Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

Party in Chicago! I'm not sure which would be the best day to come up. Maybe Sunday? Would that work for the both of you? :)

So sunday???!!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to me. I'll get up early to get your nem out of the tank and get her all packaged up nicely. It is about a 3 hour drive that direction.

PM'd omgomgomg

Sooo....I mentioned before that my dad is a big fish nut. He has like 10 freshwater tanks at his place. So I gave my leaky tank to my dad and told him to do whatever he wants. He brought the tank back today, and he fixed the leak! He said the bottom glass wasn't fully flushed against the right side of the tank, meaning near the side, the bottom glass does not touch the ground. So all the pressure from the water eventually pushed the bottom glass down a smudge and caused a slow leak. He sealed the side (you can see it in the picture below with a poor silicone job), inserted a plastic near the leak to make it now flush against the ground, and for some stupid reason, slapped on a Nokia poster...wtf?!?! He said it's guaranteed not to leak again...not sure if I should trust him...haha.

So the plan now is to use this as a holding tank till I get my new house and bigger tank. Still plan to sell off some corals cuz frankly I have too much. I would really like to get rid of the bonsai tree rock with the maxi mini and SPS.

19449002959_3014054d00.jpg

How nice to have a handy dad! That must be a weight off your shoulders. It will make things much easier for you and we get to keep seeing pics of your corals. Win win!

Sooo....I mentioned before that my dad is a big fish nut. He has like 10 freshwater tanks at his place. So I gave my leaky tank to my dad and told him to do whatever he wants. He brought the tank back today, and he fixed the leak! He said the bottom glass wasn't fully flushed against the right side of the tank, meaning near the side, the bottom glass does not touch the ground. So all the pressure from the water eventually pushed the bottom glass down a smudge and caused a slow leak. He sealed the side (you can see it in the picture below with a poor silicone job), inserted a plastic near the leak to make it now flush against the ground, and for some stupid reason, slapped on a Nokia poster...wtf?!?! He said it's guaranteed not to leak again...not sure if I should trust him...haha.

So the plan now is to use this as a holding tank till I get my new house and bigger tank. Still plan to sell off some corals cuz frankly I have too much. I would really like to get rid of the bonsai tree rock with the maxi mini and SPS.

19449002959_3014054d00.jpg

Way to go Dad :D. Are you gonna let the PicO company know about the quality issue?

Way to go Dad :D. Are you gonna let the PicO company know about the quality issue?

Chris actually contacted me and offered to fix the leak. That's pretty awesome given the tank is two years old now. But I already gave the tank to my dad and didn't want to bother.

Oh my god dude.. I just caught up on things here and read thru. I'm so so sorry for the troubles you've had with this leak. What an nightmare!! I really hope things work out for you and everything goes smooth ahead as you sell, move, and plan the next chapter in life! Your tanks have both been such an inspiration to me, and I've always enjoyed coming in and looking through the pictures.. this is such a sad way for things to go :( I remember over a year ago now when I first became interested in saltwater, your Spec V was probably the first thread I went through. I remember taking pictures on my phone of the screen and bringing them to the LFS looking for a similar tank and showing the people there... So amazing man. Times goes by so quick...

Two things... First, unless he redid all of the silicone, it's (IMO) still likely to leak. New and old don't bond well. Second, make sure it gets a good long time to cure before filling again. Super cool that Chris offered to replace it for you too.

Two things... First, unless he redid all of the silicone, it's (IMO) still likely to leak. New and old don't bond well. Second, make sure it gets a good long time to cure before filling again. Super cool that Chris offered to replace it for you too.

yea, i am a little afraid it will leak again...BUT this is just a temporary thing till I upgrade so I am crossing my fingers it will hold up for a few more months. I am letting it cure for at least 48 hours before filling again.

yea, i am a little afraid it will leak again...BUT this is just a temporary thing till I upgrade so I am crossing my fingers it will hold up for a few more months. I am letting it cure for at least 48 hours before filling again.

I know you said 30-40G range but are you going custom or one on the market? On that note, will it be another PicO? I would be torn in your shoes... On the one hand, it leaked. On the other hand, it was 2 years old and wasn't on a PicO stand and he still offered to fix it. That would be a tough choice I think.

I know you said 30-40G range but are you going custom or one on the market? On that note, will it be another PicO? I would be torn in your shoes... On the one hand, it leaked. On the other hand, it was 2 years old and wasn't on a PicO stand and he still offered to fix it. That would be a tough choice I think.

It will be one on the market only (either CADLight or Deep Blue) because custom for a 30-40g from PicO gets a little expensive with the shipping and everything. Chris is great, and I would not hesitate to get another PicO if I am looking for a smaller tank.

I think it's become so difficult anymore because how many posts do we see with Deep Blue, Innovative Marine, and Cadlights eaking/popping seams, cracking? And it seems like these tanks are all 8 mos- 1.5 yrs old. Too young in the hobby for this to be happening.

So, yes, even if someone offers to fix something which is nice customer service, for me the distrust is already there for the quality of the product. It is a hard choice. I'm buying a 40 in the $1 per gallon sale tomorrow as my 60 DBP has 2 seams that I cannot trust, and I discovered when I emptied the tank at the end of May. Tank was only wet a yr. Funny thing is that so many people had 40s and I never heard since I started w/ NR Jan 2013 of anyone's seams leaking or tank cracking. It's scary.

I think it's become so difficult anymore because how many posts do we see with Deep Blue, Innovative Marine, and Cadlights eaking/popping seams, cracking? And it seems like these tanks are all 8 mos- 1.5 yrs old. Too young in the hobby for this to be happening.

So, yes, even if someone offers to fix something which is nice customer service, for me the distrust is already there for the quality of the product. It is a hard choice. I'm buying a 40 in the $1 per gallon sale tomorrow as my 60 DBP has 2 seams that I cannot trust, and I discovered when I emptied the tank at the end of May. Tank was only wet a yr. Funny thing is that so many people had 40s and I never heard since I started w/ NR Jan 2013 of anyone's seams leaking or tank cracking. It's scary.

It definitely is scary, but like any product, there will a certain percentage with defects. The IM tanks cracking was pretty high percentage so that's a concern. But this is only the second time I have heard of a PicO leaking. And the way Chris handles the situation is 100000% better than how IM handled it. I still think from time to time of doing a PicO 5 gallon with only ricordeas and gorgonians.

What I learned from this experience is to be prepared for the worst. And plastic tub is awesome =). And you guys / gals are awesome for your support and advice.

Wow, I'm glad you're on the way to semi-recovery!

Sometimes I wonder if we should all hold little "fire drills" at home. Just walk around the house and try to figure out "what would I do if my tank started leaking?"

Had a great time yesterday chatting with Kimberbee and Merthynia. They helped me thin out some of my zoas and LPS. Tonight I am giving away all my SPS (minus the montiporas) to a local guy. When this tank starts back up, I am gonna actually see the sand bed =).

Wow, I'm glad you're on the way to semi-recovery!

Sometimes I wonder if we should all hold little "fire drills" at home. Just walk around the house and try to figure out "what would I do if my tank started leaking?"

Fire drill would be tooo funny. We should always have an emergency leak kit around too =).

HarryPotter

It definitely is scary, but like any product, there will a certain percentage with defects. The IM tanks cracking was pretty high percentage so that's a concern. But this is only the second time I have heard of a PicO leaking. And the way Chris handles the situation is 100000% better than how IM handled it. I still think from time to time of doing a PicO 5 gallon with only ricordeas and gorgonians.

What I learned from this experience is to be prepared for the worst. And plastic tub is awesome =). And you guys / gals are awesome for your support and advice.

Can we see the 'bucket again? :lol:

Can we see the 'bucket again? :lol:

It's really very pretty, being able to see everything from the top down. Making me consider a much shorter stand for my next build!

Archived