Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Hmmm. Mirya, you just gave me an idea for the accent wall. Maybe I should bring my pillow with me that I made from this tank and match a reddish color. Whaddya think? Actually, now looking at it I think the pillow has that color in it.

20151113_232445_zpsc2f4hxpg.jpg

For the rest of the walls downstairs I like that color. Is that a taupe? Crap, I'll just bring this post up when I go.

Here are some floor choices. Keeping in mind what the cabinets are like in the kitchen.

Manor Hickory
Mahogany
Mountain Ridge Walnut

Pictures for reference, what I'm dealing with and the kitchen near it.

home2_zpsuatbl0nd.jpg

home5_zpsmgpnn7ku.jpg

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully, it's not a big space and won't take long to paint. Thank You everyone for your help. I hate all this having to happen so fast. So while I'm on-call this weekend and staying home I'm finding more crap to put in my Subaru to take to the Salvation Army store tomorrow and have also sold off today a Christmas Tree & wreath, an outdoor garden decorative gate, a garden shovel/spade and rake and 2 adirondack chairs. I need to do as much as I can now as before I get in there my mom & I will have to paint, and we can't do that til either before or after the downstairs floor is put down.

I'm leaving the upstairs wall color as it's neutral and clean at this point. I can always do that later. Just pressed for time w/ closing on 12/18, 2 holiday weeks back to back but thankfully I'm off 12/24 so you know where I'll be, IF the closing hapd in time I'm sure I'll be moving some things. Hard to even know when to rent a U-Haul since I don't know when the floor will be put in. At least I can move upstairs boxes immediately w/ my Subaru. I'll only live 2 miles away so I can take care of much myself, until it's time for furniture and tanks.

I am determined though to move into my new home for New Year's Eve if all goes well.

Hmmm. Mirya, you just gave me an idea for the accent wall. Maybe I should bring my pillow with me that I made from this tank and match a reddish color. Whaddya think? Actually, now looking at it I think the pillow has that color in it.

20151113_232445_zpsc2f4hxpg.jpg

Yeah! That's perfect! That is even more the shade that I had in my head, but couldn't find a good picture of. :)

As for the flooring, I like the walnut the most, but wonder if the hickory would go better with the kitchen. Maybe one of the projects you can tackle down the road is refinishing the kitchen cabinets. I'm really not a fan of the blond pine cabinets -- particularly with the other colors in that kitchen. You can use a product like this: Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations.

Yeah! That's perfect! That is even more the shade that I had in my head, but couldn't find a good picture of. :)

As for the flooring, I like the walnut the most, but wonder if the hickory would go better with the kitchen. Maybe one of the projects you can tackle down the road is refinishing the kitchen cabinets. I'm really not a fan of the blond pine cabinets -- particularly with the other colors in that kitchen. You can use a product like this: Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations.

I like the Walnut the best for another reason too, the planks are wider and have more variation. Yes, I hate light cabinets. I was supposed to have expresso colored ones in the modular I was going to build. Yeah, there aren't many cabinets so just deglossing and applying would be pretty easy for a spring summer/project. Looks like that box would be exactly what I need. Thank You.

Yeah, the pillow has a more red color, like the red in the Kong toys for dogs. That for the accent and light taupe on the walls. You guys are good!

Here's the couch with the pillow and then the quilt my mother in law made so many colors in there to choose from for accent but between the two items reddish is the way to go.

20151114_102244_zpstmhuyr5x.jpg

Congrats!!!!!! And I second the Walnut floor I think out of the three choices it looks the best. Is Lowes going to install the floor also? If you can run a saw and read a tape measure you can do it yourself :) If you were not so far away I would offer. Pergo is a easy DIY project.

Yeah, they're offering .89 a ft installation so it'd be under $550. It's a time thing too. Closing on 12/18 but who knows if it'll happen on time, you know how that goes and then I want to be out before Jan 1 so I don't owe Jan rent and that would be my grace month so I wouldn't pay on the home til 2/1. 2 weeks of holidays and I'm off on 12/24 and have 3 tanks that have to go in. SO, very much a convenience thing. It's only me, I'm single so someone professional has to do it, I don't even have a saw anymore, sold my husband's circular.

Space is like 600 ft so they should be done in 2 days. Would be cool if I could get in to paint before that, so if closing was the 18th Fri, paint Sat and Sun and not worry about carpet drips but then again, do they have to remove the other molding to put the pergo down? If so, even that I can get dirty. I'd have them put a quarter round white for molding. Does that go against the molding already on the wall or is that removed completely? I just don't know how the process works.

Yep, Walnut floors, taupe walls and a brighter version of burgandy for the accent wall. Thanks for the help in thinking it out!!!! I'm on-call this weekend at home since last night. Only had 3 calls so far today in the 9 o'clock hr, nothing since so I'm gonna put some things into the garage that I'll be taking to the Salvation Army store tomorrow. Soon I'l have to put the 40g in there to spray paint the back black. I think that would be a better choice with black mini gravel and the grey of the skimmer. Flowers should stand out.

I know timing is tight, but have you considering tiling where the tanks are going to be? Alternatively, you could even do the whole floor in tile that looks like wood planks.

No, I figured laminate would be alright. I won't have a sump anywhere so won't have any extra water flowing anywhere. And there are outlets all over the room so don't know yet where I'll place them. And Lowes can put laminate down in 2 days so I'll be fine.

It's laminate so won't be a real wood floor but I loved the walnut and will have to do that. I will though eventually use vinyl tile in the 2.5 baths and kitchen. All in time, I can't do it all right away but main floor and paint has to be done downstairs. The rest can wait.

Update on my housing.

Inspection done. 2 minor things, 1 door doesn't close upstairs but I'm sure that's just the lock mechanism and then the oven in the kitchen is hooked up but was not secured to the wall so if pulled on it could fall on a small child or something, of which I have none.

Gas inspector didn't come on time so they have to still come out & make sure all is fine w/ the water heater.

Got appraisal in my email today. It appraised what I bought it for exactly, so at least I didn't pay over. I'll take it.

Lowes came & measured my floor yesterday so soon I'll have to order it once I get a couple questions answered tomorrow. I received an email estimate but I don't know if it's just supplies that are taxed or the labor too? I have no idea how it works as taxes were not added yet, or delivery charges, or White Goods Tax, which I need to find out what that is but they mentioned it.

So, things are moving along.

Update on my housing.

Inspection done. 2 minor things, 1 door doesn't close upstairs but I'm sure that's just the lock mechanism and then the oven in the kitchen is hooked up but was not secured to the wall so if pulled on it could fall on a small child or something, of which I have none.

Gas inspector didn't come on time so they have to still come out & make sure all is fine w/ the water heater.

Got appraisal in my email today. It appraised what I bought it for exactly, so at least I didn't pay over. I'll take it.

Lowes came & measured my floor yesterday so soon I'll have to order it once I get a couple questions answered tomorrow. I received an email estimate but I don't know if it's just supplies that are taxed or the labor too? I have no idea how it works as taxes were not added yet, or delivery charges, or White Goods Tax, which I need to find out what that is but they mentioned it.

So, things are moving along.

Very exciting, Annette! You are inspiring me to do some painting. Which I absolutely HATE to paint LOL. I'm ready to change my kitchen color though. Just not sure what to change it to. I need to get on Pinterest for some ideas :).

Glad I can inspire. I know the month will go by fast. This last weekend I was on-call, am now and return the pager to the next person tomorrow morning. Saturday I'm going for a morning hike then seeing the Peanuts movie at at 4:30 matinee so that day I won't be doing anything. Really looking forward to the movie. I started an anti-depressant again that I was on before. I stopped when I was doing paleo as I felt so fantastic but then when I let up I started feeling bad again and that's for sure what I don't need to be feeling while I have these changes happening in my life and dealing w/ holidays and leaving this home where we had so much joy. I updated my landlord about my closing date on 12/18 and hope it remains that date.

So cool, the estimate turned out awesome for the flooring. When you do a change of address the post office has a packet and there's a 10% off coupon. So, my flooring estimate now is 1720. That is awesome. I'm very very very excited about my floor.

Went to the bank to get them some copies of deposits they needed, anything that's not a paycheck basically they need to know what the deposit was. I can understand larger sums from the garage sale, but asking what a $30 deposit is, is ridiculous. Having to get a copy of the deposit slip is stupid, it says nothing more than my bank statement did...but I do as I'm told.

Bought the spray paint for the 40g so I'll have to get it into the garage tomorrow or Sun and take care of that. I think it has to be 55 or warmer or something. Cutting it close. Then I'll have to protect it well in the move so it doesn't scratch up.

Good to hear things are moving along and working out for you!

Post some pics of the floor when it is done that walnut looks like it will look good.

Good to hear things are moving along and working out for you!

Post some pics of the floor when it is done that walnut looks like it will look good.

I will. The floor will not be able to be put in til it acclimates for 2-3 days in the home after closing. Luckily, they said it would only take a day to put in. Then after that I can immediately bring my stand and my 40g over so it can start cycling. I'll use the rocks from the 20 and 10 that have no corals on them to get the biology going w/ the substrate. Luckily, I think since the 10g is small enough, I think I can just remove 2/3 of the water and set it in a bin and move it over, put it on the kitchen counter, plug it in and move on so there's the least amount of harm to the acid bta. That Nameless & Shameless tank only began in July so substrate doesn't need to be touched.

Yeah, the 10, 20 and 40 to put up and the 34 will go into storage in my only walk-in. You never know if you have a mishap and you need a spare tank right away.

Next Saturday is to be the warmest day of the next 10 days at 59 so that's the day I must spray paint the 40g in the garage. Running out of warm time.

59 :D you need a little heat in that garage.....do you have a space heater?

I have a infra red nat gas one in mine plus a portable electric on the floor when I am working at my bench......it makes it nice in there.

Archived