Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Maiden's Voyage- town house pics, getting more organized

FlowerMama

Ugh Annette. How frustrating. I hope a new property falls into your lap.

Thanks, I have 3 I'm looking at tomorrow. It's hard because I don't have money to put down so a USDA loan is what I have and the builder is paying closing costs. Just hard to find a nice, normal property, everything is oddly shaped or if it looks ok then it says there are housing assoc fees. But something has to be out there.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did some much needed maintenance today. Last weekend I did a 10 g water change, today I did same after having 10 nitrates. The little skimmer stopped so I have to take it apart and clean it, then I'll just put it on Gert's tank.

I put up the BH90 HOB Classic to break it in before a move later. Figure I have time and a dirty 34g so I'll be curious to see what I have by tonight. Turned it on at 6.

20151018_180019_zpsa6n2epd0.jpg

I'm leftover w/ a big fatter tube and there were no instructions for it so I don't know where it goes. No instructions either in the coral vue video for this skimmer.

I also, finally, removed the 10g refugium from under the tank. I still had half water in it and no heater and evaporation but dang, still had some small pieces of grape macro that were still red in there. That's some tough shit. It's been mos. No grapes on it but good stalk. So only one piece was salvageable, only a stalk of 4 inches, no grapes. I threw it in my 10g. we'll see.

The Reef Octopus BH90 HOB Skimmer is doing extremely well, About 1/8" of dark skimmate. It's doing better than the In sump Reef Octopus NWB100 I had for the 60g. I never found the sweet spot in that one and though this one was only started 27 hrs ago I feel it's already pulling better. I think this one will be easier to regulate than the turn knob in the NWB110.

And I told the land broker to check on another piece of property. It's a dual listed one which stinks because it can't help or hurt either side. No septic or water so I'm hoping they can agree to bring the price down since work has to be done. The property just went on sale like 26 days ago and there are 3 others next to it, same w/ them. So I hope that helps my chances. Kinda weird for someone to post beginning of October, hope that means they really want to sell it and are willing to have it go for a good price.

Holy moly....that skimmer omgomgomg. That's exactly what I would want if I was going to get one!!!!!! I didn't know they even made those. The pump isn't in the tank but on the outside which is awesome. When/where did you get that one? I've been thinking it would be nice to have a skimmer for my tank (overstocked on fish) but didn't think there were any options for me until I saw this :).

Do you get tiny bubbles in your tank from it?

Holy moly....that skimmer omgomgomg. That's exactly what I would want if I was going to get one!!!!!! I didn't know they even made those. The pump isn't in the tank but on the outside which is awesome. When/where did you get that one? I've been thinking it would be nice to have a skimmer for my tank (overstocked on fish) but didn't think there were any options for me until I saw this :).

Do you get tiny bubbles in your tank from it?

Got it from Amazon Feb or March 2014. Just hadn't used it yet. No microbubbles so far but the foamies surround the output help prevent it.

48 hrs later

20151020_193105_zpso5tklifi.jpg

The input/out cages sit 3" and 5" from the water level.

20151020_193030_zpsuxyvnlqb.jpg

Nice! I looked it up. So pricey! I'm trying to keep things simple so gonna just stick with my water changes :).

If I get totally fed up I at least know I have an option now!

Well, very impressed w/ this skimmer! Had it on since Mon at like 6pm. I still have it full throttle like they said. I never had anything this dark before, not even w/ the infuge 110 in my 60g. I see no reason to change anything w/ this setting at all. It's wide on open for now. And no bubbles in the tank.

20151022_220602_zps3jw1b3ge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this tank is 2 yrs old today. Time flies. And then means I found Gertie today!!!!! Yey Gertie!

LOOK at the SCARY NASTINESS my skimmer brought up since I put it 2 wks this coming Monday. I haven't changed the flow or cleaned it. I know I already mentioned it, but this HOB Reef Octopus skimmer is really outdoing the in sump one I had for the 60. I'm so pleased. I do though have to buy new pumps for the 40g once I get that going. Right now my friend is gonna let me borrow her Hydor Kor 750s since these Jebao WP25s just lost their zip after 2 yrs, no cleaning makes a difference, 2 wks later they're slow and they barely move water or work across the settings.

20151031_231710_zpse6n0lfzx.jpg

OH, and taking the future housing situation in a new direction. I can't find a damn piece of land that is close to buildable, all really steep slopes to the flat part where the house is to be OR it's 45 mins away. So I spent time looking at listings that are still in USDA eligible areas.

I'll call Mon to the mortgage company to make sure I can still use the loan for that and if so I'll call the modular company same day and say we're done. Then I'll email my friend 4 listings I found. Her husband is a realtor, and sold my parents house (and found them a new one). I have to go w/ my gut and it says no now and I want to be in a house before the year is over. WISH ME LUCK on this new adventure.

The listings I'm looking at are as recent as 4 days to 110 days on the market and .22-.47 acres, perfect for just me and a dog that doesn't like to be outside anyway. And all would be coming in less than what the cost of the modular was going to be and 2 of them have garages. Sadly, none show the laundry in pictures so I'm sure it's small.

I'm exhausted today as my mother & I packed up my garage, brought 2 carloads to the Salvation Army. Then I was too late in bringing some things to a donation medical supply place by 15 mins so I came home and emptied the back of the Subaru and put it back in the garage. Then I packed up the Subaru trunk with things for a consignment shop to find out you can only bring one bin at a time every 2 wks, takes a month before it's shown and then in 2 mos I need to pick it up or it becomes permanent property and I get nothing. So I'll probably have to make 2 more trips for sure to drop off things. So then I had to bring it back home and put it BACK in the garage once again. I'm tired & going to bed. I went to a 90s themed Halloween party last weekend which is good because I'm really tired and going to bed and my tummy hurts a little. BUT...the car is back in the garage, though I'll have to put it back outside as I want to paint the back of the 40 I'll be using for the flower tank. I'll be painting it black since the skimmer in the tank is grey. Then I'll have to protect it so it doesn't get scratched during the move later.

Wishing you LOTS of luck with the house hunting. Whether you build or buy an existing house...it's all new and exciting :).

And that's some spooky sludge coming out of your tank :happydance:. The only time anyone should do a happy dance about sludge LOL.

Sure sounds like you've been busy!! Good luck with the house hunt!

Thanks. Hoping I get the answer I need to move on tomorrow.

Wishing you LOTS of luck with the house hunting. Whether you build or buy an existing house...it's all new and exciting :).

And that's some spooky sludge coming out of your tank :happydance:. The only time anyone should do a happy dance about sludge LOL.

Thank You. I'm really hoping to be in before Christmas. It would be such a wonderful gift to myself to have a Christmas fresh w/ o sad memories w/ Don in this house and start the New Year off in a new home.

So what power head(s)s should I get for my 40g? I'm borrowing my friend's Hydor Koralia Evo 750 and one definitely seems strong enough no problem, however it IS big. I love the Hydor 425s in my 10g and the 2 in 20g w/ Gertie. They're never ever given up strength so Jebao is defintely out of the picture for me. I just can't bring myself to buy the Vortech WP10 due to price and the reviews are like 3.5-4 stores outta 5.

The product dimensions for the Tunze 6015 are 3.5 x 1.5 x 2.7 inches so smaller by 3".

Would one on each end facing each other work fine?

It's just flowers so they don't need tons of flow like sps do.

I'm just leary of Tunze after my issues w/ their ATOs over & over again.

http://www.amazon.com/Tunze-USA-6015-000-Propeller-475-Gallon/dp/B00GPSM5HM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41fBZZC7N%2BL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0WZT1W2TRPJCK13KPDR5

Thank You. I'm really hoping to be in before Christmas. It would be such a wonderful gift to myself to have a Christmas fresh w/ o sad memories w/ Don in this house and start the New Year off in a new home.

That would be awesome to be in a new place for Christmas!!! I hope it works out that way :flower:.

As far as powerheads...the Vortechs definitely have the aesthetic appeal. I've bought 3 in my reefing career and not regretted spending the money on any of them. I'm not familiar with the others on the market. I'm sure any will work. The problem is if you like the way it looks? They all seem to be pretty big other than the vortechs.

Yeah. I'd only need one Vortech, right? I've just reminded myself that I'll have bonus money when they said I'd have a job until 11/30 only, then they said my job would not be eliminated and I'll still get the bonus. so I'd get that one paycheck 2 wks later. Guess I could do that. If you all believe that would be the best way to go.

Yeah. I'd only need one Vortech, right? I've just reminded myself that I'll have bonus money when they said I'd have a job until 11/30 only, then they said my job would not be eliminated and I'll still get the bonus. so I'd get that one paycheck 2 wks later. Guess I could do that. If you all believe that would be the best way to go.

Yep...I think one would do it. Here's a nifty calculator you can use too :).

http://ecotechmarine.com/calculator/

If you have the money, it's definitely worth the price. Aesthetically it's everything you would want in my opinion. But if you aren't concerned about a big power head in the tank, go with the Koralia. You don't necessarily need fancy flow for rock anemones :).

Right, that's why I'm teetering. It's flowers. How long has anyone had their MP10? I just want to know if I spend $80 lets say every 2 yrs and that's only 160 for 4 yrs and I pay for an MP10 and it lasts 4 and I paid $285. You know? it's that kind of game. Cuz honestly, I'd rather save some money and snuba often and go on some cruises. I want my life to be more about experiences to remember than be so trapped financially and not be able to enjoy anything. Being single, I'm already strapped financially.

NOPE on the houses today. One looked great, head on. When you got there it was Sanford & Son neighbors, junk everywhere and across the street.

But seeing my friend's realtor husband was great, he made some good points. I'm going to stick with, if I can, what is closer or same to work, and include condos/townhouses too as I'm there more often than at my parents. And forgetting the type of loan, finding something first, then seeing what loan will work. I feel more open to options now.

My first mp10 I purchased, and still have, was when they JUST came out. I don't know what year that was. 2007 or 2008??? I've only had to replace the wet side because of a snail. Otherwise I haven't had any problems (knock on wood). Not sure if the quality has gone down since then. Seems like I hear more now about that. I have a new mp10 that I bought last year and haven't had any issues yet. The other one I had was an mp20, which they don't make anymore. No problems with that one either. I sold that one a few years ago.

I'm glad you have more options now for real estate!!!!! Sounds like you will get your place by Christmas fingerscrossed.

Yeah, was told to get my papers to their mortgage person that I already had from the previous, all the W2, IRS etc and then of course recent pay stubs and bank statements. Said once I find a few properties I'll call him and in 1-2 days of showing I should be able to bid and 30-45 days later have a closing. So, I am assuming I'll only have to pay Dec rent and that's it.

I did bring down my price for a home, I might have to include townhouses in looking though. Things are also changing in the pharmacy world that impact my workplace directly and what if I don't have a job in 2 yrs? So I've dropped down to look at ones a little cheaper and consider 2BR as well. I can't bring myself to look at condos though for high assoc fees and for what? I'd rather pay towards the balance on a home. Will just have to keep looking. The bad thing is the main realtor's public site crashed Sun/Mon and they're trying to restore it still, so that will impact the searching for everyone. I did find a cute one but it's for sale by owner and I don't feel I have time to do it on my own. Feel I need a realtor.

Just got caught up. So sorry to hear about your housing troubles. My biggest mistake in life is buying my condo. HOA fees go up every year. Stupid restrictions and laws. I bought a house and how never to buy something with HOA. A lot of townhouses have HOA too though. The best decision I made was finding a great realtor. She took the stress out of everything and walked us through all the details. Just make sure you find a good one if you decide to get one. Someone that listens to your wants and needs and not just trying to get you to buy. There's no cost to you ij having a realtor. They have years of experience and can save you from making costly mistakes...but again depending if you find a trustworthy one.

Yeah, was told to get my papers to their mortgage person that I already had from the previous, all the W2, IRS etc and then of course recent pay stubs and bank statements. Said once I find a few properties I'll call him and in 1-2 days of showing I should be able to bid and 30-45 days later have a closing. So, I am assuming I'll only have to pay Dec rent and that's it.

I did bring down my price for a home, I might have to include townhouses in looking though. Things are also changing in the pharmacy world that impact my workplace directly and what if I don't have a job in 2 yrs? So I've dropped down to look at ones a little cheaper and consider 2BR as well. I can't bring myself to look at condos though for high assoc fees and for what? I'd rather pay towards the balance on a home. Will just have to keep looking. The bad thing is the main realtor's public site crashed Sun/Mon and they're trying to restore it still, so that will impact the searching for everyone. I did find a cute one but it's for sale by owner and I don't feel I have time to do it on my own. Feel I need a realtor.

That's very smart and responsible to consider the financial future when looking for your dream home :). It's out there Annette!!!! I hope you find it soon!!!!

Can you tell your realtor about the one by owner? Maybe they could work that like they would a house that is listed with a realtor. I'm sure they'd know what to do to make it easier for you if you really like it (on the outside at least).

Good points. Yeah, this realtor is my friend's husband. He sold my parents home and helped them find one, was exceptional friend w/ my belated husband, very respectable guy.

It's hard to find a home around here between 125- 155 that is what I'm looking for, that is not a manufactured home, they were all older than what I was looking for so far. I found 4 townhomes w/ assoc fees 60-115 built 2005-2007, unlike some condos that are outrageous that were 185-225 monthly. Once the realtor's site comes back up I have 4 homes to check on. Yeah, I'd rather put money into a house than an assoc fee but it's also me needing to stay at a level I feel secure at. My rent here was increased to 950 a month and I'm not good with that at all. All the options listed would save me 100-150 a month from rent. I would definitely have more options if I had another income sharing with me.

Also I'm trying to keep in mind, this pharmacy world is crazy and it affects my job. If Walgreens succeeds in buying Rite Aid one part of our business is gone, while another part grows and these things directly affect me so I have to look at what if things change, and I don't have this job 2 yrs from now.

So far this week I looked at 2 homes & took them off the list. I have yet to look at 2 condos, 3 town homes and 4 houses to look at the remainder of the week. If I can work this out then I can move before there's snow on the ground and right before this year is over, and.....start fresh. I know it doesn't mean I should settle, however I'm sadly single and it's just me, maybe having a house would have been too much for me. I have plenty to do with my tanks on the weekend, when would I have time to mow grass??

So much to think about so this Maiden can move forward in life and leave behind this rented duplex she had w/ her soul mate.

And you know what sucks? Not having someone here to talk over the pros/cons with, just my mom and dad when me meet up and on the phone. I know, unfortunately, that I can talk myself and rationalize decisions in every direction.

Archived