ReefCleaners.org

Ninja's 12g PicO S III ~ Tank Leaking Taking it Down ~

ninjamyst

do you want to come by and have your pick? Rough pricing:

orange plates - $20

green helmet plate - $10

euphyllia - $5 per head

RFA - not sure if RFA made the transfer because I had to peel it off the bottom glass....

acans - $5 - $15 per frag.

gorg- i have some nice gorg in the 5g but still undecided whether i will break that down too

plus i will throw in tons of freebies like blastos / zoas / lepto / misc

I'll PM you here in a sec... :)

My female goes nuts on me. it freaks me out more than anything when you have a clownfish charging your hand. She's gone so far as to jump out of the water's surface going after me! Luckily she didn't jump OUT of the tank. Crazy clowns.

The little one in my fusion will come right up to my hand and start nipping/biting/pulling out the hairs on the back of my hand. Little ####er!!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so sorry about your leaky tank, Ninja! How frustrating. You have got to be exhausted.

Dude. Don't break down your fluval 5G. I say keep it.......

I agree with Xiaoxly!

Sorry to hear about the leak. BUT... let's not have any of this "I'm done with this hobby" talk. Take a hiatus, use this time to plan the next steps and when you move and get settled, get a new tank set up! I'm really sorry to hear this man. Such a gorgeous tank and it hurts me to see it come down :( My little nano heart is being crushed right now.

If you end up selling any equipment, let me know and I may take some off your hands. I say keep it, but I understand how much stuff we acquire that makes moving a hassle.

Now that I slept on it and had some time to ponder and reflect on what happened...here are some of my thoughts:

• This sucks. This really really sucks.
  • Tank is 1 month away from 2 years mark, and things have been really stable. Maintenance is easy. Cost has been kept to minimum with just salt and electricity. I was in for the long haul on this tank.
  • I am frustrated this happened to a PicO aquarium. I know I can't blame PicO. The tank has been great up to this point. But I can't shake the regret that I paid premium for this tank and this was the last thing I expect to happen.
  • The leak is from the back bottom of the tank on the same side as the mp10. The mp10 is running at 30% only. I am pretty sure the mp10 played a factor in this.
  • I will be moving within a year, and I been thinking about what will happen to my current two tanks when I move. I will definitely be getting a bigger 30g - 40g tank. There's a high chance I will break down my current tanks anyway when I move so maybe this is for the best.

The most painful thing about this leak / break down is loosing all the corals I have cared for in the past year or so. I am going to miss my marbled hammer, my teal candy canes, my maxi mini garden, my ric garden, all my zoas. I am loosing a lot of money selling things off for cheap / giving things away.

This year has been very rough for me with health issues, marriage issues, work issues, and now this. A big part of why I decided to call it quits is the accumulation of all the stress that's been building up in my life. I am going to miss this hobby terribly. Every time I stare at the empty fireplace, I am going to question if I made the right decision. But such is life...

The silver lining is that I will be back as soon as I get my new house. We have been house hunting, and the first thing I do when I go to a showing is pick a spot for my future tank =).

Dude. Is there any way you can move that 5G tank to your office and use it as an office tank? :( Pls don't break down everything....

Sorry to hear about the leak. BUT... let's not have any of this "I'm done with this hobby" talk. Take a hiatus, use this time to plan the next steps and when you move and get settled, get a new tank set up! I'm really sorry to hear this man. Such a gorgeous tank and it hurts me to see it come down :( My little nano heart is being crushed right now.

If you end up selling any equipment, let me know and I may take some off your hands. I say keep it, but I understand how much stuff we acquire that makes moving a hassle.

I will be back for sure! Taking a long break till I get my new place. Then it will be an EPIC new build.

Dude. Is there any way you can move that 5G tank to your office and use it as an office tank? :( Pls don't break down everything....

I am still undecided on the 5g. It does not compare to the 12g and I think I will miss the 12g more if I keep the 5g. I am going to try and sell the whole thing as a package.

Duuuuuuude.....man why do things like this have to happen?!?! Sorry bro.

Don't break down the 5 yet....at least that is my opinion. I understand your desire to just wipe clean due to the accumulation of stress, but isn't this one of your stress relievers?(obviously not right now, but in general) At least, it is for me. Keep your favorites from the 12 and put them in the 5. Rescape the 5 if you want it to be better than it is. I know you can figure out a way to combine and make that 5 something really cool.

Also, do you know any LFS's or locals that would be willing to hold your stuff for the next couple months or so? That way you don't have to take such a hit on the financial aspect of the live stock?

Man, I still just can't believe this happened to a PicO...I mean a nuvo yeah, but not a PicO..... :(

Did the glass crack? Or did the silicone fail?

Sk8n Reefer

dang Ninja, sorry to hear this. Your tank was special for sure. Take some time and as you say- the next build will be epic- that I am sure of. Interesting about the mp10- great pumps but really stress our tanks. Hope things turn around for you soon!

Man, I still just can't believe this happened to a PicO...I mean a nuvo yeah, but not a PicO..... :(

Did the glass crack? Or did the silicone fail?

my guess is silicone fail near bottom back of the tank. over the weekend, i am gonna fill it back up and see exactly where. maybe i can fix it???

dang Ninja, sorry to hear this. Your tank was special for sure. Take some time and as you say- the next build will be epic- that I am sure of. Interesting about the mp10- great pumps but really stress our tanks. Hope things turn around for you soon!

i am already thinking about the next build! I am leaning towards the CADLight Versa 42g. Or a Deep Blue shallow 30g.

my guess is silicone fail near bottom back of the tank. over the weekend, i am gonna fill it back up and see exactly where. maybe i can fix it???

i am already thinking about the next build! I am leaning towards the CADLight Versa 42g. Or a Deep Blue shallow 30g.

Hmmmm, if there is no visable crack then I doubt you can blame the MP. Sad, but it's probably just the silicone....

Either of those options sounds good, just make sure you sump it!

Hmmmm, if there is no visable crack then I doubt you can blame the MP. Sad, but it's probably just the silicone....

Either of those options sounds good, just make sure you sump it!

Yea, I am really perplexed as to what caused the leak. It was fine when I came home. I fed the fish, I turkey baster the sand and rocks, everything normal. Then right before bed, water everywhere. I am so glad the power strip didn't catch on fire or something.

MrNanoReef

dang bro, can't believe you broke the tank down, if you'd ship the corals lmk.

Are you sure it's leak or may be overflown from ATO? I had a an overflow in the overflow box area (without realizing it) when I pull my rocks in and out for rescape, i thought I had a leak in my DIY sump but once I dried the water, it wasn't a leak. Later I found that the water traveled down slowly via the hang-on float switch mount.

TaterTot24

I hate to see this. But I have not been a real fan of the "quality" of the pico since I got mine. Especially the silicon...

Do you remember my thread on how disappointed I was when I first got my tank? http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/336717-just-received-my-pico-iii-some-concerns/?fromsearch=1

Anyway, my tank is about 6 months away from yours and I have a mp10 as well (running 50%). I am scared, but at least I can start thinking about a backup plan.

dang bro, can't believe you broke the tank down, if you'd ship the corals lmk.

Are you sure it's leak or may be overflown from ATO? I had a an overflow in the overflow box area (without realizing it) when I pull my rocks in and out for rescape, i thought I had a leak in my DIY sump but once I dried the water, it wasn't a leak. Later I found that the water traveled down slowly via the hang-on float switch mount.

100% positive it's a leak. I drained about 50% of the water. Dried everything around the tank and 5 mins later, a puddle of water by the back side of the tank.

I hate to see this. But I have not been a real fan of the "quality" of the pico since I got mine. Especially the silicon...

Do you remember my thread on how disappointed I was when I first got my tank? http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/336717-just-received-my-pico-iii-some-concerns/?fromsearch=1

Anyway, my tank is about 6 months away from yours and I have a mp10 as well (running 50%). I am scared, but at least I can start thinking about a backup plan.

I would still recommend a PicO since I have not heard of anyone else having a leak with theirs. I hope to find the source and cause of the leak soon.

I will be back for sure! Taking a long break till I get my new place. Then it will be an EPIC new build.

I am still undecided on the 5g. It does not compare to the 12g and I think I will miss the 12g more if I keep the 5g. I am going to try and sell the whole thing as a package.

Counting on EPIC!

I am truely sad for your distress. Im sure youll make the next build epic but i say keep the good stuff in your 5g that way you keep those corals that you worked hard to grow. Maybe chris can help out with a new build since there clearly is no cracks. Ill be lurking around waiting to see what you cone up with

So sorry you are going through all this. Sometimes life just sucks :grouphug:.

The silver lining is that I will be back as soon as I get my new house. We have been house hunting, and the first thing I do when I go to a showing is pick a spot for my future tank =).

Get that new house sooooon! :D

Nano sapiens

Wow, that is awful and a reef keepers worst nightmare. It's especially heartbreaking when you've kept and enjoyed the system/animals for a good length of time.

Keep positive and look forward to the day when you'll have a beautiful new setup.

HarryPotter

lol...i need to price my corals just a tad higher than...

New FTS! lol. Any advice to keep things alive in my new "tank" for a week or two??

18910427993_5222c42907.jpg

Water moving, good light, and a water change every other day. That's better than 40% of the tanks out there! :lol:

Water moving, good light, and a water change every other day. That's better than 40% of the tanks out there! :lol:

I am gonna be pissed if my SPS colors up better than before...hahaha.

Archived