Coral Vue Hydros

Arce's Tank

Arce

Tank turned 1 year old today, not much to show for it though. Sps are still recovering, having a diatom break out now probably due to the new sand and the dry rock i threw into the sump for some added filtration.

My zoa tank is 2 years old and i am also dealing with diatoms. I have been adding larger grain sand over the last 2 months and that surely must be it.

My zoa tank is 2 years old and i am also dealing with diatoms. I have been adding larger grain sand over the last 2 months and that surely must be it.

Yes. Anytime you add something new be it a frag plug or a rock or sand, you will see it.

• Like 1

Yes. Anytime you add something new be it a frag plug or a rock or sand, you will see it.

Anything you can do with new frag plugs to prevent that? I am fragging all the time.

Anything you can do with new frag plugs to prevent that? I am fragging all the time.

You must be using alot of plugs to cause a bloom of diatoms. It usuallly clears up in a month from my experience. Just needs to use up all the silicates in the water.

• Like 2

You must be using alot of plugs to cause a bloom of diatoms. It usuallly clears up in a month from my experience. Just needs to use up all the silicates in the water.

I would say my main driver is the new Tropic Eden aragonite sand which I have added over the last 2 months to increase the grain size (MP10 blows it around + added a randalls shrimp).

Until you mentioned earlier I never thought of why the sand was ugly lol. For whatever reason I presumed it was Cyano, but it is clearly Diatoms. Patience!

• Like 1

I would say my main driver is the new Tropic Eden aragonite sand which I have added over the last 2 months to increase the grain size (MP10 blows it around + added a randalls shrimp).

Until you mentioned earlier I never thought of why the sand was ugly lol. For whatever reason I presumed it was Cyano, but it is clearly Diatoms. Patience!

Yep they are a pain. Hoping mine disappear in a couple weeks, but with the amount of sand and dry rock i added its doubtful.

• Like 1

Yep they are a pain. Hoping mine disappear in a couple weeks, but with the amount of sand and dry rock i added its doubtful.

Is it covering your rock / bothering corals?

I want some active fish, really want a wrasse. Was thinking a smaller long fin fairy wrasse might do well for some time, they stay smaller anyway. I may get rid of my springers damsel, hes becoming a real jerk to my clownfish. Getting him out would be a pain though so im waiting to see if the aggression dies down.

• Like 3

You can try adding a plug every few days to the system so that it has time to cure without having too many new plugs all at once. Throw it in the sump or frag tank. I always have some stuff sitting in my sump. frag plugs, branches i am not using in the display, rocks.

You can try adding a plug every few days to the system so that it has time to cure without having too many new plugs all at once. Throw it in the sump or frag tank. I always have some stuff sitting in my sump. frag plugs, branches i am not using in the display, rocks.

Any skeletons down there?

Hmmm sell my 4x24 ATI or hold onto it...

Thinking of selling it and either getting a gyre, or a BM doser. Or... I could buy the gyre with that cash then sell my 2 BRS dosers and get the BM doser but i have to throw in some more cash.. Ah man decisions...

• Like 1

These diatoms are killing me. Came home today and the tank looked horrible. Is there anything out there that binds silicates? Im prepping my second water change for this week to try to reduce whats in the water column. Going to be getting this awesome light and all ill be able to look at is brown poopy stuff. :rant::owned::tears:

omgomgomg

Take some cat hair to work today, sneeze up a storm. You're welcome.

Not a bad idea, but i dont wana die lol. Might just slip away later in the day...

• Like 1

If you find something to bind silicates that would be awesome. I was on the phone yesterday with the makers of iDip and they are working on a reagent to test Silicates in the water. Not much good unless we have a way to alter it (outside of water changes).

• Like 1

If you find something to bind silicates that would be awesome. I was on the phone yesterday with the makers of iDip and they are working on a reagent to test Silicates in the water. Not much good unless we have a way to alter it (outside of water changes).

Well Kat mentioned the yeast thing over on R2R. But its not proven yet, just a few people saying it works and others saying its not. I might try it, going to see how the tank looks today. I have been broadcast feeding heavy which also probably helped fuel the problem so i stopped doing that as well.

• Like 1