Cultivated Reef

Arce's Tank

Arce

Ok.. so these are my options..

1. upgrade, new rock, cut everything either with a dremel or whatever.

2. upgrade, use the same scape, add rock as i have been doing to make the scape "work".

3. Dont upgrade, ride this tank out and wait for a future upgrade.

• Like 1

Ok.. so these are my options..

1. upgrade, new rock, cut everything either with a dremel or whatever.

2. upgrade, use the same scape, add rock as i have been doing to make the scape "work".

3. Dont upgrade, ride this tank out and wait for a future upgrade.

Ride it out.

I say let it grow in. Nothing looks cooler than tanks where everything is growing into eachother. Just my opinion. :)

+1

Ride it out.

Err ok, ill try to ride it out. Need to look into some alternatives for space to mount some coral since im running out of room. Might buy some magnets and make my own wall rock thingy.

In other news. Im thinking about raising my alk. I usually run around 7, but im thinking about trying it around 8 for awhile and see how things respond. Haven't decided quite yet.

I honestly don't think you'll see much of a difference from going from 7-8. going up to 9-10ish maybe.

my retired frag tank of yesteryear which grew everything from under the sun and colored up brownies in weeks had an alk off 10-11 and cal of 500.

never meant for that to happen but my doser at the time, was dosing more than i expected.. error on my part but i had so many sps that everything leveled off to those numbers.

everything grew great and colors were amazing...then my chiller broke during that 2012 heat wave while i was away for 4 days. came home to white sticks.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I honestly don't think you'll see much of a difference from going from 7-8. going up to 9-10ish maybe.

my retired frag tank of yesteryear which grew everything from under the sun and colored up brownies in weeks had an alk off 10-11 and cal of 500.

never meant for that to happen but my doser at the time, was dosing more than i expected.. error on my part but i had so many sps that everything leveled off to those numbers.

everything grew great and colors were amazing...then my chiller broke during that 2012 heat wave while i was away for 4 days. came home to white sticks.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I remember hearing about that, really sucks.

Hm idk, i have great color, everythings mostly happy and healthy. Maybe ill leave it. Was just thinking of doing it to see if it would result in better growth.

magnets are awesome dude!

IMG_20150115_204224.jpg

I got this piece from Zippy (Pete) from NJRC. he's a big user of magnets as plugs for his back glass. lol

I will be ordering a bunch for myself as well.

• Like 4

magnets are awesome dude!

IMG_20150115_204224.jpg

I got this piece from Zippy (Pete) from NJRC. he's a big user of magnets as plugs for his back glass. lol

I will be ordering a bunch for myself as well.

Yea i remember his tank was full of them when i went over. Im going to order a few sets, quite expensive though, atleast the ones hes using.

He uses these... http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC6PC-BLK

Im thinking about getting these... http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D84PC-BLK

They are smaller, but might do the trick.

The best KH level is always an interesting discussion. For frag tanks with normal to high nutrients 9 to 10 KH would probably be the best for fast growth and good color. Lower KH will almost always produce better color in SPS, but better than what? :) The only risk with high KH is if you lower nutrients but keep KH high, which can lead to tip burn.

My current thinking is to run around 8, above NSW levels but not too far away.

Second magnet you linked too is weatherproof but not waterproof like the first one is.

The best KH level is always an interesting discussion. For frag tanks with normal to high nutrients 9 to 10 KH would probably be the best for fast growth and good color. Lower KH will almost always produce better color in SPS, but better than what? :) The only risk with high KH is if you lower nutrients but keep KH high, which can lead to tip burn.

My current thinking is to run around 8, above NSW levels but not too far away.

Second magnet you linked too is weatherproof but not waterproof like the first one is.

Good catch on the magnet, didnt see it.

My systems super low nutrient, undetectable, so i guess i should just leave alk lower and not bother.

• Like 3

I am a fan of feeding my fish well, ...but then my fish look much better than my corals!

I try to feed them alot, but with my skimmer, chaeto and BB everything gets removed easily so i have low nutrients.

• Like 1

I think my seahorses are what is totally keeping my system from being low nutrient. They are very messy eaters.

I could imagine, totally worth it for horses though!

• Like 1

I could imagine, totally worth it for horses though!

Yes, it is totally worth it. Actually my LPS and clam have never looked better. I think they like seahorse processed mysis, LOL!

• Like 1

Awwwww yeaaaa, got my first clam at kats birthday party. Nice derasa, its not really that blue, but all my pics made it come out that way. Opened up nicely within minutes and its already extending its foot and looks likes its grabbing hold. :D

16302708062_ee58e867bb_b.jpgDSCN0335 by justinarce5692, on Flickr

• Like 5

That's a beauty! How big is it? When I got mine I remember reading if they are smaller than 3" it's a good idea to supplement them and with your system being low nutrient and all. If it is over 3" they usually have enough mantle for photosynthesis to meet their needs.

That's a beauty! How big is it? When I got mine I remember reading if they are smaller than 3" it's a good idea to supplement them and with your system being low nutrient and all. If it is over 3" they usually have enough mantle for photosynthesis to meet their needs.

Its probably around 3 inches. Im not too worried about it, i can broadcast more coral snow if needed. Honestly ive been thinking about daily dosing some with the third head of my doser.

Hey she looks good! You take such nice photos.

Mix coral snow with phyto. let it sit for a bit before throwing it in.

I use several species of phyto for my tank in general. Everybody from SPS to other critters eat phyto. Brightwell has a mix called phyto-chrome that has several species. Live phyto is really great, I saw somebody selling some on NJRC

• Like 1

Hey she looks good! You take such nice photos.

Mix coral snow with phyto. let it sit for a bit before throwing it in.

I use several species of phyto for my tank in general. Everybody from SPS to other critters eat phyto. Brightwell has a mix called phyto-chrome that has several species. Live phyto is really great, I saw somebody selling some on NJRC

Thanks Kat, ill have to try to get some of it. Im using brightwells reef snow so ill check it out.

• Like 1