Cultivated Reef

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Cut the Hostas way back before you dig them.

I've always liked Coral Bells, but they don't do very well here either...in fact lots of stuff won't grow here. But Hosta's need some shade, hence they do better under trees.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, Yes, was told to definitely cut them down before splitting. I need to find out how to best split them because they're huge. 2 forks? spades?

I try to use 2 garden forks, but have even resorted to a butcher knife when I have let them get too thick.

I'll have to try that. That's the direction I was thinking, just wanted to be sure. These are very thick and much bigger than your regular variety.

So with my future closing of 12/15, I have so much to do. Don't feel I want to take care of all 4 tanks and want to consolidate.

the 40g, which replaced the 60g I'm trying to sell in my local club or local aquarium shop soon.

Thinking of getting another Kessil and putting 2 Kessils over it instead of the Maxspect and using for rfas, sea stars, urchins & conchs. Keeping it simple with the BH-90 HOB Reef Octopus & Macros.

the 20g Gertie tank along w/ royal gramma

I love the simplicity of it, I just need new sand, like the coarse stuff in Shameless & Nameless. It'll be 2 yrs shortly for that tank so perfect time to change out the sand. I love the shape and plan on removing another curlique anemone from the 34 and putting it in here, just can't find my frag kit for mos now to get it out while it's small and it's on the back of a zoa/war coral rock.

10g and 34g

I have the corals in the 34- Gena's lovely toadstool, large duncan which I love, zoas, 2 wellsos, with 4 fish and some kind of noisy pistol/caribbean shrimp and large brittle star.

I have the most recent 10g Shameless & Nameless with the acid bta, 2 froggies and some shrooms, gorgs and double d palys and trying to revive a trumpet coral. Love it as it's simple & small and perfect home for the bta. The clowns could actually go in there.

That's where my problem lies. These last 2 tanks. I'm considering putting the 34g in the closet for storage.

Feel I'm done w/ the fuge/sump thing, want to keep it simple and have less noise.

I just don't know. I do know I need to order some salt and some Aptasia Rx. It's getting better in my 34, they're not as big or plentiful. My local club is worthless for selling. They all want everything for free it seems. So I don't feel I want to sell it to them. I don't know why but people locally don't seem to appreciate and be willing to pay reasonably for corals like people here. It's odd.

4 tanks is definitely a lot. Just the thought of moving them is tough. I like your idea of keeping the biggest one and the most unique one.

It's difficult as there are things I love about all the tanks. I love the 10 w/ it's white back that I painted. I guess I need to paint the back of the 40g before I move for sure. I don't want to give any of these up, that's the hard part.

I'm leery having the bta in my 34 as my previous bta died in the 34. It didn't like something. But this one loves it in my 10g. I also have the coral banded shrimp in my 10g. I'd like to buy a bimaculatus blenny for the 10g so maybe I need to put the clowns and 6line w/ the rock flowers. Guess I'd have to leave the goby and caribbean pistol in there too. I don't think a pistol and goby would be good w/ the coral banded shrimp. I don't want competing shrimp like that in a 10g.

If I'm removing the rock flowers then I'll have room for I guess the toadstool and duncans into Gertie's tank. Her tank is half cheapo marineland light strip on the left and then a coral comp bulb on the right so they should do fine in there under that bulb on the right.

Decisions, decisions.

I need to get out a notepad, seriously figure this out.

It's difficult as there are things I love about all the tanks. I love the 10 w/ it's white back that I painted. I guess I need to paint the back of the 40g before I move for sure. I don't want to give any of these up, that's the hard part.

I'm leery having the bta in my 34 as my previous bta died in the 34. It didn't like something. But this one loves it in my 10g. I also have the coral banded shrimp in my 10g. I'd like to buy a bimaculatus blenny for the 10g so maybe I need to put the clowns and 6line w/ the rock flowers. Guess I'd have to leave the goby and caribbean pistol in there too. I don't think a pistol and goby would be good w/ the coral banded shrimp. I don't want competing shrimp like that in a 10g.

If I'm removing the rock flowers then I'll have room for I guess the toadstool and duncans into Gertie's tank. Her tank is half cheapo marineland light strip on the left and then a coral comp bulb on the right so they should do fine in there under that bulb on the right.

Decisions, decisions.

I need to get out a notepad, seriously figure this out.

I have fewer tanks... But I know exactly how you feel!!

I have fewer tanks... But I know exactly how you feel!!

I know, I'm trying to make it easier on myself and still enjoy the hobby.

Hmmm... purple/green chalice & gorg from 34 into 10g. I'd have to leave the clam under the Kessils in the 40.

So I think it's going to happen that I can remove the 34g and keep it for safe keeping in a closet in a 3rd bedroom, or later outdoor shed.

40G
RFAs, clowns, goby/pistol, 6line, serpent stars, conchs & clam.
20G Gertie/Gramma
remove rfas, add toadstool, duncans from 34. Toadstool should help keep Gertie's tank clean, right? Aren't they good filters?
10g Shameless & Nameless
As is plus purple/green chalice, wellsos, gorg & grandis paly from 34, as well as superman shroom, black shroom and a rock that has 3 of the black shrooms on it. They'll be more room once I remove the excess rock from it into the 40 (what was leftover from fuges in 34 and 60). I still want to make it look as minimal as somehow possible.
Leaves me w/ the fuzzy mushroom rock that recently split into 2, then 2 rocks each that have both zoas and war coral on each. At least I narrowed it down to just those 3 large rocks. I can probably sell the fuzzy mushroom rock. As large as it was the clowns never paid attention to it, nor the large duncans, nor the toadstool. If I have room in the 40, until I figure it out, maybe I'll just leave the 2 zoa war coral rocks in there.
I think I just did pretty good for one evening. SO, yep, 34 is out for storage. 40, 20, 10. 70g total. Oh, and my betta Sebastian died several days ago, don't know why.

I know, I'm trying to make it easier on myself and still enjoy the hobby.

Hmmm... purple/green chalice & gorg from 34 into 10g. I'd have to leave the clam under the Kessils in the 40.

So I think it's going to happen that I can remove the 34g and keep it for safe keeping in a closet in a 3rd bedroom, or later outdoor shed.

40G
RFAs, clowns, goby/pistol, 6line, serpent stars, conchs & clam.
20G Gertie/Gramma
remove rfas, add toadstool, duncans from 34. Toadstool should help keep Gertie's tank clean, right? Aren't they good filters?
10g Shameless & Nameless
As is plus purple/green chalice, wellsos, gorg & grandis paly from 34, as well as superman shroom, black shroom and a rock that has 3 of the black shrooms on it. They'll be more room once I remove the excess rock from it into the 40 (what was leftover from fuges in 34 and 60). I still want to make it look as minimal as somehow possible.
Leaves me w/ the fuzzy mushroom rock that recently split into 2, then 2 rocks each that have both zoas and war coral on each. At least I narrowed it down to just those 3 large rocks. I can probably sell the fuzzy mushroom rock. As large as it was the clowns never paid attention to it, nor the large duncans, nor the toadstool. If I have room in the 40, until I figure it out, maybe I'll just leave the 2 zoa war coral rocks in there.
I think I just did pretty good for one evening. SO, yep, 34 is out for storage. 40, 20, 10. 70g total. Oh, and my betta Sebastian died several days ago, don't know why.

Boy! that was a lot of figuring to get it all planned out! Sounds good and will be a lot less work in the long run. Am looking forward to seeing it all come together for you. The new house, property and landscaping. The tanks. All very stressful I am sure but also very exciting. A new chapter for you. Sorry about +Sebastian. He was a sweet and pretty little guy.

I haven't posted tank pics in a good long while. I have salt and Aptasia Rx coming tomorrow. I need to get rid of the aptasia. Better than it was but in consolidating and bringing over to the next home..I don't want to sell the 2 rocks w/ aptasia visibly on them or bring it over to their new home.

20151003_201806_zpscujugsae.jpg

20151003_201821_zpsbtzqislf.jpg

20151003_201845_zpsbpmb36ck.jpg

20151003_201910_zpsoy49tqfb.jpg

20151003_202001_zpsr1a5fh61.jpg

20151003_202154_zpsh0jronqu.jpg

20151003_202158_zpsyuu70mbq.jpg

20151003_202609_zps8dy25ovv.jpg

20151003_202617_zpsfd9cnxww.jpg

And 2 babies that have been here a good long while but aren't growing. And of course, aptasia right near them. This is the longest I've seen babies, they're just remaining that size.

20151003_202132_zpsjbnc4vhq.jpg

They started out as 3 heads, now there are 11. They like the Kessil and their location.

Here are some more pics. Got this 3 from a place that I guess no longer exists but I'm sure Ninja, you can let me know. It was a place online, in Illinois, Peoria?

20151003_212243_zps8asiyr1v.jpg

There's a rim of green on the bottom of this one which isn't showing through.

20151003_212306_zpsuheclmpr.jpg

A nem attached to the rock Lil' Bit is on.

20151003_212332_zps1wv0gffr.jpg

20151003_212351_zpskkr0wloa.jpg

20151003_212406_zpsdnpfppyq.jpg

20151003_212549_zpssmt4mhuk.jpg

yea, that ebay seller closed down. sad cuz i really liked her stuff.

Yeah, had great prices. $12 for a zoa frag! I waited so long and looked so hard for the grandis paly and was so happy when I found it. It was $35 for 3 heads. I jumped on it. I love how they're all a little different.

Got some Aptasia-X, thought I bought Aptasia Rx, what's the difference and is one better than the other? I have 3 small ones on one rock in Gertie's tank but many per rock in this tank. I'm gonna see if I can just do one rock per day in this tank. Don't want to muddy up the water.

I LOVE how well that teeny little clam is doing for you! That's the size I would get if I can find one :).

it's like 1.25" now. It's still so darn cute.

Sure did.

I'll have to watch out for any new clam listings that they have :). I like that their shipping is a flat rate of $24.99. That is NICE!

I'll have to watch out for any new clam listings that they have :). I like that their shipping is a flat rate of $24.99. That is NICE!

Wow, I didn't realize their shipping had gone down. When I was ordering it was still like $50. That's awesome. And clammy at the time was only 19.99. She's been so healthy, you remember I had her in my Evolve when she was so tiny.

Wow, I didn't realize their shipping had gone down. When I was ordering it was still like $50. That's awesome. And clammy at the time was only 19.99. She's been so healthy, you remember I had her in my Evolve when she was so tiny.

I do remember :). With the cheap shipping they may no longer have $19.99 clams though. If they did, that would be awesome!

Wonderful pictures of your tank! I love the grandis palys so much. Yours are beautiful! Mine are budding a lot since I got them. Thanks for introducing me to them! And all the nems! Such a beautiful boquet and variety. So pretty. I am going to set up a 10 gallon in my bedroom soon and can not decide what to put in it. I want things in there I am not brave enough to put into my display tank. Like a brittle star, hermit crabs and Xenia. No sps unless they are frags I am growing out to trade at fish store. I would like lots of RFA's and maybe a clam or bubble tip. I cant decide. Your tanks are inspirational!

Tragedy overnight. Woke up to the most unique rfa next to the small wellso. Wellso won. I hope it makes it. Looks really awful. Not happy about this. Even more reason to put the brains in the 10g. I can't believe it.

20151003_212406_zpsdnpfppyq.jpg

20151004_142758_zpslcqkugtr.jpg

Wonderful pictures of your tank! I love the grandis palys so much. Yours are beautiful! Mine are budding a lot since I got them. Thanks for introducing me to them! And all the nems! Such a beautiful boquet and variety. So pretty. I am going to set up a 10 gallon in my bedroom soon and can not decide what to put in it. I want things in there I am not brave enough to put into my display tank. Like a brittle star, hermit crabs and Xenia. No sps unless they are frags I am growing out to trade at fish store. I would like lots of RFA's and maybe a clam or bubble tip. I cant decide. Your tanks are inspirational!

Ty, lights just turned on and I saw the badness. : (

Archived