SaltCritters.com

Chris' 40B

Chris!

You have a ninja project? AWESOME! :D

Yes I have a rather large :ninja: project underway. The wraps should come off fully around November, with a "trial run" around mid Oct. :D

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I have a rather large :ninja: project underway. The wraps should come off fully around November, with a "trial run" around mid Oct. :D

...........they know too much. :lockdown:

Question is.. Do you? :lol:

The voices say, yes. Yes I do :)

SOOO, carpet anemone tank full of clown gobies.

I'm not that crazy lol

tank full of stonefish and lionfish, he's researching poison control

Naw none of that weak shit, I've got a line on a couple blue ring octopus ;)

FedEx showed up today with my E-Marco mortar kit. Nice little kit complete with bucket and trowel to mix/ apply.....I honestly could have done without out probably but I like the security with the new tank ;) The reef cleaners rock fit together pretty nicely, I don't anticipate doing anything crazy but maybe....

Someone (arrived when I was gone and don't recall seeing a shipping co. name on the label with the 20lbs of rubble I ordered from Marco Rocks..... decent looking little pieces, but clearly has some dead matter/ decay still on the few pieces I looked at.

UPS also showed up today with the 100lbs of rock I ordered from Reef Cleaners..... 1st UPS blows donkeys I wouldn't ship a damn thing through them so when I say him back into my driveway I was a bit concerned. Then the douche bag swings open the back door laughing "what is this soap or something, this box took one hell of a beating":

DSC_0221_zps37e10102.jpg

DSC_0222_zps7206b054.jpg

DSC_0220_zps101c1afc.jpg

I was kind of surprised after seeing other companies bubble wrapping individual rocks and RC having pretty good reviews that there was nothing to protect the rocks from tumbling around at all in the boxes:

DSC_0224_zps152c9214.jpg

DSC_0223_zpsf0f8b074.jpg

The one box wasn't to bad but the "beat up box" had quite a bit of broken off pieces and a ton of dust, considering its arrival shape and no protection it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be:

DSC_0225_zps2f3df845.jpg

All in all I am pretty happy (except with UPS), the rock appears to be well cleaned (other then the severe coating of dust from bouncing all around) and there aren't any noticeably damaged pieces.:

After a quick 5 minute goof off session with the rock I came up with this (on a piece of vinyl left over from my bathroom remodel cut to size of the new tank ;)):

DSC_0229_zps619e8373.jpg

DSC_0230_zpse925a33e.jpg

I highly doubt that will be the actual scape just something I threw together to see what I could do with it and if it was going to be enough... I think it will be plenty :)

Reef Savvy finally got back to me about shipping..... 2-3 weeks after my request for it (maybe longer since I asked for it in my initial quote request from them lol). Shipped price would have put them at nearly double what the Miracles tank cost me.

As clean as it looks, I would still 100% do an acid wash on those rocks. It's so inexpensive and easy that it's not really worth it to not do one. Better safe than sorry!

I like the overall look man, not sure about the 3 rock boner you've got sticking up in there though, lol.

Also, my wife thinks you have cute kids :)

As clean as it looks, I would still 100% do an acid wash on those rocks. It's so inexpensive and easy that it's not really worth it to not do one. Better safe than sorry!

I like the overall look man, not sure about the 3 rock boner you've got sticking up in there though, lol.

They're not his.

Yeah I planned to before I got them.... there isn't even a "rock" smell to these things they seriously have 0 smell, its crazy how clean they are. I am still considering it, aint like I don't have time lol I asked BA about it I can't find his write up he did on it, but I aint seen him around much since, and I've been busy so I mighta even missed where he pointed it out :wacko:

LOL... I seriously threw that together in 5 minutes, maybe less. Its not bad, but its to much for what I originally had planned. I will likely do 3-4 stacks instead of the 6 or so that are there. I've got the E-Marco too so I might mess around with that and make some branching structures too, worse case I have a 7" diamond blade for my table/ circular saw on the way, a wet tile saw, and the gryphon so I might hack something up too... I kinda wanna build a rock wall on my overflow ;)

They like blondes. ;) I really can't take much credit for their looks, the wife helps out alot more there lol

Meh you don't need to acid wash those. I have used RC rock many times.. not one damn dead thing in/on them.

Yeah they seem to be super clean. I might still do it just cuz I have 20lbs of rubble from Marco rocks that needs to be cleaned, and since these got banged up pretty bad in shipping I think it will help get rid of some of the smooth spots as well.

My brs reefsaver came very clean, I did get a shitton of diatoms but I tried new sand aswell so I can't say the silica was from that or the new sand.

Lookin forward to seein wtf u can do with that stuff. Are you going to try to sculpt it using the stuff ben was linking earlier?

My brs reefsaver came very clean, I did get a shitton of diatoms but I tried new sand aswell so I can't say the silica was from that or the new sand.

Yeah I am not sure what sand I am going to run yet, I didn't even think of any issues with that really.... damn decisions decisions... :(

Lookin forward to seein wtf u can do with that stuff. Are you going to try to sculpt it using the stuff ben was linking earlier?

Me too, the rock is pretty nice by itself, and I have the stuff Ben linked to make a crazy scape, just not sure how crazy I want to get or if I wanna do something a bit more "natural".... time will tell :D

Dude, I'd say #### it and go all out :)

For sand, I really like mine - 'Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink Gravel #2'. It's not actually gravel, the grain size is 1.2-2.0mm. There is only one spot that gets blown around in my 80, but since your tank will be taller than 16" (and a 13" water depth lol) then you shouldn't have any issues with sand of that size.

Fair warning, though, this is by far the dustiest sand I've ever used, and takes some extensive rinsing to get it clean. Once you do, though, it's one of the nicest sands I've seen, nice and white, with actual flecks of pink in it.

Dude, I'd say #### it and go all out :)

It is being considered, I gotta get some cups/ paint cans and whatever else I can think of down there to play around with and see what I can come up with. I think some stuff can get a bit crazy and still look natural tho so maybe I can do a little best of both worlds ;)

For sand, I really like mine - 'Nature's Ocean Samoa Pink Gravel #2'. It's not actually gravel, the grain size is 1.2-2.0mm. There is only one spot that gets blown around in my 80, but since your tank will be taller than 16" (and a 13" water depth lol) then you shouldn't have any issues with sand of that size.

I've never even heard of that stuff before, but I don't normally look at the natures ocean stuff either. I am happy with your suggestion for rock so I will look into it for sure.

Fair warning, though, this is by far the dustiest sand I've ever used, and takes some extensive rinsing to get it clean. Once you do, though, it's one of the nicest sands I've seen, nice and white, with actual flecks of pink in it.

No biggy, dry sand I wash the crap out of ;) I think I have carab seas version of that rock actually, it has little pink/coraline covered pebbles in it.... it looks alright but I kinda don't like it at the same time just wish it was all white, the little specks make me think its dirty or somethin lol

Have you had a chance to get the skimmer shipped yet?

Yeah I am not sure what sand I am going to run yet, I didn't even think of any issues with that really.... damn decisions decisions... :(

Me too, the rock is pretty nice by itself, and I have the stuff Ben linked to make a crazy scape, just not sure how crazy I want to get or if I wanna do something a bit more "natural".... time will tell :D

I used the special grade reef sand from aragalive and I love it now, the diatoms have died down finally and the sand doesn't get blown around a ton and its easy suction it when needed. Honestly I just stir up small sections and let corals eat the crap or it gets sucked to the skimmer.

I used the special grade reef sand from aragalive and I love it now, the diatoms have died down finally and the sand doesn't get blown around a ton and its easy suction it when needed. Honestly I just stir up small sections and let corals eat the crap or it gets sucked to the skimmer.

I've never even stirred my sand, wrasses and snails do the dirty work for me lol

I've never even stirred my sand, wrasses and snails do the dirty work for me lol

try it some time, I have a ton of sand dwellers you would be surprised what comes out

Thought stirring the sand released naughty toxins guess was informed incorrectly

It does, but in small amounts your tank will export them....opposed to being released all at once. No good.

Archived