Coral Vue Hydros

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

Of the whole damn tank. :lol:

:lol: Im working on it...still waiting on some coral

So you added LEDs on top of everything else?

Yep :happy: Tank finally has nice transition from deep to shallow and back to deep water look throughout the day.

So dope!!!!

Thanks man im really happy with the addition

Hybrids are the way to go, get the best of all worlds.

Couldnt agree with you more :)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Yep :happy: Tank finally has nice transition from deep to shallow and back to deep water look throughout the day.

Oh good heavens, you're gonna fry what you've got in there if you're not careful! lol

13up boards ;)

Thanks again for choosing Nano Box Eugene! Can't wait to see more photos.

-Dave

Whoops my bad typo

No worries dave...thanks for taking on the challenge and helping resolve issues.

combo_1-2_zps7282ee4d.jpg

ledmod-2_zpse77c437a.jpg

Oh good heavens, you're gonna fry what you've got in there if you're not careful! lol

:lol: Your right its definitely alot of light but i have everything dialed back considerably

• Like 10

Pure YUMMIE-ness! B) <--- This is you around that beast of a light. Gonna hafta wear some shades Cool-E!

Hey DC long time no talk hows the tank? Yea im really psyched that everythings finally working. Ive always wanted a fixture like this. I love being able to have the best of all my favorite lighting. Shimmer and natural look of a 10k halide, the controllability and the intense florescence provided by blue LEDS and the even lighting and flexibility of T5's.

B):D

Oh. My. God.

:D

Shoulda had him take four of his boards and put them in to replace the halide, leave the reflector in and all :)

ah theres no LED combo out there that can quite replicate the look of a 10k halide IMHO

Can't choose just one type of lighting? Use them all!

I know :D Its the best to be able to exploit the strengths and what I love about each technology

• Like 1
jedimasterben

ah theres no LED combo out there that can quite replicate the look of a 10k halide IMHO

It's really not that difficult honestly, just takes some trial and error. :)

• Like 2

It's really not that difficult honestly, just takes some trial and error. :)

Ive seen some setups that come close but in real life compared side to side...halide takes the cake IMHO. It could be me though im really picky....

jedimasterben

Ive seen some setups that come close but in real life compared side to side...halide takes the cake IMHO. It could be me though im really picky....

I'd love to have some custom multichips made, then get a metal halide and two big reflectors, put the halide in one and the LED array in the other, applying a diffuser mask to the underside to obscure them, and have people attempt to figure out which is which just on look alone. It would be really hard to tell, and with a few button pushes and a bulb swap I can change the look to match another. ;)

I'd love to have some custom multichips made, then get a metal halide and two big reflectors, put the halide in one and the LED array in the other, applying a diffuser mask to the underside to obscure them, and have people attempt to figure out which is which just on look alone. It would be really hard to tell, and with a few button pushes and a bulb swap I can change the look to match another. ;)

Yea most reefers wouldnt be able to tell....But my eyes are pretty keen to the aesthetic differences. Id be able to tell pretty quickly just from the "nervousness" of the shimmer lines produced by leds.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Yea most reefers wouldnt be able to tell....But my eyes are pretty keen to the aesthetic differences. Id be able to tell pretty quickly just from the "nervousness" of the shimmer lines produced by leds.

As long as the aforementioned masking diffuser is more than an inch away from the LEDs, there will be no separation of colors, even under high surface agitation. :)

Of every thing !!!!! :);)

Coming right up :);)

As long as the aforementioned masking diffuser is more than an inch away from the LEDs, there will be no separation of colors, even under high surface agitation. :)

Well im not referring to the "disco ball effect" that could be seen on the sandbed (which was prevalent in LED fixtures before the inclusion of masking diffusers) but rather the inherent characteristic of the shimmer lines they produce...IMO its a bit more "nervous" when compared to halides. Again its a rather minor difference but noticeable. :)

• Like 1

I agree...MH has a thing of it's own that is as close to true sunlight with a 10k...dat shimmah and the way the corals look and the shadows the fish cast :wub: .

I'm sure that someone could make a pretty close replica with LED but it will def have the nervous shimmer rather than the calmer ones MH gives....relaxing LOL

Well I think that is why I am in love with the Kessil LED's E. the shimmer is ridiculous and no disco ball effect.

I would love a FTS again :flower:

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Well im not referring to the "disco ball effect" that could be seen on the sandbed (which was prevalent in LED fixtures before the inclusion of masking diffusers) but rather the inherent characteristic of the shimmer lines they produce...IMO its a bit more "nervous" when compared to halides. Again its a rather minor difference but noticeable. :)

That's actually not an issue with LEDs per se, but with the lenses/reflectors used on them. The tighter the beam they form, the worse it gets. If you've never seen LEDs when put into an old halide reflector, it'll change your life :lol:

I agree...MH has a thing of it's own that is as close to true sunlight with a 10k...dat shimmah and the way the corals look and the shadows the fish cast :wub: .

I'm sure that someone could make a pretty close replica with LED but it will def have the nervous shimmer rather than the calmer ones MH gives....relaxing LOL

Well I think that is why I am in love with the Kessil LED's E. the shimmer is ridiculous and no disco ball effect.

I would love a FTS again :flower:

Thats been my observations as well m. I totally agree about kessils coming the closest to replicating a traditional halide bulb but even their shimmer,while great, isn't quite as natural looking as a halide at least when compared side by side. But again thats probably just me being super picky :P

I should have one soon :):flower::flower:

That's actually not an issue with LEDs per se, but with the lenses/reflectors used on them. The tighter the beam they form, the worse it gets. If you've never seen LEDs when put into an old halide reflector, it'll change your life :lol:

Very true but i believe it comes down to there being more than one single point of light (cluster of LED's) while halide uses only one bulb.

jedimasterben

Very true but i believe it comes down to there being more than one single point of light (cluster of LED's) while halide uses only one bulb.

A halide bulb is far larger than a single LED diode, so that's a moot point ;)

And just think - the Luxeon Z LED is about 1/4 the size of the LEDs used in Dave's pucks with about 60-80% of the output. You can make an array so small that unless you're looking right at them it would be impossible to see any banding.