Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Box Owners Thread

DaveFason

I bought the Retro Large Plus M for my Biocube 29. A bit more assembly required for my newbie self than I expected, but it looks really slick and I'm pretty happy with how everything looks and works.

However, the power cords for it are a bit short, I splashed a little water onto them when I was swapping out the poly filter floss and it caused it to spark/smoke. I have them unplugged for now until I can decide how to make this safe..

I bought the Retro Large Plus M for my Biocube 29. A bit more assembly required for my newbie self than I expected, but it looks really slick and I'm pretty happy with how everything looks and works.

However, the power cords for it are a bit short, I splashed a little water onto them when I was swapping out the poly filter floss and it caused it to spark/smoke. I have them unplugged for now until I can decide how to make this safe..

Just sent you an email!

After Dave's advice, I pushed the wires more inside the splash hood, now I have zero problems and it's working great! I love the look of these lights.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Just got my Nanobox Quad Wide prototype! Dave tried to tell me there were a few cosmetic flaws on it but I can't see anything wrong with it :)

This is a new tank, so no corals or fish yet, but I love the look of it even just with rocks.

27667438241_1d7836be94_b.jpg20160618-untitled-007-2-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Where did you get those clips for the hood?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
NewbReefer316

Quick question, I picked up a used quad and it's the older style with both power connectors on the same side. Does anyone know which power supply goes in which?

Use the 9v power first to find the fans. Once fan run, the other is for led power. There should be an F marked by this plug unless an old old unit.

Quick question, I picked up a used quad and it's the older style with both power connectors on the same side. Does anyone know which power supply goes in which?

• 1 month later...

Here is my setup. Still in the early stages. Will post updated pictures soon. I made a custom mount for the Duo on the back of my custom stand. Display is IM 10 gallon.

10%20gallon%20stand%20front%20with%20doo

10%20gallon%20stand%20back%20with%20ligh

NanoReef%20Logo%20Tank_zpsazxmkypj.jpg

Love this light! Great work Dave!

-Tankz

• Like 2
n0rcal2wheeler

Tank1.JPG

NBD2.JPGAcan1.JPGAcan1Midday.JPGAcan2.JPGAcan2Midday.JPGAcan3.JPGEchinata.JPGFavia.JPGLobo.JPG

Pavona.JPG

Psammacora.JPG

TorchCoral.JPG

Zoas.JPG

Very nice acans and setup, curious what daylight settings do you have for your nano box and flow? i got some acans but they dont have as nice pop under my nano box so maybe its my settings.

Thanks

Very nice acans and setup, curious what daylight settings do you have for your nano box and flow? i got some acans but they dont have as nice pop under my nano box so maybe its my settings.

Thanks

Acans (though now they're Micromussa) prefer fairly low light, and have the best pigment production in blue-heavy light, though there are some nice ones that do not fluoresce as heavily that look great in whiter light.

• Like 1

Thanks

Try a higher royal blue and cyan/blue channel setting. My personal micros...

29195032584_6a51ece710.jpgmicroacanmacro by Dave Fason, on Flickr

• Like 2

Thanks

Hey thank you very much, here are my settings. The light is 6" from the water and the Acans are on the sand bed about 12" from the water. These pictures were taken using my Midday settings. They pop ALOT more with the evening settings, but it's nearly impossible to capture using a camera without some post processing in photoshop.

10:30AM - 12:30PM

Blue: 40%

White: 0%

Violet: 35%

Cyan: 35%

Moon: 5%

Fan: 40%

12:30PM - 6:00PM

Blue: 70%

White: 40%

Violet: 75%

Cyan: 70%

Fan: 75%

6:00PM - 9:30PM

Blue: 45%

Violet: 45%

Cyan: 45%

Moon: 20%

Fan: 45%

n0rcal2wheeler

Forgot to mention i have the nanobox tide mini V3 with no moonlight or bluefish.

I will try for my daylight setting blue channel 70% and white channel of 35%

Hey thank you very much, here are my settings. The light is 6" from the water and the Acans are on the sand bed about 12" from the water. These pictures were taken using my Midday settings. They pop ALOT more with the evening settings, but it's nearly impossible to capture using a camera without some post processing in photoshop.

10:30AM - 12:30PM

Blue: 40%

Violet: 35%

Cyan: 35%

Fan: 40%

12:30PM - 6:00PM

Blue: 70%

White: 40%

Violet: 75%

Cyan: 70%

Fan: 75%

6:00PM - 9:30PM

Blue: 45%

Violet: 45%

Cyan: 45%

Moon: 20%

Fan: 45%

Very helpful info about light height, settings, and when pictures were taken. Thank you

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After Dave's advice, I pushed the wires more inside the splash hood, now I have zero problems and it's working great! I love the look of these lights.

I recommend you put some Reef safe caulking where the wires come out of the plastic shield. I do not want any moisture entering.

I have a Large retro in a biocube and the light is very nice. I just wish the light the blue was as dark as the moon light. Otherwise its a great bright light.

• 1 month later...

If you have a few photos with the light and tank I would love to share them. Great start!

-D

It's still in the early stages, but I love the look. It finished cycling and I added my fish a few days ago, no coral yet. Video was taken using Photo Mode on the Bluefish app. Taking photos and video with LEDs has proven quite challenging :wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_DghVpxf8w

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone! I just got my Nanobox Duo Plus M from a fellow board member. I got the blinkup done and the light works. Except I only have one Moonlight...

Did I setup something wrong? I can see where the LED is on the other chip/array/green circuit board but no light!

I think the thing is still under warranty, but I am guessing this is a setup issue...

• Like 1

No, it sounds about right. The moonlight is only a single LED. Any more and it's too bright for a moonlight setting IMO. In fact, even with the 1 moonlight LED, I run it at only 1%.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! I just got my Nanobox Duo Plus M from a fellow board member. I got the blinkup done and the light works. Except I only have one Moonlight...

Did I setup something wrong? I can see where the LED is on the other chip/array/green circuit board but no light!

I think the thing is still under warranty, but I am guessing this is a setup issue...

Correct, only one moonlight on the unit.

You can also set a different channel to mimic a moonlight as well.

• Like 1