Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chad's Long and Low 12g

Chadf

Is your skimmer still acting up? Mine will do nothing for a day and then all of a sudden fill up with water.

No actually it finally settled down and has been working pretty decent...... it took it quite a while tho but thats pretty much what it was doing except everyday. It would be bubbling low for hours, but I would just leave it alone and check back in like 20 minutes and the cup would be overflowing. I still don't get it but I hope it don't start acting up when I clean the neck out soon lol It does still bubble low for periods of time, but it doesn't overflow anymore atleast.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's enough room between the rock on the right and the front glass I would put your euphyllia over there. You could mount it on the part that is bright, next to the area that is shaded in the pic. Then you could have your z's and p's above that, and if you want to pack that beast with coral on every square inch you could do something NPS on the bottom, like dendros or something. That middle rock, IMO, looks like a great candidate for a ric island. The left rtock would look sweet with some favias. As common as they are, a war coral would look good over there along with a few other to encrust the rock. Some photosynthetic gorgs would look good over there too. On the same rock (the one on the left) where it has that little ledge you could, dare I say it....put a little birdsnest frag. I would go with a BOP because they have great color, growth form, and are bullet proof. Through all that my colony has been through it has never shown any sign of decline, and it's been through some shit!!

There ya go, my plans for your tank, lol. Oh, and a couple of plate corals would be cool too.

With everything I just described you would have insane color and likely have another TOTM before the end of the year.

Thanks for the input, can't wait to buy some coral from you. Definitely no room for the euphyllia on the front of that rock, only 8" depth in these things and I left room behind the rock to keep the back clean. Probably going to buy another fish and a small cuc next. I say 2-3 weeks I'll be buying some coral.

Thanks for the input, can't wait to buy some coral from you. Probably going to buy another fish and a small cuc next. I say 2-3 weeks I'll be buying some coral.

I'll be ready whenever you are. If there's anything in particular that you want let me know and I'll get it for you. The sooner the better though, I can get basically anything, but not anytime. Some weeks I have access to a lot of SPS, some weeks alot of LPS, etc.. I can order now if necessary and just hold on to whatever it may be until you're ready. That way you won't have to wait until whatever you may want becomes available again.

That works too. It's just that they grow and expand big and I was thinking that over on the right rock that wouldn't make it look "out of place". If you put it on the left rock I would still go with something grows vertically, at least sporadically on the rest of the rock so that it doesn't stick out too much. If that makes sense...Basically the same concept would apply if you were to put some sort of branching coral in that spot like I suggested with the BOP.

I'll be ready whenever you are. If there's anything in particular that you want let me know and I'll get it for you. The sooner the better though, I can get basically anything, but not anytime. Some weeks I have access to a lot of SPS, some weeks alot of LPS, etc.. I can order now if necessary and just hold on to whatever it may be until you're ready. That way you won't have to wait until whatever you may want becomes available again.

I want a super bright euphylia with a unique color about it. Open to different types but partial to frogspawn and torches, hammer would be ok if the colors are worth it.

Going to wait on nice plays so I don't melt them.

The florida rics will go in first. I was really happy with the pack I got on eBay last time, even got a super sweet yellow one. One of those sellers that basically just grow the crap out of rics.

I want a super bright euphylia with a unique color about it. Open to different types but partial to frogspawn and torches, hammer would be ok if the colors are worth it.

Going to wait on nice plays so I don't melt them.

We think alike. I was just going to suggest that you go with a euphyllia as your main center piece. That said, I would hold out for a really nice orange hammer. If you haven't seen one in person you should. Those are one coral that I truly believe is worth all of the hype. Frogspawn are cool, and so are torches, but IMHO, neither can touch a nice orange hammer. Those things just glow man, and the tone of orange that they are is rarely seen in any other corals.

Granted, they don't come cheap but it will be well worth it. Everything else that you were thinking about, and that I suggested can be had pretty cheap, even for nice stuff. So splurging on one nice main attraction coral won't hurt the wallet as much.

We think alike. I was just going to suggest that you go with a euphyllia as your main center piece. That said, I would hold out for a really nice orange hammer. If you haven't seen one in person you should. Those are one coral that I truly believe is worth all of the hype. Frogspawn are cool, and so are torches, but IMHO, neither can touch a nice orange hammer. Those things just glow man, and the tone of orange that they are is rarely seen in any other corals.

Granted, they don't come cheap but it will be well worth it. Everything else that you were thinking about, and that I suggested can be had pretty cheap, even for nice stuff. So splurging on one nice main attraction coral won't hurt the wallet as much.

PM me when you find one :)

Will do. PM me if you think of anything else that isn't all that common. I haven't seen any orange hammers available for a couple of months now so they should be showing up again sometime soon.

If there's enough room between the rock on the right and the front glass I would put your euphyllia over there. You could mount it on the part that is bright, next to the area that is shaded in the pic. Then you could have your z's and p's above that, and if you want to pack that beast with coral on every square inch you could do something NPS on the bottom, like dendros or something. That middle rock, IMO, looks like a great candidate for a ric island. The left rtock would look sweet with some favias. As common as they are, a war coral would look good over there along with a few other to encrust the rock. Some photosynthetic gorgs would look good over there too. On the same rock (the one on the left) where it has that little ledge you could, dare I say it....put a little birdsnest frag. I would go with a BOP because they have great color, growth form, and are bullet proof. Through all that my colony has been through it has never shown any sign of decline, and it's been through some shit!!

There ya go, my plans for your tank, lol. Oh, and a couple of plate corals would be cool too.

With everything I just described you would have insane color and likely have another TOTM before the end of the year.

A nice scoly or acanthophyllia would look damn good between the left and middle islands as well IMO, or a sick rainbow wall hammer ;)

What about the euphyllia on the right side of the left rock?

Golden torch on on the back of the middle rock with the rics all around it...... mmmmm :)

One of the LFS by me has an orange hammer like Glenn is mentioning. Gold torch and orange frogspawn don't even come close to this thing it looks amazing but they won't sell it. I agree with your right side of the left rock positioning.

Tony

One of the LFS by me has an orange hammer like Glenn is mentioning. Gold torch and orange frogspawn don't even come close to this thing it looks amazing but they won't sell it. I agree with your right side of the left rock positioning.

Tony

I'll try to get a gold torch and an orange hammer on my next order. You're right, a gold torch is nice, but isn't anywhere near as nice as an orange hammer. If I can get both I'll post up a pic of the two of them together.

Cameron6796

^^^ this do a euphylia island on that vertical rock or bta

Edit: awkward lol I jumped the gun and didn't read all the posts, but definetly lots of euphylia somewhere and bubble tips and that BOP he was talkin bout sounds good,

JMO vert should be montis and zoas toawrds the top, lps down low and euphies and trachys/similar surrounding it. Middle should be ric dominated, left should be zoa/mushie/softies dominant.

Looks beast!

What kind of coral should I cover the vertical rock with? I'm wanting a z/p island, ricordea island, a euphyllia, and maybe a bta. Any placement opinions?image-169.jpg

I'd cover that bottom base in rics and them spread. Mine seem to do well in indirect light. Tank looks great, like the lighting.

I'd cover that bottom base in rics and them spread. Mine seem to do well in indirect light. Tank looks great, like the lighting.

I was kind of thinking rics would be best, I'm gonna cover the whole rock with them.

image-181.jpg

Couldn't meet the minimum order for reefcleaners, so I bought the same type of chromis I had in my last tank and some cleaners.

Hey lawn, the pink and golds are still kicking. The other ones never opened.

Those other ones are stubborn mofos. Any new polyps on the pink and golds? I have to be 1 of the only people that does not like RC snails lmao. I like to hand pick my snails like you just did. Love me some Trochus snails.
Those other ones are stubborn mofos. Any new polyps on the pink and golds? I have to be 1 of the only people that does not like RC snails lmao. I like to hand pick my snails like you just did. Love me some Trochus snails.

Not sure, I haven't paid much attention to them. I think there's the one big polyp and like 5 babies.

Not sure, I haven't paid much attention to them. I think there's the one big polyp and like 5 babies.
Well pay attention to them and talk to them they grow faster.

Archived