inTank Media Baskets

Arce's Tank

Arce

You know.. at times i do remember seeing some corals put out mesenterial filaments, which i assumed was just a feeding response but it did happen randomly throughout the day. Also have to consider i run BB with no skimmer so there is always detritus and such floating in the water column which could promote the response. Maybe the filaments are a defensive response instead? Bah idk if im fabricating reasons or if its a possibility.

Well, you might be onto something. It could be the SPS are sending out the filaments, irritating the nepthia which then releases toxins and it becomes a vicious cycle.

All my sps have distance between them so the nepthea is the culprit. I guess i could take it out and put it in a temp tank for awhile. I dont think i have another light though.

And softies release toxins into the water. So I think you're onto something about the nepthea.

You may not need to remove the nepthea - try replacing the carbon for now, and see if that helps? If the nepthea can't 'smell' the other corals in the water, it may not release as many toxins.

Plants do something similar, releasing chemicals when they sense another plant nearby in order to convince it not to grow too close. They also release chemicals when their leaves are chewed through by bugs, and plants nearby will start doing the same in order to become less appetizing. Nature's weird.

• Like 1

I just actually threw new carbon in yesterday when i did a w/c. Lets see what happens...

But i always changed my carbon somewhat frequently... so idk.

• Like 1

I wish i wasn't paranoid about drilling my 20. My 29 was drilled but it was in my basement and if it flooded, which it did, it didn't do much damage. Having this tank on my second floor is really deterring me. fml. :unsure:

• Like 1

Well, hopefully i don't jynx myself but it appears that the issues might have stopped or stalled. Haven't completely lost any more sps for a day or so. Slimers base to about a quarter the way up is bone white, but the branches are all showing PE but no flesh so hopefully it'll come around. PC rainbow, starting to pale a bit and has thinner flesh. KAt frag looks like nothing happened to it and continues to grow, i have no idea why.... Some other pieces haven't declined any further but still don't look hot. Maybe whatever it was passed and things will rebound.

• Like 2

A lot of changes in the upcoming week. Tired of this necrosis and issues with my tank. Time to finally act and stop talking about it.

Aweeeesssommmee came home to water all over my floor, ATO stuck on dumped idk how much into the tank. Salinty dropped to 1.024. Looks like the hose for the ato started spraying some over the side as well.

I love my autoaqua micro ATO, it does everything right short of having a second sensor for overflow.

I also really like my big boy Tunze ATO, but it's more than twice the price.

Both have non-mechanical sensors, so no floats. The Tunze does have a backup float that detects an overfill condition to shut off the ATO.

The micro ATO has a timer to detect an overflow. If it takes more that three times longer than the initial fill time (when it's powered on) then it shuts off and alarms.

If I had to buy a new ATO, I'd get the micro.

• Like 1

Still undecided on the ATO. Im waiting till next week to make a decision.

Tank is still declining, now my PC rainbow which has been healthy has some STN on the base.

I'm moving my tank back to my basement, building a new stand and putting a sump on it this week. Stand is already built, went with a simple 2x4 frame, nothing fancy. Should be getting the tank Thursday so i will hopefully have it drilled and filled by Friday. Getting a sca 301 skimmer again as i had no problem with mine when i had the 29 up. Hopefully this better filtration and added water volume helps with whatever is causing my stn/rtn.

• Like 2

Ive considered time ato just because this is the second time an Ato has failed on me. What pump do u use mark?

I use the BRS pumps on both tanks.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-top-off-doser-50-ml-per-minute-1.html

It's a little loud but the tanks are in the basement so no problem. They tend to click or pop when coming on.

Apex program for the 150:

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

OSC 000:00/000:55/014:05 Then ON

If Outlet SUMP = OFF Then OFF

If Power EB4_4 Off 000 Then OFF

If pHc > 8.50 Then OFF

If FeedC 016 Then OFF

If FeedD 016 Then OFF

for the 40:

Fallback OFF

Set OFF

OSC 000:00/000:13/014:47 Then ON

If Outlet FugeTunze_40 = OFF Then OFF

If Power EB4_4 Off 000 Then OFF

If FeedC 016 Then OFF

My evaporation is low and I end up having to adjust these timings by a few seconds twice a year.

Oh, and your story is why I never sell anything and end up being a crazy reef gear hoarder. :D

• Like 2

Oh, and your story is why I never sell anything and end up being a crazy reef gear hoarder. :D

I now see the value in this. Wish i didn't sell off a ton of equipment from my 29.

• Like 2

I will consider the BRS doser but i have a RKL and already have 2 of their dosers for my alk/calc. Ive read that only two of their outlets are reliable for repetitive on/off and dosing. Not sure if thats accurate or not.

Oh, well tunze sells the pump for the ATO separately and its only 20 bucks. I lieu of saving some cash i may just make sure my pump is whats shot and not the float/controls.