Top Shelf Aquatics

Arce's Tank

Arce

Stand looks good Arce. For the water, I'd use as much of the old as possible. Old floss, old water, old rocks. I know your sand will be new, maybe you can seed it with some live sand from the LFS or something.

Im going to run the tank with fresh SW for a day. Once I'm confident it wont leak i may drain 10 gallons (2buckets) and move 10 gallons of old water over. Using the same rocks and all, not trying to start brand new this is just a swap to a sumped 20. Not too worried about a cycle, more concerned about testing the new tank and plumbing.

I have to move my lights and the conduit hangers to the new stand though. So my tank might be without light for a day, not sure its the best decision seeing how pissed everything already is but have no choice since i have to get them on before i fill the new tank.

• Like 1

Awesome, got the tank ready to go but cant do anything. The plywood top isnt level on one corner by a 1/8th of an inch. No idea how the hell that happened but basically screws everything. I either have to shim it in the one corner or somehow take the stand apart / rebuild it.

Im so freaking frustrated right now

Awesome, got the tank ready to go but cant do anything. The plywood top isnt level on one corner by a 1/8th of an inch. No idea how the hell that happened but basically screws everything. I either have to shim it in the one corner or somehow take the stand apart / rebuild it.

Im so freaking frustrated right now

Will adding some foam to the top of the stand help level it out? I'm using 10mm foam between the tank and stand top to help cover up my shoddy craftsmanship, the rear left corner was up slightly and the foam helped immensely with getting it all level. I picked it up from the foam/rubber section of a pool supply store for about $10 or so. I got more than I needed and ended up cutting the excess to size and putting it under the sump to help with vibration.

It definitely can be. I just wish i had a larger array of tools, i mostly have cheap harbor freight type crap. Right now i mostly use my fiances fathers tools but he doesn't have much either. Would kill for a nice table saw.

Yeah tools are a good thing to have. I just have a small Makita table saw it works but would like a bigger one but no room for it.

Its a rimmed tank so foam. Have to think this through and find a fix

What you do is shim the plywood with a few fender washers. I had the same issue with my temporary tank in the garage. I just shimmed the top a little and all was good. You can then take some caulk and fill the gap and paint it once it dries no one will be the wiser except you....

• Like 2

Wow really nice tank !!!

Thanks!

Yeah tools are a good thing to have. I just have a small Makita table saw it works but would like a bigger one but no room for it.

What you do is shim the plywood with a few fender washers. I had the same issue with my temporary tank in the garage. I just shimmed the top a little and all was good. You can then take some caulk and fill the gap and paint it once it dries no one will be the wiser except you....

Well one side of the stand somehow ended up 1/8th off, I pulled the legs on that side out, going to Replace them and see if this levels it off. It's not the ply that's off. If it continues I'll just shim it like you said

• Like 1

Well one side of the stand somehow ended up 1/8th off, I pulled the legs on that side out, going to Replace them and see if this levels it off. It's not the ply that's off. If it continues I'll just shim it like you said

:lol: Good to see another OCD person............ :blink: yeah things like that drive me nuts.......better to just fix it right and e done with it.....

• Like 1

:lol: Good to see another OCD person............ :blink: yeah things like that drive me nuts.......better to just fix it right and e done with it.....

Yea I can't just shim it off the start if I can fix it I will, especially since it'll give me anxiety thinking the stands not level lolol

• Like 1

Did a rough fit of new legs on the low side. Looks level and everything seems fine. Need to screw them in, sand it down and paint it all. Wish i went with an oil based paint, i used latex. Have to touch up the top because i removed the screws which i counter sank and filled with wood filler. Oh well.

• Like 1

This project costed more than expected... Kinda blew up the budget on this one.

When does that not happen in this hobby :lol:

Just spend the money and enjoy it......you cant take it with you ;)

We have water... Cant turn it all on though, need to let the return pump pvc glue set. Not sure but assume a 24 hour cure probably.

Is it just regular PVC glue? If so hell I glue sprinklers together and let them dry for 5 mins and turn them on :lol: It will be dry pretty quickly.

Well every tank I have had I tested with fresh water as I did not want to waist the salt if I did have a leak and head to tear into it. Good to wait a little and all should be good to go.

Im using rodi right now. Might turn it on late tonight and let it all run for overnight. Ill probably add salt in the morning if its all good

• Like 1

Started it up before i went out last night with friends. Everything was dry when i got home so i threw in some salt. Just checked it this morning and everythings good to go. Just need to clear the aater up a little bit and check the salinity. Might do the transfer today.

• Like 3
tanacharison

I used oatey not gorilla. Im just worried about anything getting into the water.

Ive used that brand to do emergency repairs in my plumbing and had the tank running a few hours later. Never had a issue.

Peechurs?

Eventually doing the transfer now, its going to be a full day event.

Peechurs?

Eventually doing the transfer now, its going to be a full day event.

Ive used that brand to do emergency repairs in my plumbing and had the tank running a few hours later. Never had a issue.

I turned it on after about 10 hours and everything held solid.

• Like 1