Top Shelf Aquatics

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

I can definitely get lionfish if I wanted to, all I'd have to do is go to the Atlantic and cast a line out.

But no. lol

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NirvanaandTool

Well those are Volies. And they get a little too big for a 80-90g.

Dwarf fuzzy or a Radiata would work nicely. I'm planning both for my 90g but I'm also not planning on having shrimp or small fish besides the occasional snack ;)

jedimasterben

So today I was sitting down, now having basically all of the proper materials to get the light finished, I began assembling everything to start epoxying to the heatsinks - but unfortunately, I cannot continue right now. The stars that the royal blue M from LEDgroupbuy have some metal burs on the outer edges of the bottom of them that hold them up off the heatsink. It is from where the stars are stamped out and connected to each other (just bend/snap to break them apart). I'm going to have to get them off before I can continue. Grrrr...

jedimasterben

Put together another flower box today. :)

A pallet of 60ft3 of topsoil, 49 of which went into this flower box alone, along with two bags of peat and a shitload of Miracle Gro Shake n Feed.

IMG_20140525_144332232.jpg

Pulling up the grass and starting to get them aligned.

IMG_20140525_144321495.jpg

Ran out of weedblock halfway through, thought I had enough :)

IMG_20140525_155430096.jpg

First layer of dirt is down, then peat and shake n feed, then came soaking the peat. Probably put 50 gallons of water or so on it.

IMG_20140525_171120468.jpg

Another layer of dirt, peat, shake n feed, then a cap of dirt and shake n feed, and there she is!

IMG_20140525_181403937.jpg

IMG_20140525_181418899.jpg

Put some stones in it. I figure I can put at least five daisies between each line of stones, hopefully that lasts for a while lol

IMG_6986.jpg

IMG_6991.jpg

We also went to a different nursery out of town and picked up some new flowers for our boxes. We saw they had similar boxes, and made note of what they had growing in them :)

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6996.jpg

IMG_6999.jpg

This one looks sad compared to the others, we didn't buy enough stuff, especially sweet potato vine.

IMG_7001.jpg

And I planted like 12 packs of sunflowers, six or eight different species, much to my wife's dismay. We had nothing in that space, and nothing else was growing there, so I figured I'd try, and boom goes the dynamite. Can't wait to see the 'skyscraper' variety bloom - 12-14' stalks with 14-16" blooms :)

IMG_7001.jpg

After all of that, I am absolutely exhausted!

Those raised beds look great. When can we get the lighting specs? I presume you're using LEDs to supplement the sun? :P

The sun isn't man enough for Ben, which is why he's designed an array of optics powerful enough to burn holes in it with evil clusters to toughen it up. One day it will be up to par, enough to handle his thug daisies.

jedimasterben

All glued! Though I managed to forget the violet LEDs for the little one. <_<

IMG_20140525_231248272.jpg

Also realized I can't draw straight lines worth shit lol

I think the securing, the soldering and wiring is the easiest part. The part I hate is making everything look neat and tidy.

jedimasterben

That's going to take many, many hours more than likely, especially since I've got wire sheath, multiwire cables to keep track of, and the T5 tubes to try and keep looking neat. I also wanted quick disconnects using Molex connectors, but to get the in white will take a lot of time in shipping and wouldn't be too cheap.

jedimasterben

I still might, but then I don't think I could use this really expensive 7-conductor 18AWG solid 600v cable to run from the T5 ballasts to the tubes lol, I think most of the connectors can only do stranded wire 18AWG.

Chew_Magna

We have the same speakers.

Ditch that Razer mouse, the brand is total trash. Nothing like they used to be back in the original Boomslang days.

Archived