Innovative Marine Aquariums

Arce's Tank

Arce

What kind of ATO are you using?

I don't have the stomach for the kinds that use float switches... too much chance for failure. Smart ATO, or anything with an optical sensor ftw.

Im using the tunze nano ato

Checked this morning, ATO was functioning fine. Probably just jinxed myself, but hopefully its working fine as i cant afford to get a new one right now.

Looking at my tank last night im noticing alot of good color, things are still progressing. Only thing i feel like im strugglig with right now is growth, i guess i just need to give it time. Luckily nothing seems affected by the alk swing and that salinity swing.

13 days till 1 year =]

• Like 2
TheKleinReef

When things were just starting to go well for me color came first. Then the next thing I know I had to up dosing by 16ml to keep up with the rapid growth spurt. Maybe your tanks growth spurt will come next!

• Like 1
When things were just starting to go well for me color came first. Then the next thing I know I had to up dosing by 16ml to keep up with the rapid growth spurt. Maybe your tanks growth spurt will come next!

Im hoping thats the case. Color is obviously a sign of good health, so once they heal up from all the crap ive given them maybe they will have time to focus on growth =P.

• Like 1

ATO has been functioning fine so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

The tank needs an overhaul this weekend, a good cleaning and a barrage of testing. I tested ALK last night and it came in at 6.3, the doser has been fine so it must be a consumption increase, upped my dosage a mL or two. Everythings looking great though otherwise.

I am really starting to get annoyed by the dimensions of the tank though, its really starting to get to me. The 12" width is whats doing it. Im going to let the tank ride, my plans were always to upgrade when i get my own place, but well see.

• Like 2

Ol' 34 RSM......

Lol, even if i had the money for it, i dont think id like the dims. My dream tank is the size of your new tank, 36x18x18 or 36x16x18.

• Like 1

Looking into modding the coralvue fixture.

Probably going to go with nanobox 13up boards. In a perfect world id probably put 4 on there, but thats overkill for this tank and i dont have that kind of money. I was thinking about doing 2 boards and maybe expanding in the future. Thoughts?

• Like 1

T5 :D

I just posted on Kats thread but i'll repeat here. For LED my goal would be enough coverage so the front "pucks" would be angled back, center pucks straight down, back pucks angled forward. This way you come closer to duplicating the reflected light of T5 or large reflector Halide with the LEDs. You also get to enjoy more colors on the front of the corals and less harsh shadowing.

• Like 1

ATO has been functioning fine so far. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

The tank needs an overhaul this weekend, a good cleaning and a barrage of testing. I tested ALK last night and it came in at 6.3, the doser has been fine so it must be a consumption increase, upped my dosage a mL or two. Everythings looking great though otherwise.

I am really starting to get annoyed by the dimensions of the tank though, its really starting to get to me. The 12" width is whats doing it. Im going to let the tank ride, my plans were always to upgrade when i get my own place, but well see.

40 Breeder is the shizzniz. 36x18x18 Petco $1 Sale (fits your new T5 fixture)

Ghost Overflow it up or Glassholes.com

12" deep makes me cringe.

my perfect dimensions for a reasonable sized reef would be 36x24x18 or 36x36x18 if i want more depth.

Looking into modding the coralvue fixture.

Probably going to go with nanobox 13up boards. In a perfect world id probably put 4 on there, but thats overkill for this tank and i dont have that kind of money. I was thinking about doing 2 boards and maybe expanding in the future. Thoughts?

I think 3 boards min. bro. if you can't do it right now, wait till you can.

or...

sell it, get yourself a nice 400w metal halide. B)B)B)B)B)

• Like 1

Lol, even if i had the money for it, i dont think id like the dims. My dream tank is the size of your new tank, 36x18x18 or 36x16x18.

The problem with a 30B or 40B (tanks with the dims you like) is that they don't come with a cool stand. My CAD tank was the next best thing since sliced bread. Now you could use a 65G stand for those, but the stands are still a pretty penny unless you make one yourself but even then it's not cheap.

• Like 2

The problem with a 30B or 40B (tanks with the dims you like) is that they don't come with a cool stand. My CAD tank was the next best thing since sliced bread. Now you could use a 65G stand for those, but the stands are still a pretty penny unless you make one yourself but even then it's not cheap.

I hate stands... it's just evil how much they sell those things.

• Like 2

T5 :D

I just posted on Kats thread but i'll repeat here. For LED my goal would be enough coverage so the front "pucks" would be angled back, center pucks straight down, back pucks angled forward. This way you come closer to duplicating the reflected light of T5 or large reflector Halide with the LEDs. You also get to enjoy more colors on the front of the corals and less harsh shadowing.

Since i still have the T5s i wouldnt really bother angleing them since the T5 will give the spread needed. But if were to go only LEDs, i would definitely do this.

my perfect dimensions for a reasonable sized reef would be 36x24x18 or 36x36x18 if i want more depth.

or...

A standard 40b is 36x18x16 though, i want that 2 extra inches in height. But thats definitely the plan, regardless of which tank i get in those dims, 700gph glassholes etc etc.

3 boards would be nice, but i think im going to treat the leds more of supplement than main light, so i think i could get away with the 2 boards.

:lol: Lololol you and this halide nonsese, aint guna happen.

I would never buy a stand. I made my own and probably always will. I cannot justify spending the amount of cash that they put them out for when i can make something 4x as strong and at a quarter of the price. Im not a master carpenter or anything, but the stand on my current tank came out pretty legit for my first attempt at stand building. I think i spent a total of like $75 on the stand i have now and thats because i ended up screwing up the plywood twice <_< lol.

or...

My old retro has 2 boards.....

Mebbe you and Arce can have a fight or something.

• Like 2

My old retro has 2 boards.....

Mebbe you and Arce can have a fight or something.

did you ever figure out an asking price?! lol

Ill pay a dollar more than he will... lolol

Jk he has dibbs..

I just priced out the cost of running two boards.. Should be around $230 with a storm controller.

• Like 1

Ill pay a dollar more than he will... lolol

Jk he has dibbs..

I just priced out the cost of running two boards.. Should be around $230 with a storm controller.

you have a parts list?

Absolutely irritated with my tank right now. Was trying to mount some frags and truly hate my scape and how everything's laid out. Had to walk away. Ill tackle it with a clear mind tomorrow.

Isn't your tank overflowing by now Arce? Time for an BIGGER TANK. muhahahahhaha.

Honestly it is, the tight dimensions make it hard to work with. Ive been considering jumping to the 40 but idk. If i did i would want to start with a new scape but i cant justify cutting the corals i have that have encrusted so well onto my rock. Especially since its the only makjor growth ive had, would be like a waste of 5+ months. Idk

I guess i could always take a dremel to the rocks and try to save all the encrusting corals. Not sure what i want to do, but ive been thinking about it for awhile now.

I guess i could always take a dremel to the rocks and try to save all the encrusting corals.

Now you got me started kat....

Any ideas about the above statement?

• Like 1