inTank Media Baskets

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

I hate to bring bad news , but when one of my pipes decided to launch itself out of the tank it was about 2 weeks until the other one gave up. :tears:

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yeah, when I had my previous pair a year or so ago, i lost one, and the other stopped eating and disappeared. :(

Nice pictures - and no more collecting from the wild, Ben. You're asking for trouble doing that ;)

As for the peroxide - cool that it worked! All the pellets looked to have been in the bubbles in the upper part of the beaker. Also, where are you getting 7% peroxide?

I've got to recharge my purigen this weekend and figure out a way to store it.

jedimasterben

Nice pictures - and no more collecting from the wild, Ben. You're asking for trouble doing that ;)

Better tell that to collectors worldwide ;)

As for the peroxide - cool that it worked! All the pellets looked to have been in the bubbles in the upper part of the beaker. Also, where are you getting 7% peroxide?

I've got to recharge my purigen this weekend and figure out a way to store it.

I still haven't drained the peroxide from the beaker, and it is still bubbling after 24 hours of last checking it! I can get 7% peroxide from a pool supply store here, but the Purigen is now pearly white - so there is really no need for anything over 3%, just leave it in for a couple of days.

I store mine dry. You can store it in water, but it really won't matter.

Better tell that to collectors worldwide ;)

I still haven't drained the peroxide from the beaker, and it is still bubbling after 24 hours of last checking it! I can get 7% peroxide from a pool supply store here, but the Purigen is now pearly white - so there is really no need for anything over 3%, just leave it in for a couple of days.

I store mine dry. You can store it in water, but it really won't matter.

Gotcha. I'm intrigued byt he peroxide because it's cheaper and less harmful to a tank if it happens to get in. Where did you get the idea?

jedimasterben

Oh snap, tank ain't killing corals anymore? :)

Doesn't seem like, but I have seen a few strange bubbles hanging around... :unsure:

Gotcha. I'm intrigued byt he peroxide because it's cheaper and less harmful to a tank if it happens to get in. Where did you get the idea?

I don't know. I just thought about it since peroxide is a more reactive oxidizer than bleach, so I looked it up, and it's a thing. Seachem says that it might work, but bleach works faster - well, peroxide works almost as fast (realistically overnight was basically fully regenerated) and is better.

jedimasterben

Any pic updates for the light?

It's still in pieces strewn across my house, and some are in transit still. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get everything all done and picworthy :)

Seems like you're back on track. Sorry about the fish torpedo.

Yep, and I hope it stays on the path it's going. All is rather smooth sailin' :)

jedimasterben

IMG_20140516_181921462.jpg

Just to show how large this beast is, and how inefficient their digestive tracts are, this thing shits out WHOLE PE mysis.

IMG_20140516_213656557.jpg

It's kinda big.

IMG_20140516_214051243.jpg

And it's already made me realize my mesh top is not going to be good by itself. It's already attempted suicide twice, splashing water way out of the tank, and moved the cover a bit each time, so if it does multiple death jumps in a row, things could get bad in a hurry. Gonna put a tiny piece of Velcro on the back edge of the top and tank to hold it in place, that'll keep it in :)

jedimasterben

I loved oversized stands. Can't wait to see a nice light over this bad mamma jamma.

Soon! It's all starting to come together! :)

Mine starts to come together then I read this guys post and I totally question everything and change things up again.

jedimasterben

Well, you're lucky, and I wish mine did, because I came home and he was nowhere to be found... until I checked the floor. He went straight through my mesh top :( :( :(

jedimasterben

I have no clue how it made it out of the top. The holes are a little less than 1/2", and the fish shouldn't have been able to squeeze through. The fish was definitely strong enough to push the top out of the way on one jump and then leap out the next, but the top was right in place when I got home. :(

When my wrasse jumped he made it into a surface skimmer box, then out the back. I have glass lids so harder to push out of the way but at an angle it might be able to bump it up high enough to squeeze out, and it would fall back in place like nothing happened.

Archived