Top Shelf Aquatics

Chris' 40B

Chris!

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snapped a couple pics real quick the other day of the dogs....

Good ol girl:

DSC_0183_zps887537e7.jpg

The pup that doesn't miss a meal:

DSC_0188_zpsc1c7f93e.jpg

I love food driven dogs, makes them so easy to train, although i find myself saying get out of the kitchen probably more than any other command. yeh thats right my dog knows get out of the kitchen, followed closely by go upstairs.

I love food driven dogs, makes them so easy to train, although i find myself saying get out of the kitchen probably more than any other command. yeh thats right my dog knows get out of the kitchen, followed closely by go upstairs.

She doesn't care about human food at all, my 3.5 yr old drops everything on the floor and she looks at it like ummm that isn't in my bowl so it isn't for me :) The other one, thats a completely different story lol

She doesn't care about human food at all, my 3.5 yr old drops everything on the floor and she looks at it like ummm that isn't in my bowl so it isn't for me :) The other one, thats a completely different story lol

yeh mine started with dog treats, she is a pig and a half now since my 2.5 yr old throws anything he has at her because it amuses him to watch her eat.

that and she eats anything, dog loves grapes, carrots, lettuce, 99% of of foods i don't even like.

yeh mine started with dog treats, she is a pig and a half now since my 2.5 yr old throws anything he has at her because it amuses him to watch her eat.

that and she eats anything, dog loves grapes, carrots, lettuce, 99% of of foods i don't even like.

Yup my boy is the same way, laughs his ass off every time he sneaks her somethin like its the coolest thing in the world :)

Atleast mine is picky, she doesn't eat anything green and even stays away from alot of the more processed foods lol

Aquariums, children, and dogs. Sounds a lot like my household. Ever had your children throw food or toys in your aquarium? Love it when I find action figures amongst the rare corals. Kids like to add their own flare to the systems. Will be following along on your thread.

Aquariums, children, and dogs. Sounds a lot like my household. Ever had your children throw food or toys in your aquarium? Love it when I find action figures amongst the rare corals. Kids like to add their own flare to the systems. Will be following along on your thread.

Thankfully no toys have made their way into the tank.... food covered hands, and knocking the mesh top into the tank plenty of times tho :(

This threads kinda boring from a coral/reef stand point right now as I have alot of other things going on and some big plans in the works..... this tank will either get redone in a few months or entirely replaced.... which reminds me I still havent heard back from reef savvy, they must not be interested in selling a tank :wacko: But thank you for following, I promise it won't always be reef boring around here ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well as some of you know we were planning on moving in the near future, and I was going to upgrade at that time.... Then the wife decided she wants to remodel the house we live in now, so I said ok I am getting a new tank I can't wait anymore. The 40B is a nice size tank but it was only a temp. for me from the start......

I got tired of waiting for Reef Savvy and I figure since MACNA just passed they are probably super busy with a crazy wait time sooooooooooooooooo......

I have decided to order a custom 3 side Starphire 48x30x24" display from Miracles :happydance:

Well as some of you know we were planning on moving in the near future, and I was going to upgrade at that time.... Then the wife decided she wants to remodel the house we live in now, so I said ok I am getting a new tank I can't wait anymore. The 40B is a nice size tank but it was only a temp. for me from the start......

I got tired of waiting for Reef Savvy and I figure since MACNA just passed they are probably super busy with a crazy wait time sooooooooooooooooo......

I have decided to order a custom 3 side Starphire 48x30x24" display from Miracles :happydance:

Thats crazy close to my ideal system, I want a standard 120 at 48x24x24. On something that size I will probably not go rimless and try to do something modern with a hood though, hell saves tons of $$ when you get a rimmed tank vs non. I bought a new tv for my basement today per wifes request and all I could think was, man this costs more than my dream tank.

Thats crazy close to my ideal system, I want a standard 120 at 48x24x24. On something that size I will probably not go rimless and try to do something modern with a hood though, hell saves tons of $$ when you get a rimmed tank vs non. I bought a new tv for my basement today per wifes request and all I could think was, man this costs more than my dream tank.

The 120 is a great tank if you get the chance jump on it you really won't regret the scaping possibilities! I had a 180 (same thing just 2' longer) and it was so much nicer with many more possibilities for scaping then my last 2 18" tanks. I considered going rimless but decided against it since it would be kinda a waste since I keep wrasses and have to run a top, kinda ruins the effect lol I will likely do a floating canopy on this system like I had on my previous 70g, but will probably go with maple construction stained in ebony instead of the natural + white I have now...... or I will build an ADA/ elos/ cad style stand and wrap it in black laminate.

Must be one hell of a TV, I could of bought 3-4 of my 55" plasma LG's for what I am paying for this tank :wacko:

The 120 is a great tank if you get the chance jump on it you really won't regret the scaping possibilities! I had a 180 (same thing just 2' longer) and it was so much nicer with many more possibilities for scaping then my last 2 18" tanks. I considered going rimless but decided against it since it would be kinda a waste since I keep wrasses and have to run a top, kinda ruins the effect lol I will likely do a floating canopy on this system like I had on my previous 70g, but will probably go with maple construction stained in ebony instead of the natural + white I have now...... or I will build an ADA/ elos/ cad style stand and wrap it in black laminate.

Must be one hell of a TV, I could of bought 3-4 of my 55" plasma LG's for what I am paying for this tank :wacko:

Ah I was just referring to the price of a standard aqueon/marineland 120 comes in around 500 at the places around here I have had quoted. The TV is meh, its a smart samsung 55. Nothing exciting although i did look at the 4k's and thought about it for a min as atleast thats something new and cool.

Ah I was just referring to the price of a standard aqueon/marineland 120 comes in around 500 at the places around here I have had quoted. The TV is meh, its a smart samsung 55. Nothing exciting although i did look at the 4k's and thought about it for a min as atleast thats something new and cool.

Really, damn thats not bad at all. If you get a chance to swing it definitely go for it man thats a hell of a tank size for $500ish! The 24" front to back doesn't seem like a big jump or like it would make much difference from 18" but it is crazy how much more aquascaping possibilities it offers.... its crazy better ;)

Oh, yeah I have the LG version of that tv then, I think I paid like $450 for ours.... I looked at the LED ones that were just starting to come out then and they were crazy expensive but the one I grabbed had the best looking picture still :)

Trying to decide what rock to order.........

100 lbs of Marco Rock with 20-40lbs of shelf cuts

150lbs of Reef Cleaners and cut some shit myself

150lbs BRS Pukani or Reef Saver, and again make my own cut pieces

Leaning towards the Marco but figured I'd see if anyone likes something else better :)

Trying to decide what rock to order.........

100 lbs of Marco Rock with 20-40lbs of shelf cuts

150lbs of Reef Cleaners and cut some shit myself

150lbs BRS Pukani or Reef Saver, and again make my own cut pieces

Leaning towards the Marco but figured I'd see if anyone likes something else better :)

...for your tank?

I've always use marco rocks and like them just fine. They're pretty dense though so you may not get as much as you would expect out of a 100 pound box.

1 for all 3 :wacko: you guys are killin me lol From what I have read there really isn't much difference and they may even all be from the same original locations in FL other then the pukani. The Reef Cleaners is the cheapest, but I have heard mixed reviews on his service with rock.... I've heard a ton of good on the Marco which isn't much more, and the Reef Saver is the most expensive and haven't really heard a ton about. I know either way I need to look into what I need and how to do an acid bath!

I know I won't put any live rock at all in the tank/ system I am starting 100% dry. I've never had a problem growing coraline (although I wouldn't be mad if it didn't grow in this tank lol), and it will be seeded with several different bacterias and live sand.... maybe live sand. I am still torn between the shit I've used for years (carab-sea arag-alive or whatever), seachem grey coast, or a reef flakes/ mini-reef flakes mix.

Atleast I have the skimmer already I ordered it like the day my wife decided she wanted to stay here and remodel as I knew an upgrade was pending at that point. It will be a Bubble Magus BM 220.... the big brother to the one I have been using (BM 180A), recommending, and loving for the last yeah n a half. I think it is rated for up to 400g, and it is a super beast. ;)

I've always use marco rocks and like them just fine. They're pretty dense though so you may not get as much as you would expect out of a 100 pound box.

Thats not a horrible issue, it can't be worse then the 100 lbs of fiji brick slab I had in my 180... but I plan for a very open scape with plenty of room for sand corals and wide open spaces around several islands big and small ;)

Reefcleaners, mang.

That whats in your tank??

Nice Ben. Did you request shelf pieces or did he just include them? Roughly how many lbs is that in the last pic that is put together?

Also what did you use to put it all together?

jedimasterben

Nice Ben. Did you request shelf pieces or did he just include them? Roughly how many lbs is that in the last pic that is put together?

I didn't request anything special, those are all 'standard' pieces. I honestly don't know. Maybe ~30lbs?

Also what did you use to put it all together?

Emaco mortar and glue. PM jestersix if you want some of it, he sells small quantities of the mortar, acryl-60 glue, and little buckets and a mixer if you need them. Dude does some crazy stuff, but he uses WAY more mortar than I do, and I thought I used a lot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/J6-jestersix/148706888627577

Here are some of his posts helping me out.

If I am reading you right I think I know where your problem is. These are the steps I take when using Emaco:

1. Mix required amount of Emaco with Acryl 60, it should be a slight "slump" - that is, wet enough that it slides a bit when you mound it up in the mixing container.

2. Wet rock with a mist of RO/Di with just a touch of Acryl 60.

3.Apply wet Emaco mixture between the pieces being joined - then press together. Texture any extra Emaco at the seams, making sure the entire structure joint has solid contact with the Emaco. Emaco should be sticky.

4.Let cure 20 minutes, then check joint for shrinkage - if any, apply a second round of Emaco. This is when I use a small putty knife to work some extra Emaco on the underside of the joint.

5. Cure one hour and it should be solid.

As I read your process, you were dusting with some Emaco powder - that will form a thin "skin" and cause the bond to fail. In that situation, the skin dries FAST, and prevents a solid bondng. You may need some fiberglass in there to help support - but in looking at your original structure, there is no reason it shouldn't hold with Emaco.

As for using Live Rock - I have done tank "remodels" on rock full on anemones and corals (and just live rock as Kat has done). Total out of water time is usually less than an hour - twenty minutes first cure on the Emaco, then twenty to forty minutes before a solid set that can be moved back into the tank. Never lost a coral to date from this process, with the exception of one deep water acro.

Good luck! Feel free to email me at jestersix at gmail dot com if you want some assist while building, it will forward to my cell phone...quicker response than waiting for me to check here.

Easy stuff - Emaco will do the trick - you may need to use a drill and add fiberglass rod if you want to be on the extra safe side... couple of examples just for fun...

This one is approximately 28 inches across - you can pick it up by the branches...

E640719F-6BA3-4FD7-BCAF-920CB022D5C4-953

This is the largest I've done - from base to tip is about 44 inches, stands about 34 inches high

ab055baa.jpg

Not a span, but gives an idea of what can be done...about 38 inches

bf22d82e.jpg

Alright, the new tank is paid for they are going to send me the production diagram tomorrow :) 48L x 30W x 24T 3 sides starphire, black silicone, black background, polished edges, eurobraced........ :)

The skimmer that will be going on this system is here.... Bubble Magus BM220A rated for up to 396g the base is the diameter of a 5g bucket and it is taller then 2 boxes of salt:

IMAG0836_zpsylxcggsl.jpg

Still trying to decide for sure on which rock to go with..... Ben the designer you referred me to suggested Marco rocks for what I wanted to do. I sent him (Marco...) an inquiry about some stuff and still haven't heard back tho so I'm probably going to check with reefcleaners.... I was going to order some clean up crew from him anyways soon.

Archived