Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so i found a little piece of live rock that was a perfect bowl! He is now at the top of my pillar about 6" below the surface of water. Sitting at about 300 PAR. He has spun around 180 degrees but seems happy. Not quite sure if he's attached yet but i'm guessing so. He has been in this position for 2 days now and has not tried to jump ship yet so he must like it there. My led channels are all less than 40% currently so i may bump it up slowly. I would right now but i don't want to fry my other corals.

o5592r.jpg

You don't still have the shells of the gigas ( :() do you?

The one I lost to PM about a year ago ?....no I don't.

Ok so i found a little piece of live rock that was a perfect bowl! He is now at the top of my pillar about 6" below the surface of water. Sitting at about 300 PAR. He has spun around 180 degrees but seems happy. Not quite sure if he's attached yet but i'm guessing so. He has been in this position for 2 days now and has not tried to jump ship yet so he must like it there. My led channels are all less than 40% currently so i may bump it up slowly. I would right now but i don't want to fry my other corals.

o5592r.jpg

Sounds good to me ! I did send the shells, you will get them in a couple of days.

jedimasterben

Damn. I'm thinking a set of valves from a large gigas to go over my tank setup.

Great! Thanks for the shells! Ill use them next time.

Sounds good to me ! I did send the shells, you will get them in a couple of days.

Species of clam? T . Maxima wild from Tonga

Lighting - blub, ballast and count? 900W halide + stunner strip
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18"
DOC level estimate? low
Do you skim? yaa
Do you run carbon?naa
Do you run GFO? not all the time
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? naaa
Are you seeing new growth? just got it
Calcium/Alk Method? kalk, chlorides
Where and when did you get it? Divers Den 6/12/13

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? ive been feeding phyto lately because the clam population is growing. If I only had one or 2 clams I would not dose the whole tank with phyto, but now there are 7 clams in their so I dose phyto several times a week just for shitz and giggles.

i0m3.jpg

Species of clam? T . Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 3 x 150w phoenix, clam is at 220 par
DOC level estimate? low-mid
Do you skim? SRO'eous 3000ext
Do you run carbon? yes
Do you run GFO? yes, but I let it go a little long before changing media
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? no
Are you seeing new growth? just got it, but is firmly attached where I put it.
Calcium/Alk Method? baking soda/dow flake
Where and when did you get it? Reef Gardener 6/18/13

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? no, but I feed the whole tank a squirt of a variety of reef foods once a week, the blend usually contains phyto, rotifers. Fish are fed daily skipping a day here and there.

My Pic

22AD2052-2628-4392-9729-AA90D121B774-532

Her pic

ultraturquoise_zps11bbe692.jpg

Grumblecakes

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting? DIY LED: 24rb @1a 12, CW @1.5a, 4 uv @ 700ma, 4 deep red @ 700, 4 teal @ 700ma
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 12
DOC level estimate? no idea
Do you skim? yes
Do you run carbon? yes
Do you run GFO? no
Are you seeing new growth? yes
Calcium/Alk Method? Kalk in ATO, Calcium Chloride when levels need boosted, baking soda to raise alk
Where and when did you get it? LFS

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? oyster feast 1-2x a week

Revised: I actually measured and its smaller than i thought. 4-5 in not 6-7

Ive had mine about 14 months now never really measured it, i would guess when i got it it was 3 or so and maybe is 4-5 now. It has been alittle sick lately after running some phosphate removers that i didnt rinse well enough, also caused an alk crash. Its opened up a bit more and isnt gaping as much.

post-69990-0-44071400-1371813313_thumb.jpg

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting? DIY LED: 24rb @1a 12, CW @1.5a, 4 uv @ 700ma, 4 deep red @ 700, 4 teal @ 700ma

Do you skim? yes

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you run GFO? no

Calcium/Alk Method? Kalk in ATO, Calcium Chloride when levels need boosted, baking soda to raise alk

Ive had mine about 14 months now never really measured it, i would guess when i got it it was 4-5 and maybe is 6-7 now. It has been alittle sick lately after running some phosphate removers that i didnt rinse well enough, also caused an alk crash. Its opened up a bit more and isnt gaping as much.

I'm not the expert but that looks like a crocea to me.

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ? no, but I feed the whole tank a squirt of a variety of reef foods once a week, the blend usually contains phyto, rotifers. Fish are fed daily skipping a day here and there.

My Pic

Her pic

NIce! THank you for registering :)

Species of clam? Maxima

Do you skim? yes

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you run GFO? no

Ive had mine about 14 months now never really measured it, i would guess when i got it it was 4-5 and maybe is 6-7 now. It has been alittle sick lately after running some phosphate removers that i didnt rinse well enough, also caused an alk crash. Its opened up a bit more and isnt gaping as much.

Metrokat is right thats a Crocea. Not only that but I hope you know that a 6 -7 " crocea is insanely rare. There are arguments that they dont even exhist. I personally have seen 6 inch croceas, so Im glad I found you to back me up man!

Awesome clam!!!

Do you run carbon? yes

My Pic

Her pic

you cant see it in that pic but it has got large chutes, which im told is not found on croceas

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/

Tridacna crocea is often confused with T. maxima. In this case, the more exaggerated elongation/asymmetry of the T. maxima shell is again a strong identifier. Scutes, when present on T. crocea, tend to be further spaced and smaller, as well. Also, the byssal opening of T. maxima, while being large at times, still is not as large as that of the typical T. crocea, and is more likely to be considerably smaller.

Grumblecakes

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/jf/feature/

Tridacna crocea is often confused with T. maxima. In this case, the more exaggerated elongation/asymmetry of the T. maxima shell is again a strong identifier. Scutes, when present on T. crocea, tend to be further spaced and smaller, as well. Also, the byssal opening of T. maxima, while being large at times, still is not as large as that of the typical T. crocea, and is more likely to be considerably smaller.

sorry scutes was the wrong work, i meant more of the 'scalopes' the shell is not smooth like most pictures of croceas i have seen. here is a more recent photo of it, it sick and i made a thread on it but you can see what i mean better.

post-69990-0-04128400-1371816864_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

sorry scutes was the wrong work, i meant more of the 'scalopes' the shell is not smooth like most pictures of croceas i have seen. here is a more recent photo of it, it sick and i made a thread on it but you can see what i mean better.

Scute is the correct word. Crocea clams actually have scutes, but they get scraped off or 'melted' as they try and burrow into the rock.

I wish you had a picture of the byssal opening, it would pretty much remove all doubt :)

icedearth15324

Species of clam? T. Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? Steve's LED retrofit kit for JBJ 12 Nanocube
Clam depth in the tank in inches? currently 12 inches, will move higher once it attaches to his rock
DOC level estimate?not sure
Do you skim?no
Do you run carbon?chemipure elite
Do you run GFO?purigen
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam?yes (has small amount of bubble algae that I took off and wanted to clean it out
Are you seeing new growth? just bought it
Calcium/Alk Method? water changes
Where and when did you get it? yesterday, 6/20/2013, LFS (beautiful little guy, black with blue stripes, and half off!)

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what ?whatever i feed the tank, although since this guy is tiny I may purposely feed him oyster feast or something

I brought him home last night and put him in the tank once my lights were already off, but he was opening up almost immediately. I'll snag a pic tomorrow since I won't be home tonight until after the lights go out.

TheKleinReef

I took carbon out of my 29g. now its only phosban and purigen. i noticed a little cyano patch in the low flow section of my tank, but both clams seems to be doing really well.

pic of the crocea from yesterday:

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/IMG_2408.jpg.html'>IMG_2408.jpg

pic of the maxima from today:

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/roger_090/media/862A363F-2FE2-4423-88BC-B1C028A7BFAA-24874-000006BAD4B5264F.jpg.html'>862A363F-2FE2-4423-88BC-B1C028A7BFAA-248

slight gaping, but it wasn't about an hour and a half ago.... i'm trying to find the pattern on why it gapes occasionally. the crocea almost never gapes, but the maxima does for about a few hours a day...

Grumblecakes

2 new entries i got today, small and i know the risk but they were 29.95 each.

squamies, about 2in each. here is a pic of them acclimating. they respond well have been reacting quickly to stimuli.

post-69990-0-51519300-1371872447_thumb.jpg

squamies, about 2in each. here is a pic of them acclimating. they respond well have been reacting quickly to stimuli.

Awesome clams!

jedimasterben

btw, I pulled my last maxima out the other day. Adding 70 gallons of water to my system must have shocked it and killed it.

Species of clam? ORA cultured Squamosa 3"
Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 1050W 14 halides + magenta/white stunner strip
Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18
DOC level estimate? low -very low. measure dwith salifert organincs test
Do you skim? YAAA!!
Do you run carbon? NEY
Do you run GFO? evry other week for 7 days
Did you ever freshwater dip. no
Are you seeing new growth? not yet
Calcium/Alk Method? kalk
Where and when did you get it? Live aquaria
Do you purposely feed ? yes. cryo preserved phyto daily.

h63r.jpg

THank you for registering. If you get a chance can you fill out the questionaire on the first page of this thread so I can get a little more info on these two ? So you have 3 clams now right ???

I took carbon out of my 29g. now its only phosban and purigen. i noticed a little cyano patch in the low flow section of my tank, but both clams seems to be doing really well.

pic of the crocea from yesterday:

IMG_2408.jpg

pic of the maxima from today:

862A363F-2FE2-4423-88BC-B1C028A7BFAA-248

slight gaping, but it wasn't about an hour and a half ago.... i'm trying to find the pattern on why it gapes occasionally. the crocea almost never gapes, but the maxima does for about a few hours a day...

thats better than night gapes. NIght gapes are the worst.

Archived