Pod Your Reef

Chris' 40B

Chris!

I can't remember for the life of me what brand it was from lowes... but seriously it took more time trying to fix it than it would've just to stain separately. Maybe just my crap wood working skills.

Naw alot of that skip a step stuff is junk or more work then it is really worth. It was probably the minwax stuff thats the only brand I've seen it in.... at HD and Menards but pretty sure Lowes carries it too.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st layer of clear coat laid :) I am probably going to do 3-4 coats, then put it together tomorrow paint the inside of the stand a gloss white its already been primed twice but I like the look of the gloss white better and it will hold up a little more. I will still need to get the top and bottom trim (wanted to get the doors built and installed 1st to make sure I get the right size trim lol) and build + stain/clear the canopy but the stand will be ready for the tank on Monday :)

Skin is stained, cleared and ready to be tacked on tomorrow. I also decided to paint the face of the stand black so any gaps in the doors/trim whatever won't stand out nearly as bad lol

IMAG1027_zpsd1rw5n6e.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing this beast come to life

Thanks me too!! It will be a bit before there is much action with it as I'm starting with all new dry rock and dry sand so I expect a bit of a cycle.... blah I know.... but it will give me time to get everything else finalized, decide on the scape, mortar it together and knock out a couple projects I want to do before anything serious goes into the tank... like gut and redo the kitchen that is going to create a big dust storm cutting out the old tile lol

Damn, mustn't have had my second cup of coffee this morning haha.

Its ok, it is now technically monday here.... 12:06 am LOL

Tank will be here later this afternoon :)

Very nice box of glass Chris ;). I'm usually not a fan of any rim or bracing but that is done right, very clean and looks like it belongs.

My guess would be no. It looks like the foam between the tank and the stand to me.

Ok I see it now. Isn't that foam to thick? Chris the bottom has a plastic rim?

Very nice box of glass Chris ;). I'm usually not a fan of any rim or bracing but that is done right, very clean and looks like it belongs.

I LOVE the clean sexiness of a rimless tank, but due to my love of jumping wrasses I will likely never own a rimless display tank.

But your absolutely right, the eurobrace, looks really good on this tank (and will serve its function of helping secure the mesh top that will be on the tank...) Also they did it right and did the eurobrace in starphire..... Yes I have seen places do it in regular glass on a starphire tank before. :wacko:

My guess would be no. It looks like the foam between the tank and the stand to me.

Correct, its the foam between the tank and the stand.

Ok I see it now. Isn't that foam to thick? Chris the bottom has a plastic rim?

No, it is 5/8" which is what Miracles recommends (and ships with) for their warranty. No foam, no warranty.... with the foam and a couple other simple stipulations I get a 1 yr warranty even with my own stand :)

Yes there is a bottom trim. I wasn't really expecting that although I didn't say not to do it, but it has internal eurobracing at the bottom which the rim covers and my trim will cover the plastic rrim anyway so its all good.

i won't ever own a big tank without a eurobrace, I am paranoid with my 50 lol. love miracles work though going to keep them in mind for when I move.

Also, there is a peace of mind that comes with an overbuilt tank that I find sexier than using the thinnest glass possible on a rimless (aka the marineland 60g cubes lol).

I LOVE the clean sexiness of a rimless tank, but due to my love of jumping wrasses I will likely never own a rimless display tank.

But your absolutely right, the eurobrace, looks really good on this tank (and will serve its function of helping secure the mesh top that will be on the tank...) Also they did it right and did the eurobrace in starphire..... Yes I have seen places do it in regular glass on a starphire tank before. :wacko:

Correct, its the foam between the tank and the stand.

No, it is 5/8" which is what Miracles recommends (and ships with) for their warranty. No foam, no warranty.... with the foam and a couple other simple stipulations I get a 1 yr warranty even with my own stand :)

Yes there is a bottom trim. I wasn't really expecting that although I didn't say not to do it, but it has internal eurobracing at the bottom which the rim covers and my trim will cover the plastic rrim anyway so its all good.

Well it sure is a sexy SOB.

Wow, it sounds really over built! That's probably why Miracles is ok with offering a warranty even if you aren't using their stand. Who says they don't build 'em like they used to?? lol

Archived