inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Man, and I thought the seahorses were the challenging ones! They seem way easier than clams :) I started with inexpensive clams, and I'm doing my best to keep them alive. If something happens it won't be too devastating though. Zeph, since you have such success, what's the secret?!

You asked my very favorite question !! So you want to know my secret do you ??? Hmmmm..not sure I should reveal it. After all, I dont need any clam competition around here!!! LOLLLLLLLL!!!!

I love when I get asked this in the gym too..Whats your secret ???? How did you get so big..etc... ????? My secret is simple- I just never gave up. I do everything pretty much like yall do, I've just been doing it for so long that I know very VERY well what doesnt work.

Clam success revolves around knowing how your clams and system respond to water changes. I can tell exactly WHEN my tank needs a water change by the way the clams look, and I can tell when I have changed too much or too frequently by the way the clams look. Whats awesome about clams is they will tell you immediately if the are happy or not. In comparison to a tank full of Acropora, which cant talk to you. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my* addition.

Species of clam? T. crocea x2
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? Maxspect Razor Nano 16k
Clam depth in the tank in inches? Approximately 22".
DOC level estimate? No idea.
Do you skim? Nope.
Do you run carbon? Yep, for now anyways.
Do you run GFO? Nope.
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam? Nope.
Are you seeing new growth? Not yet.
Calcium/Alk Method? None.
Where and when did you get it? LFS on Friday (18 Oct. 2013).
Do you purposely feed? Yes.

I can't believe I forgot to add pictures! Here they are:

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/fgwombat/media/IMG_4179_zps3671dc4e.jpg.html'>IMG_4179_zps3671dc4e.jpg

*These clams are actually for some sort of research (I think something to do with photosynthesis). Basically, some phd dropped them off at my work and I'm in charge of maintaining them and the system.

You asked my very favorite question !! So you want to know my secret do you ??? Hmmmm..not sure I should reveal it. After all, I dont need any clam competition around here!!! LOLLLLLLLL!!!!

I love when I get asked this in the gym too..Whats your secret ???? How did you get so big..etc... ????? My secret is simple- I just never gave up. I do everything pretty much like yall do, I've just been doing it for so long that I know very VERY well what doesnt work.

Clam success revolves around knowing how your clams and system respond to water changes. I can tell exactly WHEN my tank needs a water change by the way the clams look, and I can tell when I have changed too much or too frequently by the way the clams look. Whats awesome about clams is they will tell you immediately if the are happy or not. In comparison to a tank full of Acropora, which cant talk to you. :)

:lol: This was about the answer I expected. I can read my corals pretty well actually when it comes to water changes. When you're used to looking at the tank everyday, there are definitely subtle signs that its due for a water change, or that the water is too clean for some corals and I need to do less frequent water changes. Unfortunately, being new to clams, I can't yet tell the subtle little signs yet. So far both clams have their mantle fully extended during the day and aren't gaping or losing color, so I think they are fine. I am constantly examining them for any signs of trouble because I know that once they start going, they go quickly and there's nothing you can do. We sure put up with a lot in this hobby! :D

Sorry to say this but that clam is gone. No return. End of story. Classic and unfortunately typical. There is nothing you can do.

Nothing at all? That's very sad. My first clam

What are typical reasons for its death ? And things t do different in the future

Here's my* addition.

Species of clam? T. crocea x2

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? Maxspect Razor Nano 16k

Clam depth in the tank in inches? Approximately 22".

DOC level estimate? No idea.

Do you skim? Nope.

Do you run carbon? Yep, for now anyways.

Do you run GFO? Nope.

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam? Nope.

Calcium/Alk Method? None.

Where and when did you get it? LFS on Friday (18 Oct. 2013).

Do you purposely feed? Yes.

I can't believe I forgot to add pictures! Here they are:

IMG_4179_zps3671dc4e.jpg

*These clams are actually for some sort of research (I think something to do with photosynthesis). Basically, some phd dropped them off at my work and I'm in charge of maintaining them and the system.

WOW!!!!!!! NIce!!!! Please let me know how they do in the following months. Especially if you continue not to run GFO. Im currently not running any on my dedicated clam tank either.

Nothing at all? That's very sad. My first clam

What are typical reasons for its death ? And things t do different in the future

There are so many factors....Especially with Maximas. The most common being damage from collection, which kills most wild caught clams. Next time try a farm raised clam and you should have better luck. Pacific East Aquaculture is the best.

Species of clam? Squamosa

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? T5 ho two ballast

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16 to 18

DOC level estimate?

Do you skim?no

Do you run carbon?no

Do you run GFO?no

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ?no

Are you seeing new growth?yes new scutes and clam is getter thicker more mass

Calcium/Alk Method?simple water change with instant ocean reef accelerator

Where and when did you get it? Rescued from petco lol

Do you purposely feed ?no

Species of clam? Squamosa Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? T5 ho two ballast Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16 to 18 DOC level estimate? Do you skim?no Do you run carbon?no Do you run GFO?no Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ?no Are you seeing new growth?yes new scutes and clam is getter thicker more mass Calcium/Alk Method?simple water change with instant ocean reef accelerator Where and when did you get it? Rescued from petco lol Do you purposely feed ?no

Thanks for joining in!!!! A picture is worth a thousand words. Any pictres of this Squamosa from Petco ? Im curious.

What do you define as success? Is having my maxima with me now for 6 months means it is a success? Besides the T. gigas you have Zeph, which clam(s) would you call a success?

What do you define as success? Is having my maxima with me now for 6 months means it is a success? Besides the T. gigas you have Zeph, which clam(s) would you call a success?

This kind of reminds me of Shakespeare ........ pls don't ask ;) lol

It is from ORA - they're the only place Petco can order clams from.

Ahhhhh...now it all makes sense. I was at Petco just yesterday and they had platinum clowns. Of course they were covered with Ich like everything else they carry.

Geez I guess my thread woke up!!!

I define success in clams as 1 year. The exception to this rule is all maxima clams, which I consider a success at the 6 month point. I havnt had any success with Maximas in the last couple of years, as mine always die off between 3 and 4 months, but Im pretty sure I know why. I have a blue squamosa going on 7 months now, and a Deresa going on 1 year, and my Gigas has been under my care for about 6 years now.

I was just reading through James Fatherees book the other night and he was saying that Crocea clams are the hardest to keep by far. I always thought this to be true, but I think this is a fact of the past these days. In the last 3 months I have purchased 4 croceas and 6 maximas from PEA. All the croceas are doing VERY WELL, but most of the maximas have perished. I believe the reason for this lies in my protein skimmer, which is now turned off. It has been turned off for only a few days now and the maximas are showing a little improvement.

PS. My protein skimmer is OVERKILL and pumps 2500 GPH.

i'd like to know that too. my gold one has been with me 405 days, and my purple crocea has been with me 505 days.

THats awesome. Definitely successfull!!!

Species of clam? T. Crocea
Lighting - Kessil A150W 15K + PAR38 10K,14K,Antinic
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 7 1/2"
DOC level estimate? Some... no clue how much though
Do you skim? No
Do you run carbon? ChemiPure Elite (Purigen + PhosGuard)
Do you run GFO? No
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam? No
Calcium/Alk Method? Kent Nano Reef A/B
Where and when did you get it? October 29, 2013 from Diver's Den (Liveaquaria.com)
Do you purposely feed? No, but may depending on how he looks in another month.

crocea_clam_zpsf1c68427.jpg

Species of clam? T . Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 3 x 150w phoenix, clam is at 220 par

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18"

DOC level estimate? low-mid

Do you skim? SRO'eous 3000ext

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you run GFO? yes, but I let it go a little long before changing media

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? no

Are you seeing new growth? just got it, but is firmly attached where I put it.

Calcium/Alk Method? baking soda/dow flake

Where and when did you get it? Reef Gardener 6/18/13

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? no, but I feed the whole tank a squirt of a variety of reef foods once a week, the blend usually contains phyto, rotifers. Fish are fed daily skipping a day here and there.

Still alive. Still not attached. Growing 2nd new scute.

Do you skim? No

Do you run GFO? No

Where and when did you get it? October 29, 2013 from Diver's Den (Liveaquaria.com)

HII!!!! THank you for registering!!! I like you because you have a Pacific Cultured farmed Crocea!!! THose are my all time favorite clams these days, as i am having great success with them. What is so great about these clams is that usually farmed clams come in @ 1 - 2 inches, but these girls are arriving at 3 and 4 inches. Even though Crocea clams have long been considered more difficult to keep than Maxima clams, these Croceas are doing bettter than most of my maximas.

I am also intrigued because you do not skim or run GFO, so I definitely want to keep an eye on your clam!!!! Good score.

-Z

Still alive. Still not attached. Growing 2nd new scute.

Thank you for the update Mike. So far so good.

Do you skim? No

Do you run GFO? No

:wub:

My lfs just got in a bunch of Maximas the look really good to. I held my hand over them and they all closed up, which is a good sign i think. 3 of them are about 6-7" the other 5 are about 1.5-2" they are all dark blue with some speckles but one of them is lighter and has leap ore like pattern and I really wanted it but it was 200.00 ;(

Wait. Need a tank first lol

My lfs just got in a bunch of Maximas the look really good to. I held my hand over them and they all closed up, which is a good sign i think. 3 of them are about 6-7" the other 5 are about 1.5-2" they are all dark blue with some speckles but one of them is lighter and has leap ore like pattern and I really wanted it but it was 200.00 ;(

Wait. Need a tank first lol

6 - 7 inches ??

Whoa baby that s a big kitty. SOme dont even believe a 7 inch maxima exhists. But they do.

edit: and I can prove it B)

Archived