Coral Vue Hydros

Chad's Long and Low 12g

Chadf

I'm going lights out until it's gone too. Did my normal weekly water change yesterday and am doing another bigger one tomorrow. If the crap is still alive come the weekend I'll be peroxiding the crap out of it again. It's nice not having corals to worry about.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sorry you've had troubles with the tank Chad. I didn't have hair algae issues but I did have some really thick nasty brown stuff from my Pukani for the first few months, even after I acid washed it.

I think the 1st year really tests the patience of dealing with growing pains. If you can handle the crap in the beginning then you can get rewarded later with a beautiful display.

Eh, she'll clear up, give her time :)

I know, just showing off my awesomeness. About to change 8 gallons :)

Im sorry you've had troubles with the tank Chad. I didn't have hair algae issues but I did have some really thick nasty brown stuff from my Pukani for the first few months, even after I acid washed it.

I think the 1st year really tests the patience of dealing with growing pains. If you can handle the crap in the beginning then you can get rewarded later with a beautiful display.

It'll pass, I know. This is the 5th sw tank I've started after all. I guess I just got used to my last tank being so mature, couldn't grow algae if I tried.

This tank will be legen.....wait for it......maybe a...few months...or so.....later....

dary.

The algae is a lot better but still there. I'm going to peroxide again this weekend but scrub the rocks this time. The water is pretty clear now too, the tanks actually looking a lot better. I think I'm going to get some more crabs and Mexican turbos, probably just get them from LA and a fish to meet the minimum order. :)

Thin Striped hermit. Just as good as a tang at eating algae IMO, but they get big and love to knock things around.

When my little 20 went through the hair stage I dropped my big one in and it vanished in a day (there's a joke here somewhere) Since then scarlet hermits have been keeping it clean and they don't seem to kill snails. The always recommended blue legged hermits are complete crap and the little shits love to kill snails. I really don't see why they are recommended so much when they don't seem to do anything except eat the same algae everything else eats and ignore the hair algae.

Thin stripes will kill turbo snails on site, but they do not touch Trochus.

The algae is totally gone, I never even touched it again after the first nuke. The crabs must've finished it off :)

wow.such.chris

I had the same problem, massive gha bloom. I blamed the dry rock and maybe the foam from my rock wall. After 9 mo it's finally clearing up. I used peroxide once, went over well but the caul astrea I have ditched all its fluorescent green pigment. Use it now while ya don't have to be so careful.

Keep it up man, patience is a virtue in this hobby. I know you know that but it's nice to have some words of encouragement during the worst part of reefing. Loving your old light by the way, thanks again.

Cameron6796

Be careful I nuked my tank a few days ago and lost some fish its FW so I was surprised I lost them

• 2 weeks later...
Did ya get anything? Picked up a crocea myself at my lfs Memorial Day sale.

No :(

I got all ####ed up and forgot all about the 9 items I was watching, my high bid I was going with would've won every one :(

• 2 weeks later...
That's it, change the title to long and slow.
Too broke for coral right now :(

Zia and lawn should send me some, for free :D

Still a blank slate with ugly dry rock.

imagejpg1-2.jpg

Thats a pretty blank slate with crystal clear water and zero algae, F ya!

Too broke for coral right now :(Zia and lawn should send me some, for free :D
Sorry to hear about your ribs bro. You need to do some BTA's in that biotch.

Thats a pretty blank slate with crystal clear water and zero algae, F ya!

I'm still growing some gha and I just cleaned the glass earlier, it'll be dirty tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your ribs bro. You need to do some BTA's in that biotch.

I agree!

Archived