inTank Media Baskets

Chris' 40B

Chris!

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the middle bridge needs to go. I like the left side, but that right side tower is lacking something.

Yeah the bridge piece needs to go, just that piece tho. The other two sections are permanently attatched and I am happy with their structures. The right side is definitely lacking something, just not sure what to do with it..... I'm gonna play around with it a bit later and see what I can come up with. If not I am going to go get some stuff today and start breaking rock and reforming it....

This thing still isn't running?! What are you waiting for!! :lol: I actually think the whole left side is awesome. I happen to like arches though

Next week we are finally ripping out the kitchen (the replacement cabinet finally came in today from the one they broke), when I cut out the old bathroom tile floor it spread nasty dust all over the house, the kitchen is closer and like 10x the size of the bathroom.... and I went old school and am just letting the cycle run its course with all dry rock and sand. Then theres the whole I still need to build my canopy and decide how I want to hang it LOL

Yeah the left side is great I am totally pleased with that. The middle section is hard to see the depth of in the pics so far but I am pretty happy there as well.... but that right side... :furious:

IMAG1086_zpsntsyxnvs.jpg

FTS as of 45 seconds ago LOL

Still not 100% liking it, definitely don't love it. The piece connecting the 2 islands needs to go for sure but other then that not sure.....

What about making a similar structure on the right side as that on the left. No middle bridge. And then with leftover rock make a third island in the center or off-set right or left? Just a thought. I like pillars but they seems like they don't leave much space for coral attachment. There's too much shading over time with growth.

What about making a similar structure on the right side as that on the left.

That is the likely plan if my next move doesn't work out.

No middle bridge.

Yeah I didn't really care for that piece once I placed it but figured I'd leave it for a day or two and see if it looked any better.... it hasn't so will definitely go. The bridge is only one piece anyway.

And then with leftover rock make a third island in the center or off-set right or left? Just a thought. I like pillars but they seems like they don't leave much space for coral attachment. There's too much shading over time with growth.

There are actually 2 structures already, the left one and the middle one (that has the bridge piece which is the highest piece on that 1/2 of the tank "connecting the two". I will probably end up building a similar structure to the left "island/ overhang" keep the one in the middle and the remaining rocks if there are any will become smaller island/patches around the tank or get busted up and added to the sump because 15lbs of rubble might not be enough :lol:

The pillar on the left has more depth to it then the pic shows and there is alot of room for coral placement with the proper types and placing them accordingly.... I'm just not thrilled with the section tho. Not really sure why just don't like it as much as I hoped :(

That is the likely plan if my next move doesn't work out.

Yeah I didn't really care for that piece once I placed it but figured I'd leave it for a day or two and see if it looked any better.... it hasn't so will definitely go. The bridge is only one piece anyway.

There are actually 2 structures already, the left one and the middle one (that has the bridge piece which is the highest piece on that 1/2 of the tank "connecting the two". I will probably end up building a similar structure to the left "island/ overhang" keep the one in the middle and the remaining rocks if there are any will become smaller island/patches around the tank or get busted up and added to the sump because 15lbs of rubble might not be enough :lol:

The pillar on the left has more depth to it then the pic shows and there is alot of room for coral placement with the proper types and placing them accordingly.... I'm just not thrilled with the section tho. Not really sure why just don't like it as much as I hoped :(

could always crush it up and make a big ass pile like yours truly, haha

Is the structure in the middle free-standing or is it resting on the left island/overhang?

Free standing, they are 2 completely separate sections... just currently have the lone high piece "connecting" them but that piece isn't anything permanent :)

could always crush it up and make a big ass pile like yours truly, haha

If I had tonga I would probably just toss it in and let it lie where it falls and get a nice scape, but I don't like the chunky rock walls and thats what it'd be with this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the rock, just not the right side of my scape lol

Free standing, they are 2 completely separate sections... just currently have the lone high piece "connecting" them but that piece isn't anything permanent :)

If I had tonga I would probably just toss it in and let it lie where it falls and get a nice scape, but I don't like the chunky rock walls and thats what it'd be with this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the rock, just not the right side of my scape lol

I got rather mathematical with how I laid mine out actually and I think it turned out pretty well balanced, if you are worried about balance sketch some stuff on graph paper and make sure the ratios of height and length and negative to positive are all at around 2/3rds. It's not the golden ratio but its close enough for an aquarium lol.

I got rather mathematical with how I laid mine out actually and I think it turned out pretty well balanced, if you are worried about balance sketch some stuff on graph paper and make sure the ratios of height and length and negative to positive are all at around 2/3rds. It's not the golden ratio but its close enough for an aquarium lol.

Yeah I know, you did one hell of a job with your scape :) I actually remember you talking about how you figured it up mathematically. I have a vision in my head of how I want it, I just haven't been able to fully create it yet... I've never had this much trouble getting my scape how I wanted it and usually dont change it once its set :wacko:

Yeah I know, you did one hell of a job with your scape :) I actually remember you talking about how you figured it up mathematically. I have a vision in my head of how I want it, I just haven't been able to fully create it yet... I've never had this much trouble getting my scape how I wanted it and usually dont change it once its set :wacko:

You ended up with a great tank to scape in I don't blame you one bit for not being satisfied with the first attempt. I just suggest taking what you like from it and adjusting what you don't to compliment what it is you like. I actually have a crazy scape in mind for when I move and rebuild in a larger footprint.

You ended up with a great tank to scape in I don't blame you one bit for not being satisfied with the first attempt. I just suggest taking what you like from it and adjusting what you don't to compliment what it is you like. I actually have a crazy scape in mind for when I move and rebuild in a larger footprint.

Yeah I really like both sections that are cemented together. I just laid them out and went to town on each one individually so thats probably what I need to do with the 3rd one... I actually have 2 different thiings I am going to give a shot before I do something permanent tho... we'll see LOL

Polarcollision

+1

I'll just add that they will still flash without a female just not as often w/o a female or other males typically, and if you really want them to flash add multiple males of different species.

My male MCCosker flashes at the TSB and also when he eats, but his colors are no longer 'super' male. No luck getting female flashers, so you got me thinking about a carpenter's male again. Tank is 36" long with lots of nooks and hiding places. I thought it might be pushing it, but since you've kept them together I'd love your feedback.

My male MCCosker flashes at the TSB and also when he eats, but his colors are no longer 'super' male. No luck getting female flashers, so you got me thinking about a carpenter's male again. Tank is 36" long with lots of nooks and hiding places. I thought it might be pushing it, but since you've kept them together I'd love your feedback.

I've lurked on your thread before, and just checked it out again (very nice BTW :)) you have enough going on and hiding places that it should be fine IMO. Its best to add them together but can certainly be done separately.....

One thing I have found that works really good for me when adding new fish was to always turn the lights off the day I am adding fish (and not let them come on). Add the fish in, and observe from a distance (like 5+') and don't go any closer, I also don't feed (I know sounds kinda weird right...) that day or will feed earlier in the day if the majority of fish are out.... but most fish will stay in more of a sleep mode and not be so active and interested in the new addition. Then I turn the lights on the next day like normal and everyone "wakes up together" and its not so bad. IME this has worked way more often then not, even when I had some fairly aggressive fish that would tear new additions in half for fun if I didn't add them this way ;)

Did a little rescaping, like it much better but not 100% sure yet, but definitely heading more in the direction I wanted and like it the most so far. Figure I'd throw up a few more angles too....

Looking down the length of the tank from the dining area:

IMAG1088_zpskjzakwif.jpg

FTS style:

IMAG1091_zpseb9gmmnm.jpg

And a few extra shots to show spacing between "islands":

IMAG1092_zpsitbvhuem.jpg

IMAG1090_zpsgoz8qbgx.jpg

IMAG1089_zpsrdpazlma.jpg

Alright- your finally giving up some good pics?. I think that's some good placement- lots of really good pockets for coral and good water flow- still think It's an obvious SPS tank ?

Alright- your finally giving up some good pics.

Thanks man, I haven't been happy enough with the scape to really show much, and obviously right now theres not really much else to show anyway. I like the scape right now, we will see in a few days of looking at it and probably making small tweeks.

I think that's some good placement- lots of really good pockets for coral and good water flow

Thanks man, definitely liking it the most so far. I don't think I am going to mess with it much but might make a few small tweeks here and there on the right side and the 2 smaller single rock islands. It is definitely pretty open flow wise. Food stays suspended in the water column for hours, even with about 1200gph going through the overflow lol

still think It's an obvious SPS tank

The bottom will be LPS dominated :lol:Eventually the tops will be covered in acros tho.

Ha! I knew they (sps)had to be in there somewhere- this tank is going to be awesome

Yeah eventually I will find some I actually like again I'm sure, although lately I haven't even looked much.

Yeah eventually I will find some I actually like again I'm sure, although lately I haven't even looked much.

Ya- my lfs still hasn't mounted the red Mille's yet they are one colony right now- I'll see this weekend

Ya- my lfs still hasn't mounted the red Mille's yet they are one colony right now- I'll see this weekend

Wow I figured you woulda had a couple pieces of it grown out by now LOL I wonder why he hasn't cut it yet since he said he was going to like a month ago. Hopefully he hasn't found anymore bugs on it, and hes just waiting for you to come get the 1st frags lol

Wow I figured you woulda had a couple pieces of it grown out by now LOL I wonder why he hasn't cut it yet since he said he was going to like a month ago. Hopefully he hasn't found anymore bugs on it, and hes just waiting for you to come get the 1st frags lol

I beat him up pretty bad last weekend about it?. He's just been busy with a few frag shows and such . Their still sitting there coloring up good- but I am in no hurry- I've got everyone in a decent place right now and I need to snap a few more branched this weekend .

My only suggestion would be to go higher on the left or right and lower on the opposing side, just because it forces the eye to move instead of stare straight at the lateral line the top of the scape developed by having all the rock work reach about the same height.

I beat him up pretty bad last weekend about it. He's just been busy with a few frag shows and such . Their still sitting there coloring up good- but I am in no hurry- I've got everyone in a decent place right now and I need to snap a few more branched this weekend .

Yeah its that time of year where they start getting busy for sure! You should start working on planning that upgrade this weekend, you need the room!

My only suggestion would be to go higher on the left or right and lower on the opposing side, just because it forces the eye to move instead of stare straight at the lateral line the top of the scape developed by having all the rock work reach about the same height.

Yeah I know and thats the one thing I am considering changing up if I do.... but at the same time I don't really want to change it up because I like the overall look the most and the wife said she liked it best out of everything as well.... over time it will work itself out with coral growth and height so it will probably be ok really... but I definitely haven't ruled it out either ;)

FWIW its hard to see in the pics, but IRL the depth kind of makes you look around more anyways even with just the plain rock so it does help a bit more then in the pics. :wacko:

Yeah its that time of year where they start getting busy for sure! You should start working on planning that upgrade this weekend, you need the room!

Yeah I know and thats the one thing I am considering changing up if I do.... but at the same time I don't really want to change it up because I like the overall look the most and the wife said she liked it best out of everything as well.... over time it will work itself out with coral growth and height so it will probably be ok really... but I definitely haven't ruled it out either ;)

FWIW its hard to see in the pics, but IRL the depth kind of makes you look around more anyways even with just the plain rock so it does help a bit more then in the pics. :wacko:

Shoot a pic with a really wide angle lens up close so we can get a sense of depth then lol. Also, just put some absurdly tall growing leather or a giant frogspawn colony in the top right or left and something small on the other side to give the same effect.

Also the middle foreground is begging for a bigass blue or red carpet nem lol.

Polarcollision

Scape is looking really good. I like all the swimming channels and places for coral to grow out of. Overall very natural feel. The only thing that breaks that feel is the far right, middle rock. Something about it looks unfinished. Maybe the 'line' it points out seems overly horizontal where all the other shapes flow.

I've lurked on your thread before, and just checked it out again (very nice BTW :)) you have enough going on and hiding places that it should be fine IMO. Its best to add them together but can certainly be done separately.....

One thing I have found that works really good for me when adding new fish was to always turn the lights off the day I am adding fish (and not let them come on). Add the fish in, and observe from a distance (like 5+') and don't go any closer, I also don't feed (I know sounds kinda weird right...) that day or will feed earlier in the day if the majority of fish are out.... but most fish will stay in more of a sleep mode and not be so active and interested in the new addition. Then I turn the lights on the next day like normal and everyone "wakes up together" and its not so bad. IME this has worked way more often then not, even when I had some fairly aggressive fish that would tear new additions in half for fun if I didn't add them this way ;)

All sounds pretty good to me. One last what-if for you to weigh in on. Do you think the two flashers could get along if the clowns confined them to the left 24" of swim space? I worry the flashers might not share the space well or transfer the aggression to the tailspot blenny. My backup thought is the smallest leopard wrasse if another flasher isn't going to work.

Archived