Top Shelf Aquatics

Chris' 40B

Chris!

So what are you doing for a sump?? You building that yourself........yes....yes

Yeah, I just did a basic design out of a 40B I picked up last time Petco had their $/g sale. I thought about changing it up a little but this design has worked for me for years so I figure why change it now....

I'll upload a pic later, but it is set up as..... skimmer + drain section, media or cheato section, fuge, return.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love that miracles tank, they do such nice work.

I couldn't agree more, it really is a work of art!

Top down shot of the 40B sump (I might consider cleaning up the silicone a little before doing a side shot LOL), like I said nothin special or fancy but functional. I love the fancy sumps but couldn't find one with a large enough skimmer chamber and didn't feel like dropping a ton on a custom that would never be seen....

IMAG1045_1_zpsvix7ldhu.jpg

14" skimmer chamber, 6" media/chaeto chamber, 10" fuge, and 6" return chamber on the end :)

80lbs is not a puppy, that's still small horse :lol:

Yeah the oldest tries to climb on her back for pony rides all the time.

I am looking at building a sump when it's upgrade time- I'll bounce some ideas off ya when the time comes- think I know what tank I want

I am looking at building a sump when it's upgrade time- I'll bounce some ideas off ya when the time comes- think I know what tank I want

Building a sump IMO is pretty straight forward just gotta figure out the dimensions you want/need and run with it. But I will definitely give ya any help I can man :)

How far out ya thinking you can stretch it on the upgrade before your corals start growing out of the tank? LOL

Building a sump IMO is pretty straight forward just gotta figure out the dimensions you want/need and run with it. But I will definitely give ya any help I can man :)

How far out ya thinking you can stretch it on the upgrade before your corals start growing out of the tank? LOL

Cool! Ya I came down this morning to my green cap - being knocked into a Mille- burned a little spot on him- only one I don't have glued into place cause I am always shifting it around slightly. I'd like to go as long as I can and make this tank crazy full- we will see. Rearrange a little again today - see if that red Mille makes its way home still room to place things higher up- just tougher to do larger W/C's.

Cool! Ya I came down this morning to my green cap - being knocked into a Mille- burned a little spot on him- only one I don't have glued into place cause I am always shifting it around slightly. I'd like to go as long as I can and make this tank crazy full- we will see. Rearrange a little again today - see if that red Mille makes its way home still room to place things higher up- just tougher to do larger W/C's.

Why is it tough to do larger water changes? You can expose the sps for a bit without any real problems.... or start doing more frequent smaller WCs. There is more consistancy/ stability that way as well ;)

Why is it tough to do larger water changes? You can expose the sps for a bit without any real problems.... or start doing more frequent smaller WCs. There is more consistancy/ stability that way as well ;)

Ya- it's the exposure that bothers me- to get a full 5 gal. About 3 corals will be exposed- probably go to 2 - 2 gal. W/C's throughout the week- as you said better for everyone. When the pump shuts off my filter section holds a good 2 gallons?

Some acros go through low tide, I really wouldn't worry to much. They may slime a bit but it won't hurt them. But I really like the smaller frequent WC's, keeps a steady stream of fresh good nutrients coming in and makes swings alot smaller.

jedimasterben

Some acros go through low tide, I really wouldn't worry to much. They may slime a bit but it won't hurt them.

This. Corals don't give a #### about touching air so long as it's not long-term (more than a few hours). They slime to keep themselves moist.

Today was pretty much a wash. Woke up with a light dusting of snow on the ground decided to go back to bed. Woke up and realized it was my nieces birthday so went and spent a good chunk of the day with her. Now of course the kiddos are sleeping so no nailing the trim on the stand tonight. Tomorrow going to work on cleaning up the leaves and clearing out the gutters before we start getting real snow (10 minutes away woke up to enough snow on the ground to make snowmen.... :angry:). Still going to try to knock out the rest of the stand and hopefully get it plumbed tomorrow tho!!!

Today was pretty much a wash. Woke up with a light dusting of snow on the ground decided to go back to bed. Woke up and realized it was my nieces birthday so went and spent a good chunk of the day with her. Now of course the kiddos are sleeping so no nailing the trim on the stand tonight. Tomorrow going to work on cleaning up the leaves and clearing out the gutters before we start getting real snow (10 minutes away woke up to enough snow on the ground to make snowmen.... :angry:). Still going to try to knock out the rest of the stand and hopefully get it plumbed tomorrow tho!!!
The leaves are coming down like a mofo here. Most trees are 60% down I feel they are 2 weeks early.

The leaves are coming down like a mofo here. Most trees are 60% down I feel they are 2 weeks early.

Atleast 2-3 weeks here as well. Both maples that I kept in the front yard haven't lost all their leaves before thanksgiving in probably 7 yrs, there have even been a few years where they retained some through the winter (brown but still hung on somehow).... there are maybe 30-40 leaves between the 2 left as of sundown tonight. The older couple I still mow for have a magnolia that is a late dropper as well, they called me yesterday and said its down whenever you feel like coming out for the final clean up is fine as all theirs and the neighbors trees are down :wacko:

Atleast 2-3 weeks here as well. Both maples that I kept in the front yard haven't lost all their leaves before thanksgiving in probably 7 yrs, there have even been a few years where they retained some through the winter (brown but still hung on somehow).... there are maybe 30-40 leaves between the 2 left as of sundown tonight. The older couple I still mow for have a magnolia that is a late dropper as well, they called me yesterday and said its down whenever you feel like coming out for the final clean up is fine as all theirs and the neighbors trees are down :wacko:

That's nuts the Magnolias are still holding on here. I am kinda ready for Winter this year been a long season.

That's nuts the Magnolias are still holding on here. I am kinda ready for Winter this year been a long season.

Their Magnolia is nuts.... damn thing is atleast 50' tall. I can't remember the name of it but its one that is supposed to top out around 20-30'.... but they have a natural stream running underground through their yard and apparently it tapped in.... It is also always the last to drop in their yard, they planted it like 44 yrs ago when they bought the place and it has been that way ever since :lol:

So what's going on with your build- have you started a new thread- I haven't found it?

No not yet been slacking, and working on other projects around the house.... Went to put all new outlets in around the tank, pulled them and the wiring wasn't done properly/ up to code so had a bit of a bigger project then expected.... nothing new for this house lol. But I got them changed out today and going to get the sump and everything in place tonight for sure, then just gotta wash sand and make water :)

I thought pretty hard about going BB with starboard and while its sexy IMO it wouldn't look right with the eurobrace around the bottom of the tank, and with the planned wrasses sand would be ideal anyways. I'll try to get a pic up tonight or tomorrow with the scape n stuff tho ;) Once the water is in its just a big waiting game for the cycle. Still need to build the canopy too, I have the wood all cut and ready just gotta stain the skin/trim and put it all together lol

Yesterday while putting in the new backdoor my knee gave out again and hasn't stopped throbbing (not that its felt that great since tearing the meniscus like 6 months ago lol). Once all my projects are done (hopefully within the next few weeks-month, other then redoing the kitchen its mostly small stuff left atleast) I am going to go to the doc and try to get them to do the surgery on it, if not I will get a 2nd opinion...... its getting really old and only getting worse! :(

I thought pretty hard about going BB with starboard and while its sexy IMO it wouldn't look right with the eurobrace around the bottom of the tank, and with the planned wrasses sand would be ideal anyways. I'll try to get a pic up tonight or tomorrow with the scape n stuff tho ;) Once the water is in its just a big waiting game for the cycle. Still need to build the canopy too, I have the wood all cut and ready just gotta stain the skin/trim and put it all together lol

I still prefer sand :). Is the use of starboard something that's been done before or is it a Lawnman innovation?

No not yet been slacking, and working on other projects around the house.... Went to put all new outlets in around the tank, pulled them and the wiring wasn't done properly/ up to code so had a bit of a bigger project then expected.... nothing new for this house lol. But I got them changed out today and going to get the sump and everything in place tonight for sure, then just gotta wash sand and make water :)

Yesterday while putting in the new backdoor my knee gave out again and hasn't stopped throbbing (not that its felt that great since tearing the meniscus like 6 months ago lol). Once all my projects are done (hopefully within the next few weeks-month, other then redoing the kitchen its mostly small stuff left atleast) I am going to go to the doc and try to get them to do the surgery on it, if not I will get a 2nd opinion...... its getting really old and only getting worse! :(

Funny- one project leads to another- that sucks about your knee- I tore my meniscus about 8yrs. ago- never had surgery- took about 6 months to really feel better-I can still feel it when I push laterally- but knees are waisted from slamming so much from skating . Man-BB - damn it- wish you would of pulled the trigger- would of made me probably go for it for the next build. I am seriously considering it but I struggle with all the small life forms not being able to adapt- after watching my hermit crabs struggle for hrs. To get anywhere in my quarantine tank when I 1st got my clowns. I put them in there to eat some flake that never got eaten and they struggled horribly- finally just took them out. It's gotta be better for the overall system though not to have accumulating areas under the rock- I don't know - seems pretty unnatural though for fish and other life forms. Someone on here had a thread where they painted the underside of the tank with a texture paint and it actually looked pretty cool- gave the appearance of sand. So I am in New Orleans for 3 days lecturing for work- the wife is a trooper - we FaceTime and she sets the camera up and does the testing and doser while I watch. Dosing has been pretty regular now so I only need her to test KH maybe once while I am gone pretty cool though!

I still prefer sand :). Is the use of starboard something that's been done before or is it a Lawnman innovation?

Have you ever ran a BB- it's killing me- I want someone to say it s the only way to go - or I would never go sand again- having an issue committing to it for a future build ?

Archived