Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL TRIDACNID CLAM THREAD

ZephNYC

CPE contains a minuscule amount of GFO (actually, less minuscule and more pathetic for the price lol). You'd be a lot better off to purchase carbon and GFO separately to use (Phosguard is a better choice if not running in a reactor, though).

Hey Ben, Im upgrading the list, so you have just the blue squammy now ? no Deresa or Maximas ??? ALso I will be sending out the clam shells today. I will PM a trqcking ##.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ben, Im upgrading the list, so you have just the blue squammy now ? no Deresa or Maximas ??? ALso I will be sending out the clam shells today. I will PM a trqcking ##.

I've got the blue squammy and one derasa, and when I do my next LA order, I'll probably be grabbing a black & white maxima :)

And thanks, you're the man!

THank you for the update. Please let me know if you feel the addition od carbon and gfo has had an effect on your clam. I like PO4 removers, but am weary of carbon. I do run a very small amount of carbon just for shitz and giggles.

There hasn't been signifcant difference. Same growth, maybe slightly better color, but quite similar.

Well, not great, but you can see the stripes.

New shell growth about 1/8". W-

Looks great. Clams are goofy...they can live for years and never grow a hair. WHen they do its a really good sign.

Looks great. Clams are goofy...they can live for years and never grow a hair. WHen they do its a really good sign.

Thanks!!! What's really taking off in that tank is the purple eunice gorg to the left!!!

All main branches have grown an inch in 2 months! 5 new limb offshoots!

Thanks!!! What's really taking off in that tank is the purple eunice gorg to the left!!!

All main branches have grown an inch in 2 months! 5 new limb offshoots!

See thats funny because those are the only gorgs that didnt do well for me. I dont know what my problem is but Im only good at keeping the "more difficult stuff". I have lots of exotic gorgs that are doing well. but I had two of those that brown jelly'd on me.

TheKleinReef

Species of clam: 1 Gold Maxima (3") 1 purple Crocea (3")

Lighting: Ecotech Radion Gen1 set at 12K (10am-3) , switching to 18K at around 4pm. max intensity 75%

Clam depth in the tank in inches: 14" both on pieces of rubble resting on the sand.

DOC level estimate: n/a

Do you skim: yes asm g-1 rated for 100g

Do you run carbon: passively in overflow box approximately 1/2cup

Do you run GFO: no, 1/4 cup of phosban

Did you ever freshwater dip the clam: no

Are you seeing new growth: yes. both have 1 new lighter "ridge" underneath the mantle

Calcium/Alk Method: hand dose 1tsp Seachem's advantage Calcium, and 1.5 tsp Seachem's Reef Builder on alternating days

Where and when did you get it: Crocea: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 4/28/2012. Maxima: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 9/22/2012.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: an occasional table spoon of phyto, if i feel like it. which is usually around once every three weeks or so.

change in setup:

Species of clam: 1 Gold Maxima (3")

Lighting: ATI Sunpower 6x39w (4x blue plus, 1x coral pro, 1x purple plus)

Clam depth in the tank in inches: 10" from water surface, 18" from light fixture

Do you run carbon: passively, 1 cup

Do you run GFO: 1/2 cup phosban

Are you seeing new growth: yes. both have 1 new lighter "ridge" underneath the mantle

Calcium/Alk Method: BRS alk/ca

Where and when did you get it: Maxima: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 9/22/2012.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: phyto once a week, azox once a week, reef chili once a week.

change in setup:

Species of clam: 1 Gold Maxima (3")

Lighting: ATI Sunpower 6x39w (4x blue plus, 1x coral pro, 1x purple plus)

Clam depth in the tank in inches: 10" from water surface, 18" from light fixture

Do you run carbon: passively, 1 cup

Do you run GFO: 1/2 cup phosban

Calcium/Alk Method: BRS alk/ca

Where and when did you get it: Maxima: My LFS (Advanced Aquatics) purchased 9/22/2012.

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: phyto once a week, azox once a week, reef chili once a week.

Ahhhh...so youre feeding more I see. Me too. THanks for the update. :)

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? Kessil sky blue 10k

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 6"

DOC level estimate? no idea

Do you skim? No

Do you run carbon? Yes

Do you run GFO? Getting ready to

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? No

Are you seeing new growth? No

Calcium/Alk Method? Waterchanges

Where and when did you get it? Aquapros Chicago about 4 months ago

Do you purposely feed ? No

post-77876-0-53420800-1381101791_thumb.jpg

T. Crocea

Par38 rapidLED for the past year and now (10/2/13) under DIY Full Spectrum in a 40B

2" under par38 and 4" under DIY

DOC no idea

No skim

no carbon

no GFO

dipped my clam about 6 times due to pinched mantle and successful recovery!

yes. 1/4-1/2" in the year (just a guess)

None, just used to use reef crystals and now (since may) red sea coral pro

LFS September 2012

yes every other day I place phyto in a cup of tank water and turkey baste it right in front of it

No pics right now but I will update soon.

My maxima is doing well. He is now moved out of the tub and onto the rockwork directly under my fixture.

Placed an order last night with saltwaterfish for a gold maxima and a derasa. I'll update when they come in!

Upskirt for Zeph - approx. 2 months growth

IMG_29131_zps22678d4d.jpg

Thats allot for only 2 months!!! maybe it had most of that new growth when you got it ??? AnywaY - AWESOME!!

Species of clam: 1 Blue/Teal Maxima 8/30/13, 1 Gold/Orange Squamosa 10/13/13

Lighting: DIY LED fixture from Aquastyleonline.com - dimmable, 36 3 watt LEDs - 18 royal blues, 9 4500K whites, and 9 10000K whites
Clam depth in the tank in inches: Maxima - 7" from water surface, Squamosa - 7" from water surface
DOC level estimate: N/A
Do you skim: No
Do you run carbon: ChemiPure Elite in an AC70 filter
Do you run GFO: ChemiPure Elite in an AC70 filter
Did you ever freshwater dip the clam: No
Are you seeing new growth: Not yet. The maxima has only been in my tank a month and the squamosa is brand new.
Calcium/Alk Method: B-Ionic 2 Part once a day
Where and when did you get it: Maxima - Aquatic Collections (LFS) 8/30/13, Squamosa - Phil Your Aquarium at Reef-a-Palooza 10/13/13

Do you purposely feed your clam(s) and what: I have not yet been feeding them.

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 2 a360w

Clam depth in the tank in inches? 18 in deep

DOC level estimate? whats that

Do you skim? yes aqua c urchin pro s with mag 5

Do you run carbon? no

Do you run GFO? no

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? no but i did dip it in revive on accident

Are you seeing new growth? yes

Calcium/Alk Method? baking soda in a water bottle will invest in a doser soon

Where and when did you get it? got it at aquatic collection in hayward, ca 9/13

Do you purposely feed ? just bought photo feast live

Here's my maxima. No photos of the squamosa yet since it just went in the tank late last night.

IMG_4731Edit.jpg

IMG_4627edit.jpg

Nice shot...It looks like one of Dr. Macs. He does sell wholesale to most of the other vendors. Looks like it's off to a good start too. Thanks for joining in.

Species of clam? Maxima

Lighting - bulb, ballast and count? 2 a360w

DOC level estimate? whats that

Do you skim? yes aqua c urchin pro s with mag 5

Do you run carbon? no

Do you run GFO? no

Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ? no but i did dip it in revive on accident

Are you seeing new growth? yes

Calcium/Alk Method? baking soda in a water bottle will invest in a doser soon

Where and when did you get it? got it at aquatic collection in hayward, ca 9/13

Do you purposely feed ? just bought photo feast live

Any pictures ???? A picture is worth a thousand wordssssssssss

Krazy Klown Krocea B)

7esc.jpg

Species of clam? Pacific cultured crocea
Lighting - total of 900W of halides
DOC level estimate? ??
Do you skim? too much
Do you run carbon? small amounts
Do you run GFO? no
Did you ever freshwater dipped the clam ?
Are you seeing new growth? just got it no
Calcium/Alk Method? Kalk and chlorides
Where and when did you get it? Pacific East Aquaculture Clam heaven 10/15/13
Do you purposely feed ? yes, this tank gets fed cryo preserved phyto 3 x weekly

Check out the color closely on her.... Purple with hot teal teardrops, with yellow inner circles. Sweet and cultured at 3.5"

Nice shot...It looks like one of Dr. Macs. He does sell wholesale to most of the other vendors. Looks like it's off to a good start too. Thanks for joining in.

Any pictures ???? A picture is worth a thousand wordssssssssss

Sorry I forgot to attach

When I first got it null_zps3d5d8b65.jpg

Now it's not looking so good not sure why or what to do

null_zpsd929a022.jpg

null_zpsc14edfda.jpg

The bottom lip is folded and the mouth looks like it's going to throw up something.

Sorry I forgot to attach

When I first got it null_zps3d5d8b65.jpg

Now it's not looking so good not sure why or what to do

null_zpsd929a022.jpg

null_zpsc14edfda.jpg

The bottom lip is folded and the mouth looks like it's going to throw up something.

Sorry to say this but that clam is gone. No return. End of story. Classic and unfortunately typical. There is nothing you can do.

My vacation was literally 26 hours and I come home to find my blue squamosa has left the building :(

That SUX!!!! Sorry to hear that.

All this thread does is convince me that my clams are going to up and die suddenly :( Sorry Ben!

Oh dont think like that you will jinx your clams!!!!!!

Clams are the most challanging animals we typically keep in aquaria. If they were easy everyone would have a tank full of clams.

Oh dont think like that you will jinx your clams!!!!!!

Clams are the most challanging animals we typically keep in aquaria. If they were easy everyone would have a tank full of clams.

Man, and I thought the seahorses were the challenging ones! They seem way easier than clams :) I started with inexpensive clams, and I'm doing my best to keep them alive. If something happens it won't be too devastating though. Zeph, since you have such success, what's the secret?!

Archived