Cultivated Reef

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

What about the puppies???? :D So cool you guys had a meet-up!

I don't know how readily available they are, but the Visio aquariums are built like tanks lol. I've had 3 now and the quality is outstanding. Very solid. It's a southern California company though so maybe only available out here.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It really is a good idea. Would you have a back up tub or tank ready as fast as everyone's tanks seem to be having issues lately for the unsuspecting what-if.

Plastic tub reefing lives on!

19137705093_2b9370150b.jpg

An oily film is developing on the surface and algae starting to cover up the zoas. Other than that, things are doing well. Gave away all the sticks except the red planet cuz I couldn't break it off the rock.

Plastic tub reefing lives on!

19137705093_2b9370150b.jpg

An oily film is developing on the surface and algae starting to cover up the zoas. Other than that, things are doing well. Gave away all the sticks except the red planet cuz I couldn't break it off the rock.

To break up that oily film throw in a pump pointed at the surface, that should at least help some.

To break up that oily film throw in a pump pointed at the surface, that should at least help some.

yea, i had two pumps going before but had to move one back to the tank to cycle some water and test out the seal. hopefully tomorrow i can move everything back to the tank.

HarryPotter

Your tub is on point! Love it.

Is that a NanoBox duo above it? You definitely need to share on FB "NanoBox- makes an emergency tub a sexy grow out tank" :lol:

I need help. I can't decide on my next tank. Here are my options:

A. Deep Blue 34g shallow with sump

• Love the shallow dimension
  • Sump will give me more water volume and more display area
  • Sump will give me more room for beefier skimmer because I want to feed a lot =)
  • but....
  • I don't know anything about plumbing a sump
  • I am scared of potential flooding if I screw up the install
  • More expensive option at $300 for tank, $250 for stand, $100-$150 for sump, $50 for misc pumps / plumbing

B. Fusion 30L

• I am comfortable with AIO, and it seems easier to set up than a sump system
  • Lower chance of flooding
  • but...
  • Not sure if I like a long narrow tank vs a shallow tank
  • Not as clean look with equipment sticking out in the back
  • Lack of long term reviews since this is new model and already people are complaining about bowing

Option A! I was scared of a sump since I didn't know anything about sumps but it's not that bad. It won't flood since if something happens the water goes into the sump. Plus SHALLOW.

Option A! I was scared of a sump since I didn't know anything about sumps but it's not that bad. It won't flood since if something happens the water goes into the sump. Plus SHALLOW.

what if your display tank keeps draining into the sump and your pump malfunctions????????

what if your display tank keeps draining into the sump and your pump malfunctions????????

Sump it. Just design the sump to fit your needs. Make it so the water level in the sump is low enough to where if the power goes out and the water in the display drains into the sump, it will not flood.

I have my 75G freshwater tank setup like this with a 20L sump. Along with my new 22 Long build, but the 22 Long has a ridiculously large sump 50G. :lol:

HarryPotter

Impossible. If the display gets below the return there will be no more flow!

Lets say the water exit is 1" below the waterline. Then when 1" of water drains from your tank, it'll stop going to the sump.

Just measure the water volume in the space where the bottom of your return lines and drains are and make sure you have enough empty volume in the sump to take that water in. Your sketch looks good to me.

Defo do long shallow and sump.. I'm new to the hobbie and new nothing.. (Still don't) but it's all trial and error.. I know nothing about plumbing so went with flexi tubing on mine to start with.. Plus the Mrs wouldn't let me drill hole in to the side board or pic plumbing:(. Would look so much better but I can live with the tubing for now?

I like the sump diagram but question the gate valves. Just make sure you use quick disconnects where the gate valves are so you can replace any plumbing below the quick disconnect without having to re-do anything. Perhaps the gate valves serve the same purpose? IMO never any reason to shut off an overflow or restrict the return pump, just purchase the pump that has the flow you need.

Archived