Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Species of clam? ORA cultured Squamosa 3"

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 1050W 14 halides + magenta/white stunner strip

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18

DOC level estimate? low -very low. measure dwith salifert organincs test

Do you skim? YAAA!!

Do you run carbon? NEY

Do you run GFO? evry other week for 7 days

Did you ever freshwater dip. no

Are you seeing new growth? not yet

Calcium/Alk Method? kalk

Where and when did you get it? Live aquaria

Do you purposely feed ? yes. cryo preserved phyto daily.

h63r.jpg

Basically the same one i got! I will register when i get him in tonight.

THank you for registering. If you get a chance can you fill out the questionaire on the first page of this thread so I can get a little more info on these two ? So you have 3 clams now right ???

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Species of clam? T. crocea
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 2 Ecoxotic panorama modules and 1 stunner strip for a total of 32w. The breakdown is found in my tank thread.
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 7"
DOC level estimate? no idea
Do you skim? no
Do you run carbon? only ChemiPure Elite
Do you run GFO? no
Did you ever freshwater dip? no
Are you seeing new growth? yes
Calcium/Alk Method? 1/2 capful of Seachem Reef Complete every week. Yes, I know I'm terrible ;)
Where and when did you get it? I bought it from my not-so-local FS for 25$ in January, 2012.
Do you purposely feed ? I do not target feed the clam specifically, but all the filter feeders with a mix of mysis mush and MarineSnow.

I know it's not the most glamourous clam ever, but I still think he's pretty awesome.

Here are a couple of pics I took today.

9167693152_0bcf7dba15_z.jpg
clamz0r.29.06.13 by wankreas, on Flickr
9167692388_217c9f8607_c.jpg
This thread is an awesome idea and I will be following fo' sure~
jedimasterben

Species of clam? T. crocea

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 2 Ecoxotic panorama modules and 1 stunner strip for a total of 32w. The breakdown is found in my tank thread.

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 7"

I highly doubt you will be able to sustain a crocea long-term with that amount of light. It already is retracted in places and doesn't look all that healthy (did you recently move it?).

EDIT: notice the '2' as the light count. Even still, you're what I would consider at the lower limit for sustaining it.

I highly doubt you will be able to sustain a crocea long-term with that amount of light. It already is retracted in places and doesn't look all that healthy (did you recently move it?).

EDIT: notice the '2' as the light count. Even still, you're what I would consider at the lower limit for sustaining it.

Due to where it is in the tank, it's hard to get a decent top-down picture that looks halfway decent without lifting the hood and causing the clam to retract a bit. I get a little impatient waiting for it to unfurl, hence the 'retracted' look. I just took another pic with the flow off and some additional patience.

9168459116_4275db814b_c.jpg
clamz0rz no flow by wankreas, on Flickr
It gets a little shade on the top left side from the montipora cap above it, so I may move it up in the tank some. I did move it about 2 weeks ago, which could also be why it looks a little crummy in those pics.
I will probably upgrade to a larger tank before the end of the year.
I can post some new pics in a month or two to see if anything improves. In the meantime, I would happily accept any advice you may have :)

Due to where it is in the tank, it's hard to get a decent top-down picture that looks halfway decent without lifting the hood and causing the clam to retract a bit. I get a little impatient waiting for it to unfurl, hence the 'retracted' look. I just took another pic with the flow off and some additional patience.

9168459116_4275db814b_c.jpg
clamz0rz no flow by wankreas, on Flickr
It gets a little shade on the top left side from the montipora cap above it, so I may move it up in the tank some. I did move it about 2 weeks ago, which could also be why it looks a little crummy in those pics.
I will probably upgrade to a larger tank before the end of the year.
I can post some new pics in a month or two to see if anything improves. In the meantime, I would happily accept any advice you may have :)

THank you for registering. If I was you I would give that clam a 5 minute fresh water dip. If you are unsure of the propper way to dip a clam please ask. Your clam is displaying symptoms of pinched mantle disease.

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count?DIY LEds

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 16"

DOC level estimate? Not sure

Do you skim? YAAA!!

Do you run carbon? In a bag

Do you run GFO? every once in a while

Calcium/Alk Method? kalk

Where and when did you get it? Live aquaria delivered 6/27/13

Do you purposely feed ?Nope

r29on8.jpg

Just an update on MR. PEA Body.......:)

Looks like the rim of his shell is getting a white lip started.....

k02a7c.jpg

What is interesting is the fact that it has lived for 18 months under such lighting.

Do you skim? YAAA!!

Calcium/Alk Method? kalk

r29on8.jpg

Just an update on MR. PEA Body....... :)

k02a7c.jpg

SWEET!!!!!! I really like squamosa clams because of their longevity. And they are becoming more colorful as well. Your Maxima looks great and is showing new growth. Your system is definitely "clam friendly". Keep up the good work!!!!! ....And thank you for registering.

Species of clam: Tridacna Derasa
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count: 6x39W T5HO Sunlight Supply TEK fixture
Clam depth in the tank in inches? On bottom of 16" tank. 24" from light. PAR 200-250.
DOC level estimate? Med-Low
Do you skim? Yes
Do you run carbon? Yes
Do you run GFO? Yes
Did you ever freshwater dip? No
Are you seeing new growth? Yes
Calcium/Alk Method? BRS 2 Part
Where and when did you get it? LFS about 2 years ago
Do you purposely feed ? No

Not the best pic, but it shows the shell growth I've been getting since I picked him up as a 3" clam:

post-59679-0-00266700-1372678818_thumb.jpg

Clam depth in the tank in inches? On bottom of 16" tank. 24" from light. PAR 200-250.

Do you skim? Yes

Do you run carbon? Yes

Do you run GFO? Yes

Not the best pic, but it shows the shell growth I've been getting since I picked him up as a 3" clam:

You make all the clam data go out the window. :wub:

Do you skim? Yes

Do you run carbon? Yes

Do you run GFO? Yes

Hey there,

Thank you for registering. Good success with the Deresa. I wonder if any other species would be so productive in your clean water. Maybe Ill buy you a Maxima. LOL..

Do you skim? Yes

Do you run carbon? Yes

Do you run GFO? Yes

Nice Derasa! Thats my next one :)

Thanks! Could be that my water isn't as clean as I think it is. I tend to feed the tank 2-3 times per day small amounts. Once a week, right before water change day, I hit the tank with a massive deluge of food.

Haven't had too many problems with algae though, if that's any indicator of my water's organic load.

You make all the clam data go out the window. :wub:

Ha ha ha no kidding. I'm "in the tails" on this one for sure.

Thanks! Could be that my water isn't as clean as I think it is. I tend to feed the tank 2-3 times per day small amounts. Once a week, right before water change day, I hit the tank with a massive deluge of food.

Haven't had too many problems with algae though, if that's any indicator of my water's organic load.

Whatever your'e doing, dont alter it. I actually like T5's for clams. I dont care for LEDS because I dont want 300 tiny bulbs, and halides are very tricky to get right, but T5's seam to do the trick nicely. I would love to see how a small Maxima does in your tank - HINT HINT HINT. ;)

2 weeks in on mine, has rotated about 20 degrees and hasn't moved. No gaping. The mantle is somewhat retracted after lights out, is that norm?

2 weeks in on mine, has rotated about 20 degrees and hasn't moved. No gaping. The mantle is somewhat retracted after lights out, is that norm?

Yes, Clams should retract a little when the lights go out. If they DONT it could indicate a problem.

Whatever your'e doing, dont alter it. I actually like T5's for clams. I dont care for LEDS because I dont want 300 tiny bulbs, and halides are very tricky to get right, but T5's seam to do the trick nicely. I would love to see how a small Maxima does in your tank - HINT HINT HINT. ;)

Maxima are beautiful clams, but I don't think my setup is optimal for them. IMHO I think I would need to lower my lights to meet their need for higher lighting. I wouldn't mind another Derasa though!

I'm also diggin' my T5's right now. Couldn't be happier, I came from a MH setup. I'm going to hold off on LED for little while, although if I had unlimited funds I might try the Kessil lineup. That might be a more flexible way to go, I could place a Maxima directly under a Kessil spotlight and keep the rest of the tank lower light.

Maxima are beautiful clams, but I don't think my setup is optimal for them. IMHO I think I would need to lower my lights to meet their need for higher lighting. I wouldn't mind another Derasa though!

I'm also diggin' my T5's right now. Couldn't be happier, I came from a MH setup. I'm going to hold off on LED for little while, although if I had unlimited funds I might try the Kessil lineup. That might be a more flexible way to go, I could place a Maxima directly under a Kessil spotlight and keep the rest of the tank lower light.

The Kessil idea sounds good to me, but also keep this in mind.

I know all we keep hearing is that Maximas and croceas need very intense lighting, and yes, its true, But what took me a very long time to figure out is that is is actually the SECOND most important aspect of your system. Firstly being dissolved organics.

My lighting has always been strong enough and even too strong at times, for these clams, but my many losses have led me to work on my water more than my light. And when I say "work" I mean getting the organics up just enough to support clams without being detrimental to SPS and Gonioporas. It actually invovlved a lack or work, as in less water changes, less phosphate remover, but more testing to keep an eye on these perameters. At this time my clam tanks are running 2ppm nitrates and 0.2 - 0.5 ppm phosphates.

icedearth15324

Just to update, here's my new Maxima. Happily attached to the rock work and has been opening fully.

post-78101-0-46385400-1373232274_thumb.jpg

Just to update, here's my new Maxima. Happily attached to the rock work and has been opening fully.

Nice, Ive updated your registration. Good luck with her !!

Do you skim? YAAA!!

Calcium/Alk Method? kalk

r29on8.jpg

Just an update on MR. PEA Body....... :)

k02a7c.jpg

Ok i'm pretty sure my squamosa is a gonner. It started to be fairly retracted where the mantle didn't overlap the shell yesterday. I dipped it as per Zeph's instructions except for 10 minutes only though. And it looks even worse today..... SHOULD I REMOVE HIM NOW BEFORE HE TAINTS MY WATER????

The squamosa is also unresponsive to motion.....i guess i will remove him.... sad.....

I really shouldnt say unless I see a picture, but if its unresponsive theres pretty much no chance of returning to normal health, so pull the plug, yea.. Sorry.

ALso know that these ORA cultured Squamosas are droppong like flies for everyone. I think theyve just been on the shelf too long.

The squamosa is also unresponsive to motion.....i guess i will remove him.... sad.....

Hey, dont feel bad, My ORA squamosa croaked this morning also. I have known 4 people that purchased these clams in the last few months and they have ALL perished. Even the Maximas are lasting longer. I think the problem is LA purchases too many of them, and they sit in the facility a long time as they only post a couple per day. I can also factually tell you LA keeps their clams in VERY nutrient poor water, and they will not last very long in their system. Thats why it is always wise to purchase clams that have just been posted. The longer these clams sit in their facility the worse they get.

Hey, dont feel bad, My ORA squamosa croaked this morning also. I have known 4 people that purchased these clams in the last few months and they have ALL perished. Even the Maximas are lasting longer. I think the problem is LA purchases too many of them, and they sit in the facility a long time as they only post a couple per day. I can also factually tell you LA keeps their clams in VERY nutrient poor water, and they will not last very long in their system. Thats why it is always wise to purchase clams that hve just been posted. The longer these clams sit in their facility the worse they get.

Well i dont feel sooo bad now. I mean if the clam guru had a problem :)

Just sux loosing them. Clams are really what interest me most in this hobby.

Archived