Cultivated Reef

The Tweaker

pgrVII

It prob wont screw it up,where are you putting the pad in relation to the skimmer to help it get the desired skim?

Also...is your profile pic one of you sir?

Well, I have the JBJ 45 gallon AIO tank, so on the left overflow Is where I put my filter floss and media on my InTank media rack. My right overflow is strictly where my skimmer goes. When I put that pad in, it starts foaming and I believe its from the phosphate reducing chemicals in it. I'd like to get the skimmer working without it. Update today... still not foaming, but cup is filling from the small bubbles breaking. See the picture:

dyxftk.jpg

Yes, that's me back in 2010 - Afghanistan.

Also, the question may come with how stocked my tank is... It's overstocked. Large colonies, 9 fish. Lawnmower blenny, tang, 2 clowns and 5 chromis.

See the image:

29oqucn.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, hopefully I can get this thing dialed in without the use of those pads... Seems crazy that I need a pad for this to produce foam. When I do have the pad in, it produces pretty dark skim.

Thank you! It's the Army standard issue M4, by colt - yes.

Thank you, hopefully I can get this thing dialed in without the use of those pads... Seems crazy that I need a pad for this to produce foam. When I do have the pad in, it produces pretty dark skim.

Thank you! It's the Army standard issue M4, by colt - yes.

Nice I have a civilian version M4 by colt love that thing feed it with pmags.

Yea that's strange about the foam probably cause the phos remover like you said.

I know you probably have but,did you check to make sure everything was sealed up like the air hose and the threads on secure for the pump?

I have pulled it out a couple times to make sure. When it's functioning in the water I see no micro bubbles being released into tank and it seems to work properly, minus foam. It creates the mini bubbles that form before the foam production but they just pop, no foam being brought up.

That's so weird man,mine started pretty quickly,although it was used it was really clean and hardly used. Hmmmm. The cup is down all the way? I adjusted my bubble line under the red band on the neck to start it and tweaked it there almost all the way open after it settled.

Blah, skimmers are so frustrating. My bubbles are producing right at that line in the neck. But they pop there too. I added a square of that acruel pad, and give it a couple hours... it'll start foaming... I'll show yah. I'm not trying to over run your thread, if you'd like we can PM... I just notice your skimmer is producing mad skim.

Blah, skimmers are so frustrating. My bubbles are producing right at that line in the neck. But they pop there too. I added a square of that acruel pad, and give it a couple hours... it'll start foaming... I'll show yah. I'm not trying to over run your thread, if you'd like we can PM... I just notice your skimmer is producing mad skim.

Nah you're good brother we can discuss whatevers clever in here glad I could sorta kinda help you man haha.

Hahaha yea if there's one thing my tank does do is produce mad skimmate. I'm a heavy handed feeder.

Cool, sounds good... hopefully we can get it dialed in and use it as a thread to help others. Can't find much on the skimmer really, other than it's ridiculously finnicky. So i've added the pad about 10 minutes ago and foam is already started to build. See photo

np2vqt.jpg

Yes, It's almost completely open. If I lower it more, it won't be in the collection tube. it'll sit inside the thick chamber.

Leave the skim down in the thick chamber awhile I had to leave mine under the red neck band (lol where's NorthGaHillbilly )and it started to build a dry head from there just took a day or two from the get go. I would try it that way if possible.

I'll attempt that. Do you have an instagram, so I can send videos without having to upload etc? If so can you PM your user handle please?

I'll attempt that. Do you have an instagram, so I can send videos without having to upload etc? If so can you PM your user handle please?

I do not have instagram,but to be honest I don't have Facebook or Twitter either lol this forum is about as Internet social as I get lol.

Keep in mind, this is AFTER I added the 'miracle foam' pad lol. Before was just tiny bubbles bursting at the red line which is the liquid in the cup. As they burst, they build up on the skimmer cup lid and drip into cup.

Here we go!

HarryPotter

Keep in mind, this is AFTER I added the 'miracle foam' pad lol. Before was just tiny bubbles bursting at the red line which is the liquid in the cup. As they burst, they build up on the skimmer cup lid and drip into cup.

Here we go!

Thats some good foam- a little high though. I would lower it to allow for skimate buildup.

I will take a video of my PLS-50 Elite in a few minutes and post the Youtube link here for you to compare

Try to blow in the airline tubing to clear it? I don't know why the bubbles wouldn't happen w/o pad.

Oh and is your tank Uber clean?

Awesome, okay i'll go lower. It's just producing mad foam right now because I added the green pad. Before this, it's was a bunch of bubbles popping wet as can be, not a hint of foam.

It's hard to say if it's super clean or not. It's heavily stocked.. I feed two times a day; I run purigen and chemi pure elite... Water changes 2x a month. I don't have any issues with hair algae, but I get the normal brownish/green algae film on glass every 3 days or so.

This is about the skim I get when I run the acruel pad....

vdio12.jpg

261nsb8.jpg

I don't want to rely on this pad to keep my skimmer foaming though... -_-

HarryPotter

It's hard to say if it's super clean or not. It's heavily stocked.. I feed two times a day; I run purigen and chemi pure elite... Water changes 2x a month. I don't have any issues with hair algae, but I get the normal brownish/green algae film on glass every 3 days or so.

This is about the skim I get when I run the acruel pad....

vdio12.jpg

261nsb8.jpg

I don't want to rely on this pad to keep my skimmer foaming though... -_-

Lol why not?

Video:

Archived