Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Well, anyway, I went to Bathtub Beach in Stuart yesterday. Was sad to see how dead the old reef was, but after looking for a little while, I did at least find some nice macroalgae.

Zig zag periwinkles chillin' out in the sun, waiting for high tide. The rock must have been 100 degrees or more, but they didn't seem to mind.

IMG_20140518_151941652.jpg

Some sort of caulerpa I imagine.

IMG_20140518_155315600.jpg

Halimeda opuntia

IMG_20140518_155401426.jpg

Fuzzy chiton, limpets, and some barnacles

IMG_20140518_155532340.jpg

Lots of little tufts of ulva.

IMG_20140518_155536493.jpg

I brought home some of each of those macros. I bought a Trigger Systems Ruby 30 sump yesterday, should hopefully get it this week and will change my current 29g sump into my display fuge, so in the mean time they'll be chilling in my sump to keep them from the rabbitfish, who would nom on them. I did get him a big clump of sargassum to chew on, though. :)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the loss of the fish :( I lost 2 carpet surfers this week and I have 1/4th inch netting.. wtf!!!

sorry about the fish-so far I've had no carpet surfers. I use to try and get filefish but have had no luck with them, they seem to jsut want to jump to their death

jedimasterben

Sorry for the loss of the fish :( I lost 2 carpet surfers this week and I have 1/4th inch netting.. wtf!!!

sorry about the fish-so far I've had no carpet surfers. I use to try and get filefish but have had no luck with them, they seem to jsut want to jump to their death

I've had quite a few jumpers, that's why I made the top, and the only jumpers I've had since then were the pipefish a week or two ago and now the tilefish. My wife wants to have a barnacle blenny for the living room nano, but it would definitely jump out with 1/2" mesh - though when I had one in the 80, it never did jump.

Mr. Microscope

My starlet coral.

IMG_6823.jpg

That's really unique! Can you tell me a little about it? Looks a little like a cross between porites and platygyra. Does it inflate and send out stingers at night?
jedimasterben

That's really unique! Can you tell me a little about it? Looks a little like a cross between porites and platygyra. Does it inflate and send out stingers at night?

Nope, what you see is what you get lol. I can't wait to see how quickly it grows under better light. Right now it's only receiving ~35 PAR. Planning on giving it 4-500.

I leave for 2 months and you still aren't fully operational? What the deuce? On a bus to tech school, fun fun.

Fantastic. Graduated basic finally on Friday, spent the weekend with my wife, and I can finally move on with my career. I even have one of the fancy cell-u-lurr phones again.

jedimasterben

Hell yeah, man, glad to hear it! I should be finishing up my light very soon. I finally got my custom light housings a few weeks back and have been waiting on some newer LEDs to come available, but everything is finally falling into place.

Kick ass. My little rig has been rocking it according to pictures my wife has shown me, it needs some tweaking but I'm unable to make that happen for a while. I didn't get to mount optics before I left and I kept the numbers conservative since I couldn't be there to monitor changes, I still managed to nuke my favorite plate though. Buuuut, all in all I'm very pleased, especially with the color rendition. Which LEDs are you waiting for, any thing I should be aware of before i begin the big rig?

Arkayology

Sucks about the fish Ben. I hope it wasn't too expensive. I know those can sometimes be pricey (I consider a $50 fish pricey :D)

jedimasterben

Kick ass. My little rig has been rocking it according to pictures my wife has shown me, it needs some tweaking but I'm unable to make that happen for a while. I didn't get to mount optics before I left and I kept the numbers conservative since I couldn't be there to monitor changes, I still managed to nuke my favorite plate though. Buuuut, all in all I'm very pleased, especially with the color rendition. Which LEDs are you waiting for, any thing I should be aware of before i begin the big rig?

There are a few things that have changed in this short time, but nothing TOO drastic. For the big one, though, we'll get you up to speed :)

Sucks about the fish Ben. I hope it wasn't too expensive. I know those can sometimes be pricey (I consider a $50 fish pricey :D)

The only reason I bought it was because they were the 'on special' fish with that order and were 50% off of their normal $70 price. :(

Sounds good. I'm relegated to research and acquisition rather than hands on work for a bit, but it's never too early to get started. Also, and I mean this with all due respect, you should mix up your fish purchases. Maybe try some durable preds or something. It sucks when i hear you've been crushed with another loss.

jedimasterben

Sounds good. I'm relegated to research and acquisition rather than hands on work for a bit, but it's never too early to get started.

Exactly. I'll have some stuff to report in the next week or so on how the Luxeon 'lime' mixes in with the Bridgelux chips and Luxeon M royals.

Also, and I mean this with all due respect, you should mix up your fish purchases. Maybe try some durable preds or something. It sucks when i hear you've been crushed with another loss.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing - the rabbitfish, the uncommon tang, the fang blenny, and then that tilefish - what really sucks is earlier that day my wife and I were talking about that mesh top and that I should either put another layer offset (since it is 1/2" holes right now, another offset layer would make it 1/4") or replace the mesh with 1/4", and then we come home to find fish jerky about 4' away from the tank (that thing really got a running start to jump that far).

I'm thinking more along the lines of a fuzzy dwarf lion and a leaf fish or something. Just something interesting but slow and durable. Limes you say? What does that bring to the spectral range that we don't have all ready?

jedimasterben

I'm thinking more along the lines of a fuzzy dwarf lion and a leaf fish or something. Just something interesting but slow and durable. Limes you say? What does that bring to the spectral range that we don't have all ready?

Heck, if I were going for something like that, I'd go full-on warty angler, but I've got smaller fish that I don't want to be snacked on, and he'd probably still try and eat something like the rabbitfish and would kill itself in the process lol

So you're digging the lime, huh? I liked the look of them in the fixtures that were starting to roll out with them recently. I think they look ruuulll guud

jedimasterben

Only Nanobox is using them right now lol.

So one thing I've noticed now that I have a good (but small) light over the tank - the fish are MUCH less scared of me than before. The corals all look as good as they did (minus the starlet coral that is almost completely shaded now since it's behind the rocks), the duncan is kinda mad since it went from around 50 PAR to ~120ish in just a few minutes, but it will adjust, I've kept them in much higher intensity than that before.

I have no clue how it made it out of the top. The holes are a little less than 1/2", and the fish shouldn't have been able to squeeze through. The fish was definitely strong enough to push the top out of the way on one jump and then leap out the next, but the top was right in place when I got home. :(

When Rehype was visiting me a couple of weeks ago, we were talking about suicidal fish. He watched his blue dot jaw fish one night (at least I think it was a blue dot jawfish he was talking about). The fish darted up very precisely in a line, symmetrically, almost with military precision, testing every cm of the screen top for a path. It wasn't a random jump like Grumpy Glen used to do every day. It was a controlled intelligent testing of the human net system.

NirvanaandTool

Liking this idea. Mainly because I'm doing something similar. Dwarf lion, plus maybe a medium bodied lion and fish that are too large for it to snack on.

Quick hurry and get your dwarf lion now before all lions are outlawed in Florida.

Reefmaster1996

Who says that will stop Ben, I'm sure he could source one if he wanted, if that happens.

Archived