Coral Vue Hydros

Arce's Tank

Arce

Tested parameters. Alk was a bit low but not horrible considering I'm using blue bucket and haven't managed dosing, came in at 7. Calc was 380ish, think i could have use one more drop but i always stop right when it shows some color so it could be higher which means its in the right range. Salinity was 1.026, re-calibrated and its all correct.

Now i just pulled out a literal baseball worth of some very dense algae. I'm still thinking its nutrients. Unfortunately i thought i had a nitrate kit but i must have tossed it or sold it as i couldn't find one in my plethora of fish junk. So i cant confirm nutrients, but whatever, dosing aminos and such to see if anything reacts.

Has work be done on the house recently? Painted, sprayed, treated?

any other magnets in the tank? frag racks etc?

Nope, in terms of magnets i have tunze, mag float and a old magnet i ripped off my broken RW4 that i glued eggcrate to for a rack. Nothing is seriously rusted.

Everyday im pulling another out thats stn/rtn'd. Whatever is causing this is still happening and i have no idea what it is. Pretty much gave up and letting them crap out. If anything survives them so be it.

Damn, sorry to hear. I missed reading your troubles over the last few pages, I skimmed through about 15 to catch up on things. I hope things start to recover for you.

Damn, sorry to hear. I missed reading your troubles over the last few pages, I skimmed through about 15 to catch up on things. I hope things start to recover for you.

I dont think things will recover. Its all downhill so far, and i have no idea why.

Only SPS left are the kat, pc rainbow which is starting to stn base up, slimers on its last leg, pink lemonade, blue stag, tierra del fuego which is starting to deteriorate, pink table pretty much is shot as well but not completely gone yet.

Trying to look back to see what happened because everything was very healthy then boom RTN/STN. Idk.

Going back through my thread, things just turned fast. Started with my Joe the coral. I do remember things becoming extremely light/pale before that happened, my green tort was like a very bright lime, even the slimer as well. Continues my belief it was low nutrients. Then things progressed rapidly and necrosis hit hard. By this time my salt had already had 2 or 3 changes with the new one, and the T5 replacements had been in for probably over a week for two and 2 weeks for the other two, and the fixture was raised slightly as well. I did add two bottles of tigger pods from my lfs i think around this time as well. I cant think of anything else that changed. :unsure:

Extremely odd for it to go downhill for no reason. If it isn't pests and the alk was stabilized, and nothing else has changed.... stumped

Yep, thats why i have no idea what to do. I have checked several times for pests, with zoomed in photos and with UV flashlight, nada. Alk was "stable" swing was minimal but could also be user error. Its just such a sudden event, within a week, and everything was fairly healthy which is making this all the more confusing.

Man, Arce - I'm sorry about the SPS troubles! That's so odd.

i was looking for this and couldn't find it. Do you run carbon at all? Do you think it has anything to do with coral warfare/toxins? And keep in mind i'm just throwing stuff against the wall with no real info to back it up.

• Like 1

Man, Arce - I'm sorry about the SPS troubles! That's so odd.

i was looking for this and couldn't find it. Do you run carbon at all? Do you think it has anything to do with coral warfare/toxins? And keep in mind i'm just throwing stuff against the wall with no real info to back it up.

Yea i run chemipure. Toxins was on the list but no way to really test it unless i take the nepthea out. But ive run carbon from day one so idk.

• Like 1

Yea i run chemipure. Toxins was on the list but no way to really test it unless i take the nepthea out. But ive run carbon from day one so idk.

so frustrating.

so frustrating.

Yea just a bit. More so because everything was pretty healthy then boom, necrosis. Idk why i still enjoy this damned hobby.

• Like 1

The carbon isn't particularly old, right? Even chemi-pure has to be susceptible to bacterial film, so I worry about their instructions saying it lasts months. :unsure:

The carbon isn't particularly old, right? Even chemi-pure has to be susceptible to bacterial film, so I worry about their instructions saying it lasts months. :unsure:

I used to change it every month if not every two when i forgot.

Good point. I actually change my carbon out weekly for this reason - and that's probably excessive but I don't trust that it lasts months either.

Good point. I actually change my carbon out weekly for this reason - and that's probably excessive but I don't trust that it lasts months either.

I use a tablespoon of matrix carbon in the reactor, two tbsp if I'm using a passive media bag. Reactor gets switched out in a week, media bag maybe 2 weeks.

• Like 1

You know.. at times i do remember seeing some corals put out mesenterial filaments, which i assumed was just a feeding response but it did happen randomly throughout the day. Also have to consider i run BB with no skimmer so there is always detritus and such floating in the water column which could promote the response. Maybe the filaments are a defensive response instead? Bah idk if im fabricating reasons or if its a possibility.

• Like 1

They totally could be. My cyphastrea frag had filaments out the other day because the pavona frag near it was trying to attack it. I moved the pavona away, the filaments are gone.

All my sps have distance between them so the nepthea is the culprit. I guess i could take it out and put it in a temp tank for awhile. I dont think i have another light though.