ReefCleaners.org

Beware the Shallows

jedimasterben

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Thanks!

FM Ultra Algae says it kills dino on the bottle. Spendy though.

It doesn't, save your money.

So you spurred me into my second 'dip'. I went to the extreme. You probably shouldn't do this unless you get desperate.

I drained the 10g coral QT of saltwater, and filled it to the brim with straight RO/DI water. Took about 20 seconds to drain using a pump, and maybe a minute to fill up since I didn't want to splash a lot. The stuff on the bottom got the most exposure, since after I had it filled with straight FW I timed a minute, then began to drain it, which took another 20 seconds or so. I then filled it with saltwater, dumped in about 4mL of KZ Coral Snow (stirred up a LOAD of shit), and will be dosing Aquavitro Alpha as often as possible - I'm certain that I killed a lot of shit in there and will really rough up the biofilter. Bagging up some carbon to drop in in the morning to hopefully remove any ciguatoxin and palytoxin released from dead and dying dinos.

Fingers crossed, guys!

About 14 hours and I'll be picking up my Nanobox stuff from Dave at Reefapalooza :happydance:

I expect pictures in approximately 14.1 hours

I bet that thing can grow dino's like nobody's business! :P

Kinda funny and wrong at the same time. Hope the Dinos stay out of that tank.

lol ya, me too :) Had to tease though!

jedimasterben

I bet that thing can grow dino's like nobody's business! :P

Dickbag... :P

Me too, though when I got home I saw a couple of strange bubbles on a rock. Gulp.

So that is the sexy housing for the LEDs? What are you doing for the T5s?

The reflectors are here, too. Dave did forget a couple of the parts (driver housings, one T5 ballast, and the heatsink for the big unit), but those will ship out once he gets back home.

I'd tap dat :o:naughtydance:omgomgomg

Hey now, keep back, it's mine to tap! ;)

Forgot to mention that I also stumped Julian Sprung when I talked to him today, I asked him about my dinos to see if he had any advice, and after listing off all I had done, he was like I can't think of anything else that might help! He did mention that there absolutely needs to be something to outcompete the Ostreopsis, and suggested that the next time I go to the beach or the Indian River Lagoon (where I do my collecting) to grab some sand to put into the system and see if it helps. If this last freshwater dousing didn't work, I'll give that shot next, but I'm praying to the very angry reef gods that I won't need to.

Dickbag... :P

Me too, though when I got home I saw a couple of strange bubbles on a rock. Gulp.

The reflectors are here, too. Dave did forget a couple of the parts (driver housings, one T5 ballast, and the heatsink for the big unit), but those will ship out once he gets back home.

Hey now, keep back, it's mine to tap! ;)

Forgot to mention that I also stumped Julian Sprung when I talked to him today, I asked him about my dinos to see if he had any advice, and after listing off all I had done, he was like I can't think of anything else that might help! He did mention that there absolutely needs to be something to outcompete the Ostreopsis, and suggested that the next time I go to the beach or the Indian River Lagoon (where I do my collecting) to grab some sand to put into the system and see if it helps. If this last freshwater dousing didn't work, I'll give that shot next, but I'm praying to the very angry reef gods that I won't need to.

Why can't it be everyones to tap? LOL!

Out-compete it you say? Bio-pellets should feed dino's or no? Could the carbon actually feed the good stuff and help out-compete?

jedimasterben

Out-compete it you say? Bio-pellets should feed dino's or no? Could the carbon actually feed the good stuff and help out-compete?

At the very least this species, though not necessarily carbon-limited IMHO, has a population explosion when exposed to sodium ascorbate. Haven't tried vinegar, sugar, or vodka for quite a while, though interesting to note that significant quantities of vinegar used to increase saturation of kalkwasser did not affect the population (and actually seemed to help a little bit, idk for sure though, bastards still came back with a vengeance).

At the very least this species, though not necessarily carbon-limited IMHO, has a population explosion when exposed to sodium ascorbate. Haven't tried vinegar, sugar, or vodka for quite a while, though interesting to note that significant quantities of vinegar used to increase saturation of kalkwasser did not affect the population (and actually seemed to help a little bit, idk for sure though, bastards still came back with a vengeance).

JW because I run pellets and never noticed a difference. The strongest correlation was light ofc... they won't grow in my fuge (low light) and I had an explosion of them a long while back when I cranked up my light to 100%.

I would have suggested you did a low light tank or a NPS tank but I figure thats like asking you to give up your religion :D

I rarely understand the technical talk here (a blue and red computer??) But I like your tank ;)

Honestly, ben, for out competing the dino, you might want to use that nualgi stuff. It's a long shot but if your only option is to starve the dino, diatoma might be the way to go.

jedimasterben

JW because I run pellets and never noticed a difference. The strongest correlation was light ofc... they won't grow in my fuge (low light) and I had an explosion of them a long while back when I cranked up my light to 100%.

I would have suggested you did a low light tank or a NPS tank but I figure thats like asking you to give up your religion :D

They would still exist and thrive unless there were no light on the tank for months - even then, more than likely they would just encyst, rupturing when conditions return to being favorable.

They would still exist and thrive unless there were no light on the tank for months - even then, more than likely they would just encyst, rupturing when conditions return to being favorable.

Yeah, thats why you have have to settle with low light or NPS for the rest of your LIFE!!

O snap.. happy bday :)

jedimasterben

Yeah, thats why you have have to settle with low light or NPS for the rest of your LIFE!!

I could do that - but even NPS tanks would need light so that I could see them - otherwise what would be the point? lol

O snap.. happy bday :)

HAPPY BIRFDAY BENNYKINS!!!!

:wub:

Just toss all the old rock, corals, sand, etc. Don't let that stuff touch the new tank!

It's all lost to me at this moment anyway - anything in it that dies is just 'oh well' - except for my maxi mini anemones, those will NOT be discarded. I mean, look at these things! I could have a tank FULL of them and be no happier!

IMG_6390.jpg

Happy B-Day Ol' Timer! (I said it loud so you could hear me)

LOL thanks :)

Well, I guess they are worth saving :P I am just not sure how you can make sure that you can transfer them without the dinos also coming with? You need some kind of complex transfer process.

It's all lost to me at this moment anyway - anything in it that dies is just 'oh well' - except for my maxi mini anemones, those will NOT be discarded. I mean, look at these things! I could have a tank FULL of them and be no happier!

IMG_6390.jpg

Archived