Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chris' 40B

Chris!

Not really, been sick, went and helped my father in law install someone elses kitchen while I wait for the cabinet that the idiots broke and work on a few projects around here before my youngest sons 1st birthday party this weekend.... his B-Day is Wednesday already :wacko:

Well actually kinda.... I can see in the tank again finally the cloud has begun to clear up lol

Since we have the same rock for all intensive purposes there is no organics in the mined rock, did you add anything to start your cycle (NH3, shrimp, urine ect..)

I have some zeobak to give it a culture, not sure if I should add some food for the bacteria also

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we have the same rock for all intensive purposes there is no organics in the mined rock, did you add anything to start your cycle (NH3, shrimp, urine ect..)

I have been adding Microbacter7, I am also running EcoBak plus biopellets and added the Spark liquid stuff that came with that as well..... Then to top it off I have been adding HUGE chunks of an old DIY food daily. When I say huge I mean like 4 times the size I used to feed my 180 when I had 22 fish with 4 or 5 being 5"+ lol

I have some zeobak to give it a culture, not sure if I should add some food for the bacteria also

I don't see how it would hurt anything.

I have been adding Microbacter7, I am also running EcoBak plus biopellets and added the Spark liquid stuff that came with that as well..... Then to top it off I have been adding HUGE chunks of an old DIY food daily. When I say huge I mean like 4 times the size I used to feed my 180 when I had 22 fish with 4 or 5 being 5"+ lol

I don't see how it would hurt anything.

I see bacteria and food, check.

Yeah thats what I am doing anyways.... I've always used live rock in the past tho so this is my 1st time doing a "real cycle" (although I've always started with MB7 since it came out...) as I've always had very small cycles in the past.

I really like this build man. I like the PVC light hanger too, that was my first option on mine too but I quickly realized my light is a bit more heavy than a single radion.

Naw the 40 was just a temp bs tank never did anything with it really lol I just set it up to get the fish and one or two remaining corals out of the rubbermaid in my extra bedroom. It did look good tho, other then the bow in the front glass which scared the shit outta me after my 70 blew a seam.... I never did anything with it after that and didn't swap it out cuz we were talking about moving out of state and I didn't wanna set up anything just to move it.... then the wife decided to stay here and just remodel :wacko:

I'm actually setting up a custom 3 sides starphire 48x30x24 from Miracles now.

Had a little time and figured its been a while so I went down to get some new shots, of course the battery died since I didn't charge it after shooting a ton a few weeks ago w/ the fam..... but I got a couple decent shots:

Cut these guys about a month ago, pics under 12-14k w/ flash:

This one came in more purple w/ blue streaks (red was present, just not as much) and yellowish/green eyes..... Brewing under blue heavy lights and alot of feedings its developing red in the body quite nicely :wub:

DSC_1107_zps563b6e9f.jpg

This one just keeps getting better and bettter, although I wanna try to pull the pinks back out of it more!

DSC_1123_zpsf14f8f8e.jpg

Not to get off topic again, but I picked up some organic rice milk over the weekend. It's my new favorite :). Your son might like it!

Thanks for the tip Gena!! What brand do you prefer? I know they all have their own little twist/ flavoring so figure start with what you like and go from there :)

Cool pics - your LPS are looking great- hey just saw you threw out a nomination for me for TOTM- that's really cool Chris- appreciate you and everyone else that was thinking of my tank- thank you. Just got back into town tonight- ck'd the tank and my reactor pump was not running came in said my hello to the wife and doggies and ripped the reactor apart- running GFO AND carbon - I think I had to many sponges separating out so I really put to much back pressure on the mini pump. Changed put media and took out 2 of the sponges and its flowing now. Thanks again man!

Cool pics - your LPS are looking great

Thanks man, some of them are still trying to settle in but theres a few gems that are almost done being polished :)

-hey just saw you threw out a nomination for me for TOTM- that's really cool Chris- appreciate you and everyone else that was thinking of my tank- thank you.

No thanks needed man, you did/ are doing the hard part, the nomination was easy! Thank you for having a sweet tank worth nominating! ;)

Just got back into town tonight- ck'd the tank and my reactor pump was not running came in said my hello to the wife and doggies and ripped the reactor apart- running GFO AND carbon - I think I had to many sponges separating out so I really put to much back pressure on the mini pump. Changed put media and took out 2 of the sponges and its flowing now. Thanks again man!

Man that sucks, everything looking ok still atleast?

Ya everyone is doing fine- my wife keep the dosing going perfect. I was only gone for 2 days so maybe it was off for only a day. Such a little pump- can't handle much back pressure. It was nice to get some California sun shine- we're back into mid 40's so not to bad!

Oh yeah, nothing major just trying to find happy spots and optimal coloration. It can be hard to find a low enough light spot in a tank with only 10" of water.... and low enough flow yet high enough flow to not cause dead spots lol

Ya everyone is doing fine- my wife keep the dosing going perfect. I was only gone for 2 days so maybe it was off for only a day. Such a little pump- can't handle much back pressure. It was nice to get some California sun shine- we're back into mid 40's so not to bad!

Thats good man glad to hear everything is good :) Thats awesome that the Mrs is a trooper and will take care of things while you're gone! Lucky, its COOOLD, snowing right now and I don't like it. 41 on saturday 46 sunday.... its pathetic I am looking forward to that so early in the year, well below average :(

Thanks for the tip Gena!! What brand do you prefer? I know they all have their own little twist/ flavoring so figure start with what you like and go from there :)

The one I liked is from Whole Foods. It's the 365 brand. It's tolerable to drink from a glass :lol:.

This one just keeps getting better and bettter, although I wanna try to pull the pinks back out of it more!

DSC_1123_zpsf14f8f8e.jpg

This coral is mesmerizing! Reminds me of those videos you see of the human brain and the neurons firing through the brain. So cool!!!!!

The one I liked is from Whole Foods. It's the 365 brand. It's tolerable to drink from a glass :lol:.

Ok cool next time we go down there I will grab some to see how he likes it :) Thanks again I really appreciate it, its hard finding decent non-dairy items that are typically dairy :(

This coral is mesmerizing! Reminds me of those videos you see of the human brain and the neurons firing through the brain. So cool!!!!!

Thank you! Wow after watching a video on neurons firing I definitely see how it could remind you of that, might be a fitting name :)

That is a sick piece, thank you for convincing me to get reef saver rocks, I could not be any happier!

Thanks man! The mother colony and a couple of the smaller frags are developing orange/gold streaks as well. :D

Glad to hear you like the Reef Saver rock, its definitely easier and better to work with IMO then fiji bricks ;) I definitely enjoy the look and lack of weight for what I got with mine (from reef cleaners but same thing really...). Heck the wife told me today she thinks I have to much rock in the tank now... I only have 100lbs, but I kinda agree with her.... might rescape soon :wacko:

How bout a FTS of the tank with all those LPS in it

The dt is still empty, just some rock. Started everything dry so been planning a longer cycle, probably won't add anything for atleast a couple weeks while I wait out the cycle and for all the bacterias to do their thing. Then I will toss in a couple things see how they go for a little while before putting much else in.....

Here is a pic I took earlier real quick tho:

IMAG1073_1_zpshupjekuj.jpg

Sorry about all the glares and overall crap pic, took it more for myself to look at the angles and see how it photos after the talk about possibly to much rock with the wife lol

The dt is still empty, just some rock. Started everything dry so been planning a longer cycle, probably won't add anything for atleast a couple weeks while I wait out the cycle and for all the bacterias to do their thing. Then I will toss in a couple things see how they go for a little while before putting much else in.....

Here is a pic I took earlier real quick tho:

IMAG1073_1_zpshupjekuj.jpg

Sorry about all the glares and overall crap pic, took it more for myself to look at the angles and see how it photos after the talk about possibly to much rock with the wife lol

I knew I shoulda went bigger! You warned me! Hahaha

Ok cool next time we go down there I will grab some to see how he likes it :) Thanks again I really appreciate it, its hard finding decent non-dairy items that are typically dairy

I found one I like even better!!! This was at the regular grocery store. It's by Rice Dream. It's the "original" and it's Organic/no GMO. You should be able to find it at your mainstream grocery store :).

I knew I shoulda went bigger! You warned me! Hahaha

Tell your wife I said I'm sorry LOL The 30" front to back is crazy nice tho :)

I found one I like even better!!! This was at the regular grocery store. It's by Rice Dream. It's the "original" and it's Organic/no GMO. You should be able to find it at your mainstream grocery store :).

Sweet I've seen that one several times in a couple stores around here and thought about it but wasn't sure if it was worth trying figure go through the almonds 1st. I wish we could find the dairy free ranch he likes locally, that and the almond cheese, then I wouldn't need to make another trip to whole foods this week (kid is a ranch fiend LOL).

Tell your wife I said I'm sorry LOL The 30" front to back is crazy nice tho :)

Sweet I've seen that one several times in a couple stores around here and thought about it but wasn't sure if it was worth trying figure go through the almonds 1st. I wish we could find the dairy free ranch he likes locally, that and the almond cheese, then I wouldn't need to make another trip to whole foods this week (kid is a ranch fiend LOL).

Haha right now it's a convo about another light and a bigger skimmer. Both legitimate needs though.

Haha right now it's a convo about another light and a bigger skimmer. Both legitimate needs though.

Definitely good things to have lol Have you already decided on which ones to get? I really like the Bubble Magus skimmers ;)

Definitely good things to have lol Have you already decided on which ones to get? I really like the Bubble Magus skimmers ;)

I looked at these I do like em. I have a good bit of space in the second part of my filtration section but beings I have my heater and return pumps I may need one that hangs.

The light will be another razor nano,price is good and I have one already two would be perfect.

I looked at these I do like em. I have a good bit of space in the second part of my filtration section but beings I have my heater and return pumps I may need one that hangs. The light will be another razor nano,price is good and I have one already two would be perfect.

A hang on kills one of the big joys of having a sump so that sucks if you have to go that route man. :( If it helps free up some space I like to attach my heaters a baffle (obviously not the one inside the return section incase water level drops for some reason...) If you go with a cone skimmer it won't interfere at all and can be in the same section... Also, return pump shouldn't be in the skimmer section ever so that shouldn't interfere with skimmer room. :)

Archived