Cultivated Reef

Arce's Tank

Arce

I saved and regrew my Secale from tiny tips. I'd frag it and remount even if it's a small piece it could pull through, they're pretty tough IME.

Hm, ok. Were talking little nubs though. Im thinking ill leave it as a whole only because most of it still has flesh. If it starts receding maybe ill chop it up. But if it doesn't start growing back i may just call it and toss it.

Leave it and see what happens. It seems to be 50/50 if a nub survives being glued to a frag plug. I had a small piece of a hard to grow acro survive while a tiny piece of the Miami Orchid RTN'ed soon after fragging. I expected the exact opposite. :D

• Like 1

I'm watching it Friday but we're gonna do a Finding Nemo night tomorrow on Netflix.

So I'll see you Sunday then? Can't wait to meet the Mrs to be!

I should watch finding nemo Friday night, got no plans since the fiance has work.

Yes hopefully ill be there Sunday, not sure if she is coming with me though, trying to convince her.

I finally had time to play with the tank yesterday, I've been so busy that i rarely have a minute to do anything with it. Gave it a deep cleaning and boy was it dirty. Did a 5g w/c and siphoned into a filter sock twice to get any remaining gunk out. Then i played with my scape a little bit, added a rock to the left side of the main structure, think it looks pretty good now. Mounted some frags and cleaned everything up. Should have tested my alk but forgot, ill have to do it tonight.

I want to make a bed for my acans, my damn snails and urchin keep moving them around since I'm running BB. Thinking about just using some rock rubble and emarco cement to make a small flat structure that i can mount them to.

• Like 1

Pics or it didn't happen.

Didnt take any was cloudy after cleaning. Ill take some tonight.

Been throwing around the idea about making a new stand. The one i built and am currently using has taken a beating. Think its time to make a new more functional and better crafted stand.

• Like 1

God i love these acans...

27614629722_26fbafed80.jpg

Tank isnt ready for a FTS debut after the new changes. Too many things look pissed off and i cant get my camera to cooperate.

• Like 8

Checked my alk for the first time in a month or so, came in at 8.1 which is great seeing how i killed my dosers for a week and made the switch to blue bucket salt. Turned the dosers back on, now i actually have to see what my daily consumption is to adjust my dosage. Bleh more testing... I think i can count on one hand how many times ive tested alk so far with this tank lmao.

• Like 1

Looks like these alk spikes were the definite cause of some of my sps troubles because things are really starting to turn around. Scoped the tank this morning before work with my UV flashlight. PC rainbow is coming back strong, almost full PE and its getting good color back. One or two other pieces are still bleh but hopefully they recover. Definitely think i still have a nutrient issue, which i cant do anything about, but my millie browned out which sucks. Its never had great color because i bought it as a brown turd, so i may just try to find another millie to replace it and throw this one on the rack till it heals up.

• Like 2

Thinking about making a low tech/maintenance tank for my mandarin. Want to go with an AIO like 15 or 20L. Nice short sandbed with some C. Prolifera or something similar to give him a better habitat than my BB sps reef. All comes down to the cash and time though. Have to plan it out.

• Like 2

Thinking about making a low tech/maintenance tank for my mandarin. Want to go with an AIO like 15 or 20L. Nice short sandbed with some C. Prolifera or something similar to give him a better habitat than my BB sps reef. All comes down to the cash and time though. Have to plan it out.

How about a 12L or the 22L? You can make it into an AIO and with the long and shallow tank, he'll have lots of sand bed to hunt on.

How about a 12L or the 22L? You can make it into an AIO and with the long and shallow tank, he'll have lots of sand bed to hunt on.

Not really a fan of those bookshelf thin width type aquariums. Im leaning toward the 15g standard, so 24x12x12. Idk about an AIO insert not looking spend a lot on some custom ones.

• Like 2

Not really a fan of those bookshelf thin width type aquariums. Im leaning toward the 15g standard, so 24x12x12. Idk about an AIO insert not looking spend a lot on some custom ones.

True, you can probably just use a HOB. The 15 will be nice for sure! The long thin ones are hard to aquascape. That's my only complaint :)

• Like 1

True, you can probably just use a HOB. The 15 will be nice for sure! The long thin ones are hard to aquascape. That's my only complaint :)

I wanted to do an AIO to hide equipment, but a HOB is my cheap fall back option. Yea that's why i really don't like them, hard to scape.

• Like 1

Millie.

IM concept series are sweet but pricey.

Millie what?

Yea those are really nice. I entered two contests to win one of them so lets cross our fingers and toes lol.

Looked at my tank last night with my UV flashlight, cant believe it but the bonsai started to get its polyps back despite being half dead. The tips look great and i can see a little bit of green florescence here and there where the other polyps were. If it comes back ill be pretty impressed. Just not sure if i should cut the bone white skeleton bottom half off or leave it to grow back over.

• Like 1

Anyone have their tank on a carpet floor? Did you put anything under your tank in the event of leaks. Thinking about those plastic mats that people put under their desk chairs. I'm thinking about moving my tank back to my basement like i had my 29 and finally get a sump on this 20.

Have had a few on carpet and none have ever had any kind of mats under them. My last one had the stand siliconed up so water could not get out in case of a leak. You saw the new build and I kind of did the same thing. Hopefully catch it before it goes everywhere.......

• Like 1

Looked at my tank last night with my UV flashlight, cant believe it but the bonsai started to get its polyps back despite being half dead. The tips look great and i can see a little bit of green florescence here and there where the other polyps were. If it comes back ill be pretty impressed. Just not sure if i should cut the bone white skeleton bottom half off or leave it to grow back over.

Telling you man, it's hard to kill them. :D You could probably leave it, once it's happy it should cover that again pretty fast.

• Like 1

Have had a few on carpet and none have ever had any kind of mats under them. My last one had the stand siliconed up so water could not get out in case of a leak. You saw the new build and I kind of did the same thing. Hopefully catch it before it goes everywhere.......

Yea my 29 was just on the carpet, nothing under it. But i had my ATO dump 5 gallons on the floor and id like to try to prevent the overall damage this time if i do move my 20. When that happened it actually caused a lot of mold to grow on my stand since i couldn't dry the carpet directly under the stand. With a mat it will hopefully dry faster and at least not be soaked directly under the tank. If i build a new stand I would try to do something similar to what you did.

Telling you man, it's hard to kill them. :D You could probably leave it, once it's happy it should cover that again pretty fast.

Haha, hoping it makes a come back. So far so good.

• Like 1