Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

Well i dont feel sooo bad now. I mean if the clam guru had a problem :) Just sux loosing them. Clams are really what interest me most in this hobby.

I'm the same way. I would probably quit the hobby if clams ceased to exhist.

I also want to go on record and say DR. MAC HAS THE BESTEST, HEALTHIEST CLAMS OFFERED IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. And soon he will have croceas, squamosas, and deresas. Live Aquaria needs to stop running ozone in ther clam system, its killing them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too was leary about posting my clam pic in here for registration for fear of it dying a few days later. Apparently this guy has trouble keeping them alive too.. @ 1:16 mark..

I too was leary about posting my clam pic in here for registration for fear of it dying a few days later. Apparently this guy has trouble keeping them alive too.. @ 1:16 mark..

Wow, what a mind blowing reef tank! See that hybrid yellow tang near the beginning? That is an INSANE hybrid cross between a black and a yellow tang. I had one once, and although its in terrible taste to talk prices, some may be interested in knowing that fish cost about 2K.

You say he has problems with clams, which is evident in that he has EVERYTHING else in there, even NPS and a crinoid. I also see what looks like a BIG EMPTY clam shell...LOL.

You would think with this size bio load clams would thrive. And they should. He probably has the same problem I have in that our water is too clean, almost regardless of the amount of water changes, or lack there of. I dont know the owners husbandry techniques, but I can promise you, that with predetors aside, this is the ONLY reason clams would not survive in that tank. Most owners that pack that kind of bioload in a closed system used heavy carbon reactors, or even worse- ozone.

We are all so afraid our Acroporas will suffer if we dont do water changes, and run carbon. And rightfully so !! In all honesty sometimes I would rather NOT keep clams, and when I say clams i pretty much only mean Maximas, and run all the carbon and ozone I want and I would never have any problems or worries and I would save a ton of money because 90% of maximas die no matter how great your tank is. This is a well known statistic, im not just talking through my @ss. Be honest, How many tanks do you see with lots of big healthy clams thriving LONG TERM ? Almost none. Sure we can do Deresas and Squamosas...but after a while you know - YAWWWnnnn. We want Maximas. Purple and pink tri color ultra grade A maximas. If they were even rometely easy or even moderate almost everyone would have them. But regardless of the over abundant avaialabilty, veryyyyy few people are having success.

LIKE i SAID, We are all so afraid our Acroporas will suffer if we dont do water changes, and run carbon. And rightfully so !! We felt this way all of our lives and kept our water prestine. Zero nitrate, zero phosphate, lots of water changes, and everything did awesome, but clams would die in a hurry.Then Wayne Shang came along, and since he is the only one in the WORLD to keep a tank full of big maximas that SPAWN, he wote a book and told us how. No water changes. Never ever...and if you do, refill your tank with even dirtier water from a fish only system. Is this routine interfering with his SPS corals ? Well, since he has some of the best in the world i have to think no. The only other thing to know about his success is that he never feeds his corals and feeds his fish lightly. He runs nothing but a 7 foot skimmer. No carbon or chemical filtration. His tank and sump are packed to the very top with live rock, in which he credits all his success to. Understand it is the large amount of clams that is keeping his water clean enough for SPS to thrive. THis obviously would not work in everyones tank, but for clam heads, there is something to work with.

I honestly believe if we really want to start keeping hgh end clams we NEED to forget about water changes. Im down to doing such small ones, in my opinion anyway....and things have improved alot,

icedearth15324

Wow, what a mind blowing reef tank! See that hybrid yellow tang near the beginning? That is an INSANE hybrid cross between a black and a yellow tang. I had one once, and although its in terrible taste to talk prices, some may be interested in knowing that fish cost about 2K.

You say he has problems with clams, which is evident in that he has EVERYTHING else in there, even NPS and a crinoid. I also see what looks like a BIG EMPTY clam shell...LOL.

You would think with this size bio load clams would thrive. And they should. He probably has the same problem I have in that our water is too clean, almost regardless of the amount of water changes, or lack there of. I dont know the owners husbandry techniques, but I can promise you, that with predetors aside, this is the ONLY reason clams would not survive in that tank. Most owners that pack that kind of bioload in a closed system used heavy carbon reactors, or even worse- ozone.

We are all so afraid our Acroporas will suffer if we dont do water changes, and run carbon. And rightfully so !! In all honesty sometimes I would rather NOT keep clams, and when I say clams i pretty much only mean Maximas, and run all the carbon and ozone I want and I would never have any problems or worries and I would save a ton of money because 90% of maximas die no matter how great your tank is. This is a well known statistic, im not just talking through my @ss. Be honest, How many tanks do you see with lots of big healthy clams thriving LONG TERM ? Almost none. Sure we can do Deresas and Squamosas...but after a while you know - YAWWWnnnn. We want Maximas. Purple and pink tri color ultra grade A maximas. If they were even rometely easy or even moderate almost everyone would have them. But regardless of the over abundant avaialabilty, veryyyyy few people are having success.

LIKE i SAID, We are all so afraid our Acroporas will suffer if we dont do water changes, and run carbon. And rightfully so !! We felt this way all of our lives and kept our water prestine. Zero nitrate, zero phosphate, lots of water changes, and everything did awesome, but clams would die in a hurry.Then Wayne Shang came along, and since he is the only one in the WORLD to keep a tank full of big maximas that SPAWN, he wote a book and told us how. No water changes. Never ever...and if you do, refill your tank with even dirtier water from a fish only system. Is this routine interfering with his SPS corals ? Well, since he has some of the best in the world i have to think no. The only other thing to know about his success is that he never feeds his corals and feeds his fish lightly. He runs nothing but a 7 foot skimmer. No carbon or chemical filtration. His tank and sump are packed to the very top with live rock, in which he credits all his success to. Understand it is the large amount of clams that is keeping his water clean enough for SPS to thrive. THis obviously would not work in everyones tank, but for clam heads, there is something to work with.

I honestly believe if we really want to start keeping hgh end clams we NEED to forget about water changes. Im down to doing such small ones, in my opinion anyway....and things have improved alot,

I'm quite glad that I actually prefer the look of clams and LPS over SPS, so my tank will be geared slightly more towards that. Heavily stocked tank with enough water changes to keep the tank healthy, but not pristine.

This is why I still like to read those fish magazines from 10 years or more ago. So I'm always reminded of how what were the golden rules set in stone then are sometimes not so golden anymore now.

• 3 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

is there a reason my clams looking better after water changes? from what i'm reading on your threads zeph, water changes stress clams out, but mine don't seem affected? do i have freakishly hardy clams or something?

• 2 weeks later...

is there a reason my clams looking better after water changes? from what i'm reading on your threads zeph, water changes stress clams out, but mine don't seem affected? do i have freakishly hardy clams or something?

Sorry for the delay. Its really not right for me to go on record and ay "clams dont like water changes" because everyones tank is different. My tanks always carry very low nutrients/organics, and a water change just takes away what little food I have in there. Clams need water a little dirty. Not too dirty or they suffer as well. If your tank is carryinfg heavy organics, which yours is, a water change may do it some good. Ive had happy maximas drop dead over night with a %50 water change because my water was already extremely nutrienty poor at the time.

TheKleinReef

Sorry for the delay. Its really not right for me to go on record and ay "clams dont like water changes" because everyones tank is different. My tanks always carry very low nutrients/organics, and a water change just takes away what little food I have in there. Clams need water a little dirty. Not too dirty or they suffer as well. If your tank is carryinfg heavy organics, which yours is, a water change may do it some good. Ive had happy maximas drop dead over night with a %50 water change because my water was already extremely nutrienty poor at the time.

ahhhh that makes more sense. i do weekly 10% (5g) water changes. so its nothing crazy like 50%

ahhhh that makes more sense. i do weekly 10% (5g) water changes. so its nothing crazy like 50%

There also seams to be a problem with daily water changes, no matter how small they may be. When I was younger and would read all of Julians books as if they were the Bible, I always pondered why he was the only one that would say "water chang are a disruption, and we advise against daily water changes". Everyone else has the opinion that small daily water changes are the best, and the least invasive.

So whos right ?

It depends on what critters you have. If you only have SPS and LPS, the more water changes the better. IF you have high end Zoa's and Paly's, I would do less frequent WC's of 5-10% every week or two. Now the more clams you have the less water changes you should do. If you have one clam go with the Zoa/paly schedual. However if you have a few or even worse a heavy clam population for the volume of your aquarium, keep your water changes few and far between, If you have an insanely high clam population you will soon be trying to figure out ways to make you water more dirty, rather than clean.

Everyone else has the opinion that small daily water changes are the best, and the least invasive.

I don't know anybody that thinks small daily water changes are good for the system. Present company excluded.

A weekly waterchange of 5-10% is the popular and expected husbandry.

Not daily.

I don't know anybody that thinks small daily water changes are good for the system. Present company excluded.

A weekly waterchange of 5-10% is the popular and expected husbandry.

Not daily.

Yes Mamm.

ps. Anthony Calfo does, and I strongly disagree with him.

Species of clam? Squamosa

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 4 bulb AquaticLife and 2 bulb AquaticLife

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18" (on bottom)

DOC level estimate? Dunno

Do you skim? Not right now. Skimmer died.

Do you run carbon? Sometimes

Do you run GFO? Yes

Did you ever freshwater dip? No

Are you seeing new growth? I think so

Calcium/Alk Method? Water changes. Supplement only if necessary

Where and when did you get it? A couple months ago from the LFS

Do you purposely feed ? Add phyto to tank. Otherwise, no.

Species of clam? Derasa

Lighting? PCs in BC14 (50/50 & Actinic)

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 10

DOC level estimate? not sure

Do you skim? no

Do you run carbon? yes

Do you run GFO? purigen

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam? no

Are you seeing new growth? yes .5 inches in 3 months (almost identical to icedearth15324)

Calcium/Alk Method? no

Where and when did you get it? LFS March 2013

Do not feed.

Started him off on sand bed and just recently raised him about 4 inches into a crevice in the live rock

to try and get him a little more light. Never gapes and his mantle is slowly lightening again.

Clam still thriving and growing after 6 months. :) W-

New growth. The blue line is about when I got it 14 months ago. Dunno if it's a good growth rate but I'm just happy it's growing.

DSC030251.jpg

Species of clam? Squamosa Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 4 bulb AquaticLife and 2 bulb AquaticLife Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18" (on bottom) DOC level estimate? Dunno Do you skim? Not right now. Skimmer died. Do you run carbon? Sometimes Do you run GFO? Yes Did you ever freshwater dip? No Are you seeing new growth? I think so Calcium/Alk Method? Water changes. Supplement only if necessary Where and when did you get it? A couple months ago from the LFS Do you purposely feed ? Add phyto to tank. Otherwise, no.

HEY!!! Thank you for registering. However I will not let you get by without showing us a picture. WE WANT TO SEE YOUR CLAM! :)

New growth. The blue line is about when I got it 14 months ago. Dunno if it's a good growth rate but I'm just happy it's growing.

DSC030251.jpg

That is ALOT of growth for a maxima !!!! Most people NEVER see any growth with maximas. I also want to point out to people who follow, that Herpe does not feed his clams and is one of the very few to have a maxima showing growth. Impressive!!! It might be eating some of that Zooplex, but on the other hand its a little big so Im really not sure.

20130513_082409.jpg

Species of clam- WYSIWYG PEA T. Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count- Was Aquatraders 4x39w with stock bulbs from Sept-Dec. 2012

Then upgraded bulbs to 2x Blue+, 1x Aquablue Special, 1x Purple Plus Jan-Jun.

Current: 2x AI Vega Color currently acclimating

Clam depth in the tank in inches- About 3/4 up on liverock

DOC level estimate- Unknown

Do you skim- Yes

Do you run carbon- I ran carbon initially then started using Chemi Pure Elite solely starting September 2012.

Do you run GFO- No reactor for me

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, x1 just recently. Ruling out all possibilities due to my bulbs vs. ballast vs. disease.

Are you seeing new growth- Yes, slowly, but i'm assuming it's due to such a thick shell compared to the smaller max's.

Calcium/Alk Method- Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion and Calcion, Kent Super Buffer every 2 days-Test every 2 days.

Where and when did you get it- PEA, Early February 2013.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what- No direct feeding, I feed my fish a mixture of: frozen crushed krill, mysis, Cyclops, brine, baby brine, oyster eggs, ROE, Kent Phytomax, Kent Chromomax, pellets. Interchange frozen food and Kent's dead shelf stuff every other day.

Despite the recent scare, this maxima is still doing well. Colors are even better under the new lighting.

20130513_082359.jpg

Species of clam- "Our Pick" PEA T. Maxima

Lighting - blub, ballast and count- Was Aquatraders 4x39w with stock bulbs from Sept-Dec. 2012

Then upgraded bulbs to 2x Blue+, 1x Aquablue Special, 1x Purple Plus Jan-Jun.- This particular clam was introduced about a week or two before I noticed the ATI's were crapping out.

Current: 2x AI Vega Color currently acclimating

Clam depth in the tank in inches- About 3/4 up on liverock next to the other PEA maxima.

DOC level estimate- Unknown

Do you skim- Yes

Do you run carbon- I ran carbon initially then started using Chemi Pure Elite solely starting September 2012.

Do you run GFO- No reactor for me

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam- Yes, x2 just recently. Ruling out all possibilities due to my bulbs vs. ballast vs. disease. This one was closed up more than the maxima next to it. I find that this particular maxima seems to need more light compared to the other specimen.

Are you seeing new growth- Yes, but I cannot say it's from my tank since I haven't had this one too long.

Calcium/Alk Method- Brightwell Aquatics Magnesion and Calcion, Kent Super Buffer every 2 days-Test every 2 days.

Where and when did you get it- PEA, May 2, 2013.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what- No direct feeding, I feed my fish a mixture of: frozen crushed krill, mysis, Cyclops, brine, baby brine, oyster eggs, ROE, Kent Phytomax, Kent Chromomax, pellets. Interchange frozen food and Kent's dead shelf stuff every other day.

This maxima seems like it's extending it's mantle more now with the new LEDs in place. I'm still slowly acclimating it to the new lighting.

Hey Buddy !!! Im very curious how your large PEA maximas are doing these days ??? Do tell......

That is ALOT of growth for a maxima !!!! Most people NEVER see any growth with maximas. I also want to point out to people who follow, that Herpe does not feed his clams and is one of the very few to have a maxima showing growth. Impressive!!! It might be eating some of that Zooplex, but on the other hand its a little big so Im really not sure.

Thanks Zeph. I don't think it eats the Zooplex either (maybe next time I'll buy the Phytoplex instead). Besides, I only use it every now and then. But the clam does eat Omega Marine pellets.

Just kidding! A pellet would fall in every so often and you can see the clam react just like a person who's about to sneeze. The mantle retracts slowly (ahhhh....), slowly (aaahhhh.....ahhhhhh) and then HUFF! (CHOOOO!!!!) goes the pellet to be picked up by the fish, land on the blasto or on the sand for the nass snails. Speaking of fish, I think my high fish load may be helping the clams out, too.

Thanks Zeph. I don't think it eats the Zooplex either (maybe next time I'll buy the Phytoplex instead). Besides, I only use it every now and then. But the clam does eat Omega Marine pellets.

Just kidding! A pellet would fall in every so often and you can see the clam react just like a person who's about to sneeze. The mantle retracts slowly (ahhhh....), slowly (aaahhhh.....ahhhhhh) and then HUFF! (CHOOOO!!!!) goes the pellet to be picked up by the fish, land on the blasto or on the sand for the nass snails. Speaking of fish, I think my high fish load may be helping the clams out, too.

HAA!!~ That is exactly it. Fish waste is the ultimate clam food. I need more fish. I remember I had a newbie clam keeping friend that would target feed his clam. He would blow food right into the inhale port, and think it was good that the clam would violently open and close. Look its eating - LOL., When I told him it was CHOKING and would most likely DIE if you continued to due that, he stopped.

HAA!!~ That is exactly it. Fish waste is the ultimate clam food. I need more fish. I remember I had a newbie clam keeping friend that would target feed his clam. He would blow food right into the inhale port, and think it was good that the clam would violently open and close. Look its eating - LOL., When I told him it was CHOKING and would most likely DIE if you continued to due that, he stopped.

How many fish are in with Big Bertha? Wouldn't she need a lot of fish waste? Maybe since the clowns excrete waste directly because they're inside her mouth.

Here ya go!

clam_zps9c8b0050.jpg

Now thats what Im talking about. Super healthy big floppy mantle. Very nice wild clam with lots of unusual growth on the shell. If you lived closer I would nap it from you.

here is my 8" derasa....can you spot my 4" crocea :P

AF03418B-DEDA-4815-8FF3-F3D6EBF8D98B-101

SWEET!!! Yes I I see it mid left. Your tank looks great, but I may have to call the cops on you for having that powder blue tang in there. He he heeeee!!

hit the 2 month mark with mine.. it's the first thing I check on in the tank.

So far so good...

They always are. Clams are one of the few reef critters that can look perfect one day, and be completly dead the next. Sometimes completely gutted out without explanation.

Archived