could possibly tilt the clam forward to where you could see it more like you see it top down (but obviously not entirely parallel to the glass lol) that would be the only thing that would really help... other then looking from top down :)

Still helps coral colors though right?

Kinda I guess... it will remove the greenish tint. So if you have crystal clear water it will look like air instead of greenish tinted water lol

1_2_clear_vs_1_2_low_iron_glass-1-300x17

Archived