SaltCritters.com

Hypes Edgeless Ridge Islet-Complete

Rehype

I know! :happy:

Yea im trying my best not to get stung but honestly they are by no means aggressive.. they much rather swim away from your hand if your busy in the tank. Its only if they feel cornered or threatened do the spines go up.

Ill be sure to let you guys know if i get stung and what i did wrong to provoke it..

Yea they never seemed aggressive around me, the just like to hang out in holes and underneath overhangs in the reef and whatnot. The guy that guy stung put his hand somewhere it didn't belong. On wreck dives they are especially dangerous, always hiding out. A beautiful fish! but a nuisance to the Caribbean and the Bahamas!

• Like 2
NirvanaandTool

Attaboy Eugene!

Loving the Fuzzy! I still need to get one as my last D. Barberi (Hawaiian Dwarf Lion) didn't make it. Planned to be my next eventual fish.

Awesome pics too.

Welcome to my world of scorpionfish! Check out Lionfish Lair for tips on weaning them onto frozen.

In regards to getting stung, you really have to not be paying attention to the fish or pissing the fish off. My wasps would scurry away from me rather than threaten with spines. But if you do get stung, submerge your hand in hot but not boiling water to denature the proteins in the venom.

A beautiful fish! but a nuisance to the Caribbean and the Bahamas!

Agreed... hopefully the programs that were put into place help reduce their numbers

Man.. always love your tanks, rehype. Great work.

Thanks alot breezie I appreciate it.

I really like those dwarf lions. What are you feeding him?

So far hes eating gut loaded ghost shrimp

Attaboy Eugene!

Loving the Fuzzy! I still need to get one as my last D. Barberi (Hawaiian Dwarf Lion) didn't make it. Planned to be my next eventual fish.

Awesome pics too.

Welcome to my world of scorpionfish! Check out Lionfish Lair for tips on weaning them onto frozen.

In regards to getting stung, you really have to not be paying attention to the fish or pissing the fish off. My wasps would scurry away from me rather than threaten with spines. But if you do get stung, submerge your hand in hot but not boiling water to denature the proteins in the venom.

Thanks alot ralph! Im so glad i finally made the jump

Thanks ive been reading the site extensively for the last few weeks

Sorry to hear you lost yours. Id like to get a green Hawaiian but I need to find a female that might get along with my male dwarf

I agree thats been my experience as well. The male will either move away or stay completely still.

Okay last closeup

14883046800_66c84c3e86_b.jpg

• Like 10
NirvanaandTool

So far hes eating gut loaded ghost shrimp

Thanks alot ralph! Im so glad i finally made the jump

Thanks ive been reading the site extensively for the last few weeks

Sorry to hear you lost yours. Id like to get a green Hawaiian but I need to find a female that might get along with my male dwarf

I agree thats been my experience as well. The male will either move away or stay completely still.

Okay last closeup

I'm glad you made the jump too. All that pressuring from me finally paid off. :P

Ah nice. It's a really informative site - Greg and Renee really know their stuff on scorps. I feel like such a novice compared to them but I try to help out on there as much as I can. Notice the mantis article in the Library there by yours truly? ;)

Thanks, I may try to find another but I want a fuzzy first. I think the key is getting a fish that's feeding at the LFS. My barberi never seemed all that interested in any live foods but I don't know if the shipment to me from DD stressed it out? But IMO fuzzies are prettier as adults. Barberi's lose the green as they mature but keep the red eyes. DD has them pretty regularly though so you could snag a female from them.

Yours is 2-1/2" TL? Might be too small to properly sex yet. I think some of the smaller specimens exhibit features of both males and females so it might be better to wait til it is around 4" to try to figure it.

Oh keep the macros coming. They are too good not to post.

Oh man, I almost went that direction with my tank. I still might, such a hard decision. I like inverts a lot, but those dwarf lions are too cool.

Always liked these dwarf Lionfish. I've read that they can max out at 7", so that's a no-go for a small Nano (except on a temporary basis).

It'll be interesting to see how fast it grows.

They usually max out at 5 inches or so in aquariums.

I'm glad you made the jump too. All that pressuring from me finally paid off. :P

Ah nice. It's a really informative site - Greg and Renee really know their stuff on scorps. I feel like such a novice compared to them but I try to help out on there as much as I can. Notice the mantis article in the Library there by yours truly? ;)

Thanks, I may try to find another but I want a fuzzy first. I think the key is getting a fish that's feeding at the LFS. My barberi never seemed all that interested in any live foods but I don't know if the shipment to me from DD stressed it out? But IMO fuzzies are prettier as adults. Barberi's lose the green as they mature but keep the red eyes. DD has them pretty regularly though so you could snag a female from them.

Yours is 2-1/2" TL? Might be too small to properly sex yet. I think some of the smaller specimens exhibit features of both males and females so it might be better to wait til it is around 4" to try to figure it.

Oh keep the macros coming. They are too good not to post.

True :lol:

It really is a great site ive learned alot from reading through all their posts. I noticed your article.. very well written and informative.

Thats what I was worried about as well especially since my fuzzy wasn't eating at my LFS and he was there for nearly two weeks. However once I got him home he took live ghost shrimp right away. Hes actually 3 1/2" sorry for the typo.

Thanks man will do

Oh man, I almost went that direction with my tank. I still might, such a hard decision. I like inverts a lot, but those dwarf lions are too cool.

I know the feeling jason. I went back and forth for almost a year as i love keeping invertebrates and small fish but im sooooo glad i purchased one. They are truly unique..

NirvanaandTool

True :lol:

It really is a great site ive learned alot from reading through all their posts. I noticed your article.. very well written and informative.

Thats what I was worried about as well especially since my fuzzy wasn't eating at my LFS and he was there for nearly two weeks. However once I got him home he took live ghost shrimp right away. Hes actually 3 1/2" sorry for the typo.

Thanks man will do

I know the feeling jason. I went back and forth for almost a year as i love keeping invertebrates and small fish but im sooooo glad i purchased one. They are truly unique..

Thanks. Appreciate the kind words. I was supposed to write a full article on mantis shrimp but I never had the time so I did the FAQ as a stand-in. Still have it started on my Google Drive but never got around to finishing it. Someday maybe :lol:

Wow it didn't eat at all at the LFS? Were they feeding ghosts? Either way, I'm glad its doing good for you now. Now I need one, hopefully I can find one as red as yours or maybe a yellow.

Hmm 3-1/2 might be enough. I'm counting 6 stripes on the pectorals from the pics you've posted so it's probably a male.

Thanks. Appreciate the kind words. I was supposed to write a full article on mantis shrimp but I never had the time so I did the FAQ as a stand-in. Still have it started on my Google Drive but never got around to finishing it. Someday maybe :lol:

Wow it didn't eat at all at the LFS? Were they feeding ghosts? Either way, I'm glad its doing good for you now. Now I need one, hopefully I can find one as red as yours or maybe a yellow.

Hmm 3-1/2 might be enough. I'm counting 6 stripes on the pectorals from the pics you've posted so it's probably a male.

Yea they were trying to feed him frozen and he wasnt interested. Hes still not interested but im working on that ;) Yea his colors are so subtle but when you look close he has bits of yellow,red and brown.

That what I was thinking as well.

Wow. The details on this fish is just unbelievable. A mosaic of so many colors, shapes and textures. :wub:

I thought the same exact thing kat they are just stunning.

• Like 1
:wub: Gorgeous!!

Thanks tam!

Breathe taking I think, have you ever entered competitions... Earn coral money

Thanks alot cam but I don't my photos are at that level.

NirvanaandTool

Yea they were trying to feed him frozen and he wasnt interested. Hes still not interested but im working on that ;) Yea his colors are so subtle but when you look close he has bits of yellow,red and brown.

That what I was thinking as well.

I thought the same exact thing kat they are just stunning.

Try freezing a few ghost shrimp after you gut load them. Feed them out on a stealth stick. It's a good trick to get them off of live and learning to eat dead/frozen food. From there, I move to jumbo mysis shrimp and most fish make the transition immediately. After that, you can switch to other frozen foods like pieces of fish flesh, silversides, shrimp, squid, etc. My fish eat whatever I'm eating for dinner or catch fresh from the Jersey shore.

He definitely is a stunning fish. Would go for a pretty penny on DD.

Thanks tam!Thanks alot cam but I don't my photos are at that level.

Don't think so low of your talent. Every shot you post is breathtaking. You definitely have a ton of skill.

• Like 1
NirvanaandTool

What size tank would you need for a full grown wasp?

Depends on the species but for most I'd say a 20L is fine. Maybe 30 for a Cockatoo as they like to swim while begging. Wispy/Redfin would be fine in a 20. Ocellated if you can find one needs a 75 though thanks to that big wingspan.

I had 3 (Redfin, Wispy, & Cockatoo) in a 40B and had no problems. I was planning dwarf lionfish too but ended up upgrading to a 90g.