Pod Your Reef

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well, the city was repaving streets in Miami outside my hotel, left late after midnight from work the Saturdays ago, and a manhole was a bit more elevated than usual, not to mention it was uneven so it had extra concrete around it so it was like a huge mound.

I can't even go after the city since my car is slammed.

What kind of slammed car? I parted out my 8th Civic this fall - hellaflush with Buddy Club n+ & CCW's etc.. and now have a 8th Accord that I am turning into a project car.

SouthFlorida_Tron

What kind of slammed car? I parted out my 8th Civic this fall - hellaflush with Buddy Club n+ & CCW's etc.. and now have a 8th Accord that I am turning into a project car.

• Like 5

Another question Tron, those lil tank top holders that hold the glass lid, did you have to force them on the lip of your tank? Mine seem like an 1/8th to small. Thanks in advance,

-Dan

SouthFlorida_Tron

Another question Tron, those lil tank top holders that hold the glass lid, did you have to force them on the lip of your tank? Mine seem like an 1/8th to small. Thanks in advance,

-Dan

mine fit perfect, if they are too small, ill assume you accidentally got the ones for the glass with less thickness...

Yeah I think I got the wrong ones. So if I may I have another ?, I was installing the skimmer in the back and I ended up removing the hanging kit so the pump could sit on the bottom of the tank. I put it in at first with the hanging kit maxed out as low as it would go but it just didnt seem deep enough for the pump to pick up any water, how do you have yours?

SouthFlorida_Tron

Yeah I think I got the wrong ones. So if I may I have another ?, I was installing the skimmer in the back and I ended up removing the hanging kit so the pump could sit on the bottom of the tank. I put it in at first with the hanging kit maxed out as low as it would go but it just didnt seem deep enough for the pump to pick up any water, how do you have yours?

I like mine between 5.5" to 6" of water, measuring from the bottom of the pump, to the waterline... I also have my waterline about 1" above the final baffle...

I think the skimmer is around 1" or so up on the hanging kit... it may take a while to find the sweet spot. For some reason, it took nothing to find the sweet spot on my old tank, but this one took me a while longer.

So you are using the hanging kit? I just put it back on an I have it maxed out as low as it can go and it still seems to high.

edit. ..

I pulled the whole unit out and made a couple marks from the bottom of the pump to water line 5.5 and 6.0". I am going to keep the water a bit higher in the rear so I can run my neotherm in chamber1 a lil higher.... hmm still undecided if I should go in camber 1 or 3 cause of the sponges in chamber 1. I think I may move it to 3 now that I think about it and have my ato in 3 as well. What are your thoughts? Thanks tron for all the help

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well I only run one blue sponge in chamber one. Since the water essentially just falls along the back of the glass, No need for two sponges...

I keep my neotherm in chamber two next to the skimmer, and another reason to elevate the water, to keep it properly submerged...

And yes, ato always in chamber 3!

Nice car i have audi tt turbo upgrade lowered blacked rims same color ice silver.

Anyhow does you cad skimmer do the job I am like most reefers and am building for better. Can't decide cad skimmer or eshopps 75 what would you say about it. for a 33.7 g

GO WITH THE CADS!

So sleek and great design! :lol:

idk about what works better but all I have heard was amazing reviews for the cads!

I have had an horrible experience with eshopps skimmers... :rant:

Well I only run one blue sponge in chamber one. Since the water essentially just falls along the back of the glass, No need for two sponges...

I keep my neotherm in chamber two next to the skimmer, and another reason to elevate the water, to keep it properly submerged...

And yes, ato always in chamber 3!

Thank you
SouthFlorida_Tron

Nice car i have audi tt turbo upgrade lowered blacked rims same color ice silver.

Anyhow does you cad skimmer do the job I am like most reefers and am building for better. Can't decide cad skimmer or eshopps 75 what would you say about it. for a 33.7 g

Sump or rear chamber? Definitely cad, bigger question: 50 or 100...

Thank you

Your welcome!

Awesome tank! I was actually closing down my 55 gallon with sump because the maintenance was becoming to much of a hassle. All the fun had gone out of it and I decided to close it down. I started selling off the coral colonies and my wife and kids were so down on the idea that I have now decided to downsize to a simplified set up that will (hopefully) be less and easier maintenance. I decided to go all in one, mainly softies but a few select LPS and SPS so I don't have to deal with kalk and the associated depositing issues.

The JBJ RL 30 was looking good but was a bit too cube-ish for me - I can't aquascape a cube to save my life. Then I saw the CAD thread in sponsors which linked here! Looks like a great tank. Quality looks nice, back chambers have plenty of space and the proportions are great.

While I have only seen this an hour ago and will sleep on the final decision (I do all my best thinking asleep!) I think this is the one.

I have 2 Radions with the 120 degree wide angle lenses - I'm thinking one of these will be sufficient over this tank as long as I don't go crazy with the rock structures this time around - would you agree?

I also have the 2 MP10s but it sounds like there's good flow already with the stock recirc pump. I will hold tight and see if I need both or to sell one later on.

Love your scape - do you feel there's enough biofilter there for the livestock or is the skimmer and reactor doing a lot of heavy lifting to compensate? I also like an open scape and am trying to get a feel for what extra equipment I might be needing.

Like what you have done with the mesh top. With my rimless 55 I and a nice clean look until I put the BRS mesh kit in place. I wanted to put clips and mount the top inside but never found the right size clips or fond time to make some.

I was also hoping that Stevie would have a water deflector and basket for this bad boy but I don't see anything yet - I saw you touched on this earlier - any more info?

Do you know if a Tunze 3155 ATO will fit in the return chamber? The sensor array is not too thick but it is tall. I think it should work.

My main sticking point is my side table is too small for this size tank. I want to keep it fairly low so it looks good when seated and can also be viewed from above. Stock stands are too ugly and too high. I guess I'll have to look in to this aspect further!

Thanks and keep up the good work!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Awesome tank! I was actually closing down my 55 gallon with sump because the maintenance was becoming to much of a hassle. All the fun had gone out of it and I decided to close it down. I started selling off the coral colonies and my wife and kids were so down on the idea that I have now decided to downsize to a simplified set up that will (hopefully) be less and easier maintenance. I decided to go all in one, mainly softies but a few select LPS and SPS so I don't have to deal with kalk and the associated depositing issues.

Well downsizing to an AIO is definitely an easy, less maintenance route. Yet the clean look (if done right) still allows for the keeping of your beautiful corals!

The JBJ RL 30 was looking good but was a bit too cube-ish for me - I can't aquascape a cube to save my life. Then I saw the CAD thread in sponsors which linked here! Looks like a great tank. Quality looks nice, back chambers have plenty of space and the proportions are great.

Those JBJs are expensive aren't they? or am I thinking of the new IM's... Anyways, the CAD is a brand new design of 2014 and brings some new features, like very attractive beveled front glass corners... Not that I was a fan of the bent edges of the Biocubes and such, but these just shout beauty when walking by the aquarium every day. It is much more spacious than my previous build, so my fish are happier than pigs in............... you know.

While I have only seen this an hour ago and will sleep on the final decision (I do all my best thinking asleep!) I think this is the one.

I have 2 Radions with the 120 degree wide angle lenses - I'm thinking one of these will be sufficient over this tank as long as I don't go crazy with the rock structures this time around - would you agree?

This is a touchy subject... I suppose if the lenses make the spread better, I would suggest for a 12" to 15" test hanging height to see if you have severe shadowing....my Radion gen 1 with stock lenses still had SOME shadowing, even while hung at 12". I suppose you can find out and sell later if not needed...

I also have the 2 MP10s but it sounds like there's good flow already with the stock recirc pump. I will hold tight and see if I need both or to sell one later on.

My plan was two add a second but i don't truly see the need... I have the return and mp10 going in the same direction, as was designed on my previous build, and the flow literally has solid push all the way around back to the flow...

Love your scape - do you feel there's enough biofilter there for the livestock or is the skimmer and reactor doing a lot of heavy lifting to compensate? I also like an open scape and am trying to get a feel for what extra equipment I might be needing.

It may be on the lighter end of live rock filtration, but the truth is very ninja... Ive got a pre filter of sponge, before the water gets hit with the CAD skimmer, and a good size basket of chaeto... Even with 4 fish and intense feeding, I am yet to encounter an apocalyptic birth of hair algae or cyano! (sarcasm)

Like what you have done with the mesh top. With my rimless 55 I and a nice clean look until I put the BRS mesh kit in place. I wanted to put clips and mount the top inside but never found the right size clips or fond time to make some.

Cad actually included the clips and an optional glass top, I opted for a more gas exchange friendly mesh top, plus I was sick of my gobies jumping out through the BRS mesh, so used Tulle instead...

I was also hoping that Stevie would have a water deflector and basket for this bad boy but I don't see anything yet - I saw you touched on this earlier - any more info?

I refreshed this topic with him a few weeks ago, I think he is still upset with me that I didn't buy my heater from him on a cold spell in January when my tank his 72* LOL... He has yet to acknowledge the growing market on the new CAD. :(

Do you know if a Tunze 3155 ATO will fit in the return chamber? The sensor array is not too thick but it is tall. I think it should work.

I use the 3155, fits with plenty of room :)

My main sticking point is my side table is too small for this size tank. I want to keep it fairly low so it looks good when seated and can also be viewed from above. Stock stands are too ugly and too high. I guess I'll have to look in to this aspect further!

No Ikea stores by you? They always have great furniture (stand) ideas LOL....

Thanks and keep up the good work!

I will, and hope you end up with one, its a solid, well designed little tank! An unknown feature in the stability is that the back wall is actually secured (to avoid shaping) with a full glass backing, so that chambers are actually all made of glass!

Good luck! :happydance:

• Like 1

Well downsizing to an AIO is definitely an easy, less maintenance route. Yet the clean look (if done right) still allows for the keeping of your beautiful corals!

Those JBJs are expensive aren't they? or am I thinking of the new IM's... Anyways, the CAD is a brand new design of 2014 and brings some new features, like very attractive beveled front glass corners... Not that I was a fan of the bent edges of the Biocubes and such, but these just shout beauty when walking by the aquarium every day. It is much more spacious than my previous build, so my fish are happier than pigs in............... you know.

This is a touchy subject... I suppose if the lenses make the spread better, I would suggest for a 12" to 15" test hanging height to see if you have severe shadowing....my Radion gen 1 with stock lenses still had SOME shadowing, even while hung at 12". I suppose you can find out and sell later if not needed...

My plan was two add a second but i don't truly see the need... I have the return and mp10 going in the same direction, as was designed on my previous build, and the flow literally has solid push all the way around back to the flow...

It may be on the lighter end of live rock filtration, but the truth is very ninja... Ive got a pre filter of sponge, before the water gets hit with the CAD skimmer, and a good size basket of chaeto... Even with 4 fish and intense feeding, I am yet to encounter an apocalyptic birth of hair algae or cyano! (sarcasm)

Cad actually included the clips and an optional glass top, I opted for a more gas exchange friendly mesh top, plus I was sick of my gobies jumping out through the BRS mesh, so used Tulle instead...

I refreshed this topic with him a few weeks ago, I think he is still upset with me that I didn't buy my heater from him on a cold spell in January when my tank his 72* LOL... He has yet to acknowledge the growing market on the new CAD. :(

I use the 3155, fits with plenty of room :)

No Ikea stores by you? They always have great furniture (stand) ideas LOL....

I will, and hope you end up with one, its a solid, well designed little tank! An unknown feature in the stability is that the back wall is actually secured (to avoid shaping) with a full glass backing, so that chambers are actually all made of glass!

Good luck! :happydance:

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think this is the tank for me and will work well for all of the above reasons. I thought of Ikea but there are a few threads on here with people saying that they aren't up to the job. From the Ikea stuff we have in a few places, I am not inclined to agree! I'm planning to keep my existing stand (36x18) and put a plywood top and cover with granite or marble tile. I will bring the tile up so it's flush with the lip around the edge of the stand and then the new tank will sit on top of this. There will be a small border of tile showing around the edges as this tank has a smaller footprint than my current one but that will be ok. I can use the cabinet for the ATO and storing food and supplies. And if i keep the stand it's one less thing to find a buyer for!

One more question, if I may. Please can you show how high the skimmer extends out of the back chamber? I saw nothing on the CAD site and in the photo of your chambers wi that wires and pipes, it looks very clean. In the CAD sponsor thread, the skimmer is sticking out a mile. I think it can be used as HOB or in the tank. I'd be looking to use in the tank for lowest profile possible. Thanks!

Taking my Chromis in to the LFS later and will see if they can get a CAD in for me otherwise I will place an order directly with the manufacturer this afternoon! Stoked!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Thanks of rate detailed reply! I think this is the tank for me and will work well for all of the above reasons. I thought of Ikea but there are a few threads on here with people saying that they aren't up to the job. From the Ikea stuff we have in a few places, I am not inclined to agree! I'm not planning to keep my existing stand (36x18) and put a plywood top and cover with granite or marble tile. I will bring the tile up so it's flush with the lip around the edge of the stand and then the new tank will sit on top of this. There will be a small border of tile showing around the edges as this tank has a smaller footprint than my current one but that will be ok. I can use the cabinet for the ATO and storing food and supplies. And if i keep the stand it's one less thing to find a buyer for!

One more question, if I may. Please can you show how high the skimmer extends out of the back chamber? I saw nothing on the CAD site and in the photo of your chambers wi that wires and pipes, it looks very clean. In the CAD sponsor thread, the skimmer is sticking out a mile. I think it can be used as HOB or in the tank. I'd be looking to use in the tank for lowest profile possible. Thanks!

Taking my Chromis in to the LFS later and will see if they can get a CAD in for me otherwise I will place an order directly with the manufacturer this afternoon! Stoked!

Well, Ikea will always have mixed reviews... but we have had good luck with them... My wife bought a bookshelf type thing there and I took over half with the aquarium.... as much as she bitches about it, she still loves to admire the life in the glass box!

Here are some pics you requested :) I love showing this off...

Middle chamber has a special baffle to hold the skimmer lower in the tank and I used my old Pico Fuge Basket, also you see my heater, and my dosing tubes and ato in third chamber
For fun...
  • Like 4

Well, Ikea will always have mixed reviews... but we have had good luck with them... My wife bought a bookshelf type thing there and I took over half with the aquarium.... as much as she bitches about it, she still loves to admire the life in the glass box!

Here are some pics you requested :) I love showing this off...

12723117135_b3e7f64da6_c.jpg
Untitled by J.L Photography, on Flickr
It's a ninja skimmer! That's really nice and well thought out - below the rim but accessible when needed. Nothing worse than a sweet rimless tank with a cup of gunk poking out of the top!
I like the use of the probe holder to tidy up the hoses and hold them in place.
Just need to decide if I will be running a reactor or not. I may hold off on that and add it later if needed.
Thanks - really appreciate it! Oh, and by the way, if you see a big puffy hammer colony in my tank, I apologize in advance, but it's one of our faves and will be transferred over!
SouthFlorida_Tron

Lol...

And mine included their nr1 reactor which the tank is also designed to allow fitment next to the skimmer, but I don't use it, and have the basket in its place.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Mandarin still eating like a beast? How's teh vW?

Vdub back in action, back to the horrible 20mpg lol. Kinda miss the rental lol.

The Mandy is amazing .. Eating everything, mysis cubes, and now the +20 cube with blood worms spirulina and mysis, also cyclopeeze and pellets since I add that to the cube I add daily...

I'm so proud of him, I don't even need to shut down flow anymore, just kill the return and go into mp10 feedmode and he chases it through the water column!

• Like 2

Vdub back in action, back to the horrible 20mpg lol. Kinda miss the rental lol.

The Mandy is amazing .. Eating everything, mysis cubes, and now the +20 cube with blood worms spirulina and mysis, also cyclopeeze and pellets since I add that to the cube I add daily...

I'm so proud of him, I don't even need to shut down flow anymore, just kill the return and go into mp10 feedmode and he chases it through the water column!

really good to hear man. i hope i can get one to do that